C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LG Production Headers!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2003, 12:18 PM
Godspeed
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default LG Production Headers!

We have completed prototype testing of the new LG long tube headers.

The performance results of the new production headers look right on par with the custom headers we have been doing. Here are the results from one of our test mules:

With no other changes the car went from 312.3RWHP/319.5RWTQ to 333.9RWHP/347.1RWTQ. This was a peak gain of 21RWHP and 28RWTQ in the same day on a stock engined car. Other areas under the graph had even larger gains of 37RWHP and 34RWTQ.

The new LGM Long Tube system (produced by Borla) is a complete bolt in system from header all the way to the cat back. It includes merge style collectors, a 3" x-pipe, and the mid pipes to connect to your existing cat back - but will not include cats at this time.*

We are 3-4 weeks away from shipping these new headers. Beginning Monday, June 23, 2003, we will begin taking order for the new header system. The pre order pricing for the complete system will be 1495.00 + tax/shipping. After this point, regular pricing for the headers will be 1595.00. Give us a call at 972.272.7753 to place your order and be one of the first to receive them.

*We are working with Random Tech to produce a new cat setup for our production headers. These new cats are reported to flow as good as off road pipes. Pricing and performance results will be posted when they are available for the cats.

For some additional pictures of the headers:
http://64.83.80.220/pics/headers/

[Modified by Godspeed, 11:23 AM 6/22/2003]
Old 06-22-2003, 12:33 PM
Dugmole
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Default Re: LG Production Headers! (Godspeed)

Do you take trade in's ? :D
Old 06-22-2003, 12:57 PM
0Vette Stripes
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08
Default Re: LG Production Headers! (Dugmole)

Wow, look killer and made by Borla so the quality will be awsum.
:cheers:
Old 06-22-2003, 01:05 PM
MeatheadsC5
Burning Brakes

Default Re: LG Production Headers! (mike76002)

Looks great I must say - maybe next year, my TTS will get upgraded!
Old 06-22-2003, 01:06 PM
kewlbrz
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Jeremy, Could you describe the differences between the existing LG Longtubes, and these new ones? For example, is the same racing merge collector used, are the flange thicknesses the same, etc.

Also, I beleive you guys said stainless works fabricate your existing long tubes. Will borla be producing these themselves in house? And stainless works is going to be completely out of the picture now?
Old 06-22-2003, 02:07 PM
FSTRTHNU-97C5
Heel & Toe

Default Re: LG Production Headers! (kewlbrz)

holy cow I could use some of those! are they 1-7/8 or 1-3/4??????
also what is the aprox weight on the system?? or just heavier/lighter than stock will do.

i will be calling LG tomorrow :auto:
Old 06-22-2003, 02:12 PM
kumar75150
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts

Is it possible to order them without the 3" x-pipe and the mid pipes? If that is possible and would reduce the cost, I am very very interested.

I already have 3" piping from the headers all the way back to the tips.
Old 06-22-2003, 02:13 PM
Z06 scotty
Instructor

What are the length of each pipe they should be of equal length ?
do the collecters still have the putty installed? :steering:
Old 06-22-2003, 02:22 PM
alexWS6
Drifting

Default Re: LG Production Headers! (Z06 scotty)

Nice! If we get one of the first systems you mentioned but we want to add cats in later will the system be compatible to incorporate some without cutting and welding? Doesnt look like it but I thought I'd ask since I love the way FLP's has theres setup like that.

Also the mentioned price is for stainless uncoated correct? The headers in the pic seem to have a little shine on them, could be just some polishing though.
Old 06-22-2003, 02:31 PM
C5 StockSwap
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

Jeremy:

I too have been waiting and will be probably one of your first orders. More information please, as detailed above. Also, the following:

1. I have a Corsa Indies and Corsa X-Pipe. I understood the original "custom" headers could bolt right up to that...still true?

2. What about the ability to drop the cats and put in the straight pipe...not an option with the production model? Although the option for the "upcoming cats that flow like off-road pipes" would be better for me. Is that a retrofit for early purchasers???

Thanks...

Steve

[Modified by C5 StockSwap, 1:37 PM 6/22/2003]
Old 06-22-2003, 02:53 PM
pridnjoy
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Re: LG Production Headers! (C5 StockSwap)

I too am interested. I am waiting to hear the answers from the above questions. :yesnod:
Old 06-22-2003, 04:43 PM
wstory1
Race Director

Very interested. More information please! Was re-tuning necessary to get these numbers? How difficult will it be to swap from the off-road pipe to cats when they're available?

[Modified by wstory1, 4:46 PM 6/22/2003]
Old 06-22-2003, 05:06 PM
Mean Green
Team Owner

CI III & IV Vote Ho
CI II, III, IV & V Vet
CI IV Bracket Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Default Re: LG Production Headers! (alexWS6)

......but we want to add cats in later will the system be compatible to incorporate some without cutting and welding? ...
I think you could snag that system as is, and get a set of random tech cats, push the xpipe back by cutting back the over-the-axle pipes, would require some customizing but I think it'd work...and having an original set of LGM headers, this is an awesome setup!
Old 06-22-2003, 05:11 PM
SnowyATX
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 211 Posts

Godspeed,

Do these headers hang down real low on the car....i.e. would they end up being lower than anything else under the car? - thanks
Old 06-22-2003, 05:42 PM
molon labe
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

those do look awesome, and the numbers and graph look great too.

i have the same questions that a couple others have already asked ...

