C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone tried this...Fuel Pump Shutoff Switch?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2003, 11:33 AM
SMX
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone tried this...Fuel Pump Shutoff Switch?

This should work for some added security to your car. The fuel pump turns on when you turn your ignition on. The pump is located in the back of the car. Find the wire that runs to the pump. Put in a toggle switch and mount it in your car...hidden. So now if anyone tries to steal the car either by hotwiring or even by using your keys... the car won't start. Engine will keep turning but no fuel pump running. Had this done to my old car. Still have to do it the C5.

Has this topic been discussed before? Any one tried it?
Old 06-17-2003, 11:51 AM
ICULUKN-C5
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: Anyone tried this...Fuel Pump Shutoff Switch? (SMX)

I can tell you from experience, Most thieves wont steal vettes. The factory security, with the chip in the key is pretty good. But, if they really want it, they will just back a truck up and take it. Keep you insurance up to date, and park it in the garage.
Old 06-17-2003, 01:38 PM
55SUX
Racer

That's an old theft deterent scheme. It's worthwhile if you have something you can't replace. I look at it this way. If someone steals my C5, I'll just go buy a new one. the insurance company will probably give me more money than I could sell it for and surely more than any stealership on a trade. If it does get stolen, i just hope I never see it again.
Old 06-17-2003, 07:37 PM
16Again
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12, '20

I have a cut-off in my car as part of the aftermarket alarm system. Works just the way it should. Nobody can start the car unless I tell them how to turn on the pump. Of course theives always have a way of getting what they want, this is just a slow down for them. :cheers:

Bob
Old 06-17-2003, 07:42 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Easier to put a well hidden in-line switch in the clutch pedal switch. Car won't even crank over. Inexpensive too! :D
Of course this only works with us 6spd guys. For you auto folks, try locating the input wire going into the TDR's (Theft Deterrent Relay) contacts and install the switch into that wire.

Robert

[Modified by LoneStarFRC, 6:45 PM 6/17/2003]
Old 06-17-2003, 10:17 PM
SnowyATX
Safety Car

Received 311 Likes on 210 Posts

Default Re: Anyone tried this...Fuel Pump Shutoff Switch? (LoneStarFRC)

:iagree:
Old 06-18-2003, 03:48 AM
SHOWTIME!
Safety Car

Default Re: Anyone tried this...Fuel Pump Shutoff Switch? (PewterC5)

I used a flat pressure sensitive switch hidden under a panel.
You push the panel to enable the pump.
Totally hidden and Impossible to find.
No one uses these switches :thumbs:

[Modified by SHOWTIME!, 6:54 PM 6/18/2003]
Old 06-18-2003, 10:36 AM
SMX
Racer

I know that if someone wants to steal your car they will. The city I live in has the highest car theft rate in North America. With these type of easy deterrents... a thief can't steal your car even if he has your keys... well your typical thief at least. Anyways thanks for the info... Can someone explain that whole clutch pedal switch thing in some more detail? Thanks.
Old 06-18-2003, 08:39 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

I know that if someone wants to steal your car they will. The city I live in has the highest car theft rate in North America. With these type of easy deterrents... a thief can't steal your car even if he has your keys... well your typical thief at least. Anyways thanks for the info... Can someone explain that whole clutch pedal switch thing in some more detail? Thanks.
All the MM6 cars have a clutch pedal switch that must be depressed before the car will start. Pushing in the clutch pedal accomplishes this. The switch itself is located directly behind the clutch pedal arm.
If memory serves I believe I installed my rocker style switch in series with the yellow wire the goes to the switch. Snip the wire and splice one side to one contact on the new switch and the other to the other side of the switch. Now, with the extra switch installed, the Theft Deterrent Relay (in the pass. side footwell) thinks the clutch pedal switch was never depressed, and therefore does not allow for the starter to engage. Like I say, I believe it was the yellow wire that I spliced into but don't quote me because I don't have my service manual with me right now and it's been a couple of years ago that I installed the switch.
Just hide the switch itself (and wiring) wherever you want to and you're in
business. Hope that helps.
Robert :)
Old 06-18-2003, 09:26 PM
AC54ME
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9 Veteran
CI-VI Car Show Winner
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

