C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GY Supercars', Pirelli Assimetrico's, Toyo T1S or Michelin Pilot Sports??

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2003, 04:24 PM
CRUZMISL
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default GY Supercars', Pirelli Assimetrico's, Toyo T1S or Michelin Pilot Sports??

I need new tires for and those are my choices that come in stock sizes. Any thoughts or advice? Looking for the best dry handling.

Thanks,
Joe
Old 05-31-2003, 05:01 PM
Snake Slayer
Melting Slicks

Received 511 Likes on 192 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Re: GY Supercars', Pirelli Assimetrico's, Toyo T1S or Michelin Pilot Sports?? (CRUZMISL)

Joe, I have heard good things about the Toyo T-1's. Many Z06 owners from the other site swear by these. :cheers:
Old 05-31-2003, 05:05 PM
vette.se
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: GY Supercars', Pirelli Assimetrico's, Toyo T1S or Michelin Pilot Sports?? (CRUZMISL)

Michelin Pilot Sport Cup, tirerack got them. This is a R type with extremely good dry handling, wet handling is ok but I would not say good.

Old 05-31-2003, 05:06 PM
90 droptop
Melting Slicks

Default Re: GY Supercars', Pirelli Assimetrico's, Toyo T1S or Michelin Pilot Sports?? (Snake Slayer)

Joe, I have heard good things about the Toyo T-1's. Many Z06 owners from the other site swear by these. :cheers:

:iagree: :iagree:

I have them on my coupe and vert. NICE RUBBER!!
Old 05-31-2003, 06:04 PM
Buckmaster
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

IMO.....avoid the Pilot Sports. I have them and do not like them. Even with my head/cam car they sucked. Now with the stroker they are useless.
Old 05-31-2003, 06:12 PM
CRUZMISL
Safety Car

Default Re: GY Supercars', Pirelli Assimetrico's, Toyo T1S or Michelin Pilot Sports?? (Buckmaster)

Buckmaster, you're not the only one to say that. I have also heard the sidewall flex is significant too. SOme have claimed they feel like they are going to roll off the rim.........

The GY's are good but they come with very little tread depth are expensive and wear out quickly. THe PIrelli's are cheaper, have more tread depth but also have a wear rating of 140 :eek: Those are like gumballs BUT reports indicate are not as sticky as the GY's. :confused:

This leaves the Toyo's. They come in Z06 sizes, have a treadwear rating of 220, are the cheapest of the bunch and have been getting good reviews. To top it all off they have a 45 day or 500 mile guarantee, If you don't like them you can take them back and they will refund all of your loot. That's confidence in their product. Last time I priced them out I seem to remember $800 for all 4 or somewhere in there........

Joe

[Modified by CRUZMISL, 6:13 PM 5/31/2003]
Old 05-31-2003, 06:15 PM
Buckmaster
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Joe
What I plan on doing is buying a set of BFG Drag Radials (the new 295/35/18's) and run them as my everyday street tire with some other tire up front. I know I will burn them up quick but I need some better straight line traction. I'm not a autocross or "twisties" guy so they will work for me. They must hook better than the PS's!
Old 05-31-2003, 07:33 PM
C54FUN
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'05-'06-'08-'10

Default Re: GY Supercars', Pirelli Assimetrico's, Toyo T1S or Michelin Pilot Sports?? (Buckmaster)

IMO BFG KDs are what you want for dry traction. I have the Pilot Sports and while I think they are OK, it's KDs for me when they are worn out. Good luck with your choices.
Joe
Old 05-31-2003, 09:32 PM
cmeflyby
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Alhambra Calismognazifornia, in the country everyone comes just to complain but won't go back home!

funny you should ask this question. i just finished putting some on my car about an hour ago and am getting ready to go test it out. i had never heard anyone on this board mention them before but i've used Toyo's before and like them so i decided to try them out. it didn't hurt either that they are the cheapest ones around. best price i was able to find was at http://www.treadepot.com . i paid less than $900 for the set including shipping.
i'll post my opinion on these tomorrow.
:cheers:
Old 05-31-2003, 11:10 PM
CRUZMISL
Safety Car

Default Re: GY Supercars', Pirelli Assimetrico's, Toyo T1S or Michelin Pilot Sports?? (cmeflyby)

let us know how they are. VERY interested in your opinion.

I had the BFG KD's before but they don't come in stock Z06 sizing:( They were definitely a good tire.

Joe
Old 05-31-2003, 11:56 PM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

You have to give those Toyo's a few hundred miles to get the slippery gunk off off them. I don't know what it is, but I would guess it has something to do with getting the rubber out of the mold.

