C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who can provide me a rebuilt rear diff with BOTH hardened output shafts??

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2003, 11:18 AM
rwj383
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default who can provide me a rebuilt rear diff with BOTH hardened output shafts??

This question appears to be a real challenge. does anyone provide a rebuilt diff that i supplied with hardened LEFT and RIGHT output shafts??? Just so I am clear, I am speaking of a hardened 300M long (pass side) output shaft and hardened 300M (driver side) output shaft. I cant seem to make myself clear enough in other posts of a certain vendor to such a point to warrant a smartie-pants response. Perhaps i am just lost here. Am i clear at all or am i coming off totally ambiguous?? Anyway, if ANYONE can answer this question without a response that makes me feel stupid, that'd be great. THANKS!!
Robert judd
Old 06-20-2003, 11:27 AM
dmcantrell
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: who can provide me a rebuilt rear diff with BOTH hardened output shafts?? (rwj383)

This might help for half of your question:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=582469

--dc.
Old 06-20-2003, 11:31 AM
16Again
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12, '20

Default Re: who can provide me a rebuilt rear diff with BOTH hardened output shafts?? (rwj383)

Robert give Keith Valone (Corvette Connection) a call. 239 274-6840 leave him a message and he will return your call. Keith should be able to hook you up, just finished a 3.73 for me with a hardened long shaft (left side) including new clutch pack. :reddevil :cheers:

Bob
Old 06-20-2003, 11:34 AM
rwj383
Melting Slicks

Default Re: who can provide me a rebuilt rear diff with BOTH hardened output shafts?? (dmcantrell)

dmcantrell: yepper, good post. thanks for the connection. I will follow it closely. I hate to go through the trouble of doing a diff rebuild if we only replace on of the shafts. So, what is the next weekest link?? Trans output shaft??

16Again: I will certainly give Keith at Corvette Connection a call about his diffs. Do i say you sent me???!?!?!

[Modified by rwj383, 8:36 AM 6/20/2003]
Old 06-20-2003, 11:49 AM
NEPTUNEBILL
Melting Slicks

I would do a search for a recent post (in the past week) under
"crashed94"(forum member) his name is Rodney and he is building what you want even has pictures in the post, Rodney also modifies transmissions
Old 06-20-2003, 12:07 PM
dmcantrell
Racer

rwj383 -- I feel your pain. I followed the post you were on about the GP on rear differentials from DTE. To their credit -- they did answer your question in the thread. However, the smart-butt response to your question was unnecessary and IMO unprofessional.

NEPTUNEBILL -- The post you are referring to is the one I referenced above. The pictures look great!! Looks like some quality work to me.

--dc.
Old 06-20-2003, 02:30 PM
DTE Powertrain
Collections Hold

Default Re: who can provide me a rebuilt rear diff with BOTH hardened output shafts?? (dmcantrell)

dmcantrell and rwj383-

I believe that both of you have looked into my response too far in saying I was negative towards you. I has no altererior motive behind my response, as I was just answering your question. I even ended it with a >:).

;)

Regards,
Phil @ DTE
Old 06-20-2003, 08:39 PM
rwj383
Melting Slicks

Default Re: who can provide me a rebuilt rear diff with BOTH hardened output shafts?? (DynoTech Engineering)

dmcantrell and rwj383-

I believe that both of you have looked into my response too far in saying I was negative towards you. I has no altererior motive behind my response, as I was just answering your question. I even ended it with a >:).

;)

Regards,
Phil @ DTE
That's true, Phil...no hard feelings here. That response just rubbed me wrong because you gotta know it's not always easy to gleen info from an active post. I swear i read the entire post 5x and didnt see the answer. Anyway...

Anyway, I am on the fence here with the diff. Like anyone, I only want to pull this thing out once. I have a good question: why have the long shafts been available in the 300M material for some time now but the stubby is not?? Is it hard to manufacture?? I am following Crashed94's post and research on his hardened shafts. I may wait to see what that yields before making my purchase. Thanks
Old 06-21-2003, 02:20 AM
DTE Powertrain
Collections Hold

The long side shaft was fracturing/twisting at the radius just before the outer halfshaft splines, so they were developed first to correct the breakage issue.

It wasn't until recently that people started to twist off the short shaft side because the long side was upgraded and the short side was not.

It appears as if most breakage problems occur at the dragstrip when the clutch is heavily dumped at a high engine RPM and the car hooks hard, therefore breaking the short or long side.

The question you need to ask yourself is what will be next when both shafts are replaced and someone does a brutal clutch dump at the track? I see the OE cast spider gears/side gears breaking next..... 95% of the market will not have any adverse effects of going to just the long shaft, or the short shaft or both..... It is just for the minority few that will have to watch themselves at the starting line.

Regards,
DTE
Old 06-21-2003, 07:43 AM
16Again
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12, '20

16Again: I will certainly give Keith at Corvette Connection a call about his diffs. Do i say you sent me???!?!?!
Sure you can, no problem. :yesnod:

Bob
Old 06-28-2003, 01:12 PM
Barely Legal
Burning Brakes

Default Re: who can provide me a rebuilt rear diff with BOTH hardened output shafts?? (16Again)

I am considering 3.90's with the shaft. I'll let you all know on the 5th at the latest.

One thing I have not read yet is what brand of gears are you using?
Old 06-28-2003, 09:21 PM
Wadoka
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04
Cruise-In 1-2-3-4-5 Veteran

Default Re: who can provide me a rebuilt rear diff with BOTH hardened output shafts?? (DynoTech Engineering)

The question you need to ask yourself is what will be next when both shafts are replaced and someone does a brutal clutch dump at the track? I see the OE cast spider gears/side gears breaking next...
That sounds like we should start considering which part we'd rather sacrifice, on a cost-to-replace scale. "Do I want to twist a shaft...or do I want to replace the guts of the differential..."

Yoiks.

Get notified of new replies

To who can provide me a rebuilt rear diff with BOTH hardened output shafts??

Quick Reply: who can provide me a rebuilt rear diff with BOTH hardened output shafts??