All the MM6 cars have a clutch pedal switch that must be depressed before the car will start. Pushing in the clutch pedal accomplishes this. The switch itself is located directly behind the clutch pedal arm.
If memory serves I believe I installed my rocker style switch in series with the yellow wire the goes to the switch. Snip the wire and splice one side to one contact on the new switch and the other to the other side of the switch. Now, with the extra switch installed, the Theft Deterrent Relay (in the pass. side footwell) thinks the clutch pedal switch was never depressed, and therefore does not allow for the starter to engage. Like I say, I believe it was the yellow wire that I spliced into but don't quote me because I don't have my service manual with me right now and it's been a couple of years ago that I installed the switch.
Just hide the switch itself (and wiring) wherever you want to and you're in
business. Hope that helps.
Robert :)
I am going to try this :smash:
Old 06-19-2003, 01:58 PM
2kbluestreak
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Anyone tried this...Fuel Pump Shutoff Switch? (AC54ME)

When cars had carburators, I had a cut-off switch under the dash that disabled the electric fuel pump. The theory here being that a thief would get your car started and the engine would cut out in 30 seconds after he got on the highway. At this point, he would be too nervous to mess with a stolen car in the middle of the road. It worked because a couple times I forgot to turn the switch on.
For any system to be truly effective, it has to be relatively unique, or a thief would know where to look to overcome it. So, do your own thing. particularly if you have $$ in mods that your insurance company won't recognize. :cheers:
Old 06-19-2003, 08:11 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Default Re: Anyone tried this...Fuel Pump Shutoff Switch? (2kbluestreak)

For any system to be truly effective, it has to be relatively unique, or a thief would know where to look to overcome it. So, do your own thing. particularly if you have $$ in mods that your insurance company won't recognize. :cheers:
:iagree: Of course I never said the hidden switch is the only extra measure I've taken to prevent theft. A couple of hard nosed friends of mine are available to help too. Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson. :reddevil
Old 06-20-2003, 03:04 AM
jmX
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If somebody is gonna steal a C5, they're gonna back a truck up to it and tow it away. I doubt many people break into them and try to hotwire it or otherwise, towing seems to be the theft method of choice from what I can tell on the news.

Jon
http://www.c5howto.com
Old 06-20-2003, 12:00 PM
rgregory
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 74 Posts

I have done this on my two old cars ('70 vette and '68 camaro). Since they are carburated they will actually run until the fuel bowls empty but they won't go far.
Old 06-21-2003, 02:19 AM
ScreaminDemon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Anyone tried this...Fuel Pump Shutoff Switch? (jmX)

That's why I always back into parking spaces!!!!!!!! No one would ever get a hook under the front of a lowered C5. But if they want it bad enough to tear it up, I'm sure they will find a way. But the more deterrants, the less likely it will be stolen because it just takes too much time. Most thieves will walk if it takes more than a minute. :cheers:
Old 06-21-2003, 02:26 AM
ScreaminDemon
Drifting

Default Re: Anyone tried this...Fuel Pump Shutoff Switch? (ScreaminDemon)

Just have to add a few more notes. You have an electrical deterrant, you need a mechanical deterrant also. A popular but maybe not well know way to steal a C5 is to reach under the passenger side wheel well and stab the battery through the well with a screwdriver or tool and let all the acid drain out. Now you have no electrics or alarm. Then just replace the battery and take off.

Maybe I shouldn't be posting this????
Old 06-21-2003, 07:59 PM
lotzahp
Melting Slicks

NCM Sinkhole Donor

That still won't let a thief drive off. The key pellet enables the starter relay and fuel flow and disables column lock. Even in your scenario, a new battery isn't gonna replace the pellet. THAT requires even more effort.

But the switch idea would add yet another level of prevention.
Old 06-21-2003, 08:13 PM
ScreaminDemon
Drifting

Default Re: Anyone tried this...Fuel Pump Shutoff Switch? (lotzahp)

I guess all you need is a key and screwdriver, and a new battery...
Old 06-21-2003, 08:38 PM
jimman
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

According to my friends at the local police station the Corvette theft is non-existent and can only be done with a flat bed. So my recommendation is chill out and go have lunch.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone tried this...Fuel Pump Shutoff Switch?

Quick Reply: Anyone tried this...Fuel Pump Shutoff Switch?