The Pirelli and Michelin are out because I'm still bitter over the French. The SC's are great for traction but are noisy and just flat out stupid to drive in the rain.
Old 06-01-2003, 05:33 AM
vette.se
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buckmaster,

I assume you are talking about the standard Pilot Sport :confused: The model with a added 'Cup' in its name is a racetire with extremely good dry handling but have treads to be usable in wet as well. It's night and day comparing these with the standard Pilots. Give them a try :)

Old 06-02-2003, 04:19 AM
cmeflyby
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Alhambra Calismognazifornia, in the country everyone comes just to complain but won't go back home!

Well, my verdict is in......(drum roll)........the Toyo's rock! :D
There was too much traffic everywhere Saturday night so I didn't get to do any "performance" testing but I can definitely tell you they ride real nice. I just lowered the car and put Hotchkis bars on it and although the ride is stiff, it's nowhere near as bonejarring as the stock runflats were.
On Sunday, traffic was much lighter so I got to test the performance of the tires. Turns are AMAZING! Again, just a reminder that I added the new sway bars and lowered the car so it's not all due to the tires. I will say one thing, I almost feel like I need a 5-point harness now just for street driving, I can flip 90 degree turns that hard. I also got to do a high speed run (165). It felt awesome. High speed on So Cal pot-holed highways is not very fun or comfortable. These tires soaked all that up like there was nothing there.
The ONLY thing that I can criticize these tires on is that it seemed to me that they squeeled way too soon in the turns. It's not that they were about to let go cause I kept pushing and they didn't, they're just pigs. It could be that they are just too new and have to break in a little. That would be nice because that would mean the performance would get even better! :eek:
Well I guess you can tell I loved them. Oh yeah, one final thing. They look awesome too! Tread design is great. Well good luck making your decision!
Here's my rating for the T1-S's :thumbs: :thumbs:
Old 06-02-2003, 08:51 AM
93Polo
Team Owner

Received 367 Likes on 314 Posts
CI 3-4-5-9 Veteran

Default Re: GY Supercars', Pirelli Assimetrico's, Toyo T1S or Michelin Pilot Sports?? (cmeflyby)

Yokohama AVS Sports these tires are awesome :cool:
Old 06-02-2003, 09:20 AM
Buckmaster
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04
Default Re: GY Supercars', Pirelli Assimetrico's, Toyo T1S or Michelin Pilot Sports?? (seanr)

Yep you're right....the standard Pilot Sport. Sorry about the confusion. I think I will put some of the new BFG Drag Radial on in 305/35/18. Give it a try and see how it is :)
Buckmaster,

I assume you are talking about the standard Pilot Sport :confused: The model with a added 'Cup' in its name is a racetire with extremely good dry handling but have treads to be usable in wet as well. It's night and day comparing these with the standard Pilots. Give them a try :)

Old 06-02-2003, 10:18 AM
MattG
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In I, II, III, IV & V Veteran
CI-I & II Auto-X Champ

Joe, why arent you considering the BFG Gforce KD's? They are the stickiest, best handling tire there is in my opinion. I am not alone in this opinion either.

Old 06-02-2003, 10:27 AM
CRUZMISL
Safety Car

Default Re: GY Supercars', Pirelli Assimetrico's, Toyo T1S or Michelin Pilot Sports?? (MattG)

Matt, I agree. I had them on my coupe BUT they don't come in a 265/40/17:(

Get notified of new replies

To GY Supercars', Pirelli Assimetrico's, Toyo T1S or Michelin Pilot Sports??

Old 06-02-2003, 11:04 AM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,261 Likes on 1,184 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

If you look at using a 275/40R17 on the front it will open up a lot more options, including the Kumho Ecsta MX, which is supposed to be excellent. Running a 275 up front will not adversely affect anything either (traction control, active handling, speedo). You can get the Kumhos from Tirerack for $724 for the set.
Old 06-02-2003, 11:26 AM
6spdNavy99
Burning Brakes

Matt, I agree. I had them on my coupe BUT they don't come in a 265/40/17:(
I am pretty sure that BFG makes a 275/40/17 that will work. I know some on the forum are running these on ZO6 rims, and I would have done the same, but the GY F1s were about $300 cheaper. I think the 275 is just a tad taller, but is the exact same height as the stock C5 (not ZO6) size. That fills up the wheelwell a little better. After getting a bad Supercar tire, I wish I had spent the exta $ on the BFGs.
Old 06-02-2003, 11:40 AM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,261 Likes on 1,184 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

Default Re: GY Supercars', Pirelli Assimetrico's, Toyo T1S or Michelin Pilot Sports??

Just an FYI, the Goodyears are VERY good performing tires. I've been to two track days with them and while they aren't up to the level of a true race tire, they are definitely the best performing street tire I've ever had on track. My only complaints with them is they aren't great for straight line traction and they are expensive. In the long run, it'll be cheaper for me to seperate race wheels/tires and go with a less expensive street tire like the Kumho or Toyo that performs almost as well as the Goodyear but costs a lot less.

Quick Reply: GY Supercars', Pirelli Assimetrico's, Toyo T1S or Michelin Pilot Sports??