1. made by Borla? what about SW?

2. are they 1.75"?

3. weight?

4. how low do they hang?

thanks,
ken

Old 06-22-2003, 06:03 PM
etekberg
Drifting

Received 256 Likes on 122 Posts

Sweeet... Same questions as everyone else, plus:

1) What are the exact differences between this model and the original headers?

2) How does this system install, is it 3 pieces? is it all bolt up? or is welding required?

3) How will payment work for pre-ordered units, eg. charge now or charge when ship? and can you calculate shipping to 92648 zip code. Thanks.
-Eric
Old 06-22-2003, 06:30 PM
Sean03
Racer

Default Re: LG Production Headers! (etekberg)

From the pics it looks like each side is one piece? Where do they break?

thanks

sean

Get notified of new replies

To LG Production Headers!

Old 06-22-2003, 07:25 PM
Godspeed
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Hi guys, I'll try to answer your questions as best as I can, if I miss something, just smack me on the side of the head and I'll get you answer.

Do you take trade in's ?
Unfortunately not. :lol: :lol:

Jeremy, Could you describe the differences between the existing LG Longtubes, and these new ones? For example, is the same racing merge collector used, are the flange thicknesses the same, etc.
Also, I beleive you guys said stainless works fabricate your existing long tubes. Will borla be producing these themselves in house? And stainless works is going to be completely out of the picture now?
The flange thickness is the same as the custom headers. The collectors are merge style, but they lack the diamond shaped goilet internally that the $600 dynatech collectors had. The primaries of the custom headers were mandrel bent by Stainless Works, and we did the test in house. The new production headers will be 100% produced by Borla and will show up at our facilties in a box. We will still have the ability to produce the same custom headers using the tubes from SW, but will be doing some in a more limited capacity. The only other major differences if that we aren't using the indexed stainless v-flanges of the prior system. :cool:

holy cow I could use some of those! are they 1-7/8 or 1-3/4??????
also what is the aprox weight on the system?? or just heavier/lighter than stock will do.
The primaries are 1 3/4" and 32" long. Not sure of the exact weight, I will check. I believe they are lighter than the stock cast iron manifolds.

Is it possible to order them without the 3" x-pipe and the mid pipes? If that is possible and would reduce the cost, I am very very interested.
When we were making them ourselves we could sell you them however you wanted. However now they are being produced by Borla and will arrive as a complete kit. I don't believe we can sell the headers seperate, but I will double check to make sure.

What are the length of each pipe they should be of equal length ?
do the collecters still have the putty installed?
The primary tubes are 32" +/- 1". The high temp cement compound we used initially for sealing the racing merge collectors was replaced with a welding process. That was the only way we could guarantee a sure seal. We replaced or repaired every set of headers that we had used the high temp sealant on. The new headers will have the collectors completely welded as well.

Nice! If we get one of the first systems you mentioned but we want to add cats in later will the system be compatible to incorporate some without cutting and welding? Doesnt look like it but I thought I'd ask since I love the way FLP's has theres setup like that.
Also the mentioned price is for stainless uncoated correct? The headers in the pic seem to have a little shine on them, could be just some polishing though.
Yes, there will be no cutting or welding required to add the cats later - they will be interchangeable. This pricing does included uncoated stainless steel. To have them coated is an extra $300. They do look very nice uncoated. After running them on the car they turn to a golden bronze and will never rust or change colors.

1. I have a Corsa Indies and Corsa X-Pipe. I understood the original "custom" headers could bolt right up to that...still true?

2. What about the ability to drop the cats and put in the straight pipe...not an option with the production model? Although the option for the "upcoming cats that flow like off-road pipes" would be better for me. Is that a retrofit for early purchasers???
1. It will bolt right up to the Corsa Indies, but comes with it's own x-pipe.

2. The cats will be a retrofit and are interchangeable with the x-pipe. We won't be using the straight off road pipes.

[quoteVery interested. More information please! Was re-tuning necessary to get these numbers? How difficult will it be to swap from the off-road pipe to cats when they're available?[/quote]

No tuning was done, only the headers was changed. The cats are interchangeable without too much work, but will probably require putting it on a lift. I will get more details on this later.

Do these headers hang down real low on the car....i.e. would they end up being lower than anything else under the car? -
They provide for pretty good clearance, we have worked quote a bit on fitment to get them as high as possible, but they too hang lower than stock.

Old 06-22-2003, 07:31 PM
Mean Green
Team Owner

CI III & IV Vote Ho
CI II, III, IV & V Vet
CI IV Bracket Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

They provide for pretty good clearance, we have worked quote a bit on fitment to get them as high as possible, but they too hang lower than stock.
the original set cleared fine...I can only assume these will do the same :)
Old 06-22-2003, 07:36 PM
C5 StockSwap
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: LG Production Headers! (Mean Green 2000)

the original set cleared fine...I can only assume these will do the same :)
Jeremy: Based on Mark's statement...Will they hang any lower than the custom LG headers or the same?

Thanks for taking the time...I'll be calling as soon as I get back from the 50th events...will that be too late?

Quick Reply: LG Production Headers!