C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LGM G5X-2 Cam, Heads, LTs.. Suggestions for TC Please.

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2003, 05:42 PM
brialex42
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LGM G5X-2 Cam, Heads, LTs.. Suggestions for TC Please.

Just finalized final package to be installed with Lou.. now let's see what this thing will do when it is all said and done.

Final mods on my 2002 C5 A4 will be

Install Z06 Screens and remove current stock block off plates
Donaldson Blackwing (Current)
Upgrade to 36lb Injectors
Ported TB
LS6 Stage II Heads 2.02/1.57
G5X-2 Cam on 112 LSA
New Timing Chain
New Plug Wires
LGM Longtube Headers
LGM 3" X-Pipe
SLP Loud mouth Exhaust (Current)
Heat Shield In Torque Tube Tunnel
LGM LS1-Edit Tuning
LGM Roll Cage
3.42 Gears (Sorry .. Forgot this little bit of info in the original post.)

Only decision left to make is TC..

Considering
Yank SS3600
Yank PY3400E
Vig 3200
Vig 2800

Anyone have firsthand knowledge or experionce with an A4 and a somewhat similar setup..

Car will mostly see day to day driving and rush hour traffic regulary, however it will be at the strip from time to time as well as occasional battles with 03 Modded Cobras. I want the car to still be somewhat driveable on a daily basis but hopefully not fall on its face when the need arises.

I have heard a few good things thus far about the newly designed Yank SS3600's, but still worried it may be a little too much for everyday use as Lou has suggested. Too bad Yank does not make a SS3200 or 3400.

Decisions, Decisions, Decisions...

Well at least it is the only one left for the next year, so open to suggestions. Please chime in.

[Modified by brialex42, 10:43 PM 5/29/2003]

[Modified by brialex42, 11:23 PM 5/29/2003]
Old 05-29-2003, 05:51 PM
RWhite
Melting Slicks

Default Re: LGM G5X-2 Cam, Heads, LTs.. Suggestions for TC Please. (brialex42)

I'll be the first to post the minority choice of converters: Vigilante :cheers: The 3200 would be my choice of those listed

Now, stand by for the flood of Yanks coming over the hill!

Seriously though, any choice you make will probably be just fine. That combo will be providing some serious HP. Just slap it in DRIVE and hold on!
Old 05-29-2003, 06:01 PM
Mitch C
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: LGM G5X-2 Cam, Heads, LTs.. Suggestions for TC Please. (RWhite)

Rogers suggestion is a good one the Vig 3200 is a very good converter that actually stalls at about 3600.
But if you want to go with a Yank I would get the SS3800, that is mighty big cam you are getting and you can use all of the stall that you find tolerable.
I have the Yank ST3500 with 3.73 gears and this combo has excellent street manners, the SS3800 would have similar street manners with perhaps slightly more looseness. To be honest with you with a cam that big in an A4 I would even consider getting a converter in the 4000 stall speed range. If possible try to get a ride with someone who has a car with a similar converter that you might be interested in.

[Modified by Mitch C, 5:14 PM 5/29/2003]
Old 05-29-2003, 06:16 PM
RWhite
Melting Slicks

Default Re: LGM G5X-2 Cam, Heads, LTs.. Suggestions for TC Please. (Mitch C)

Forgot to add that gears will be needed if you are looking for killer track numbers.
I have 3.15's right now and have lost a little in the 60ft after the cam install, but make it up and then some on the top_end.

And we all know that most races are won or lost in the first 60ft. :smash: :cool:
Old 05-29-2003, 06:33 PM
brialex42
Racer

Default Re: LGM G5X-2 Cam, Heads, LTs.. Suggestions for TC Please. (RWhite)

Thanks for the initial responses. Luckily for me the car will rarely see races from a dead stop with the exception of at the track and will never see the use of slicks, so higher trap speeds will be more what I am looking for. Races are more along the lines of running from a slow-mid roll of 15-40mph would be what I encounter. Also, the possibility of BFG Drags at some point may come into play, but more than likely Mich Pilot PSports when I have the chance to get the body work done to widen the rear for the 345/30's on 19x12 Rims. Also, need something that will be driveable as the car typically will see 10-14k miles per year from April - October. This will include 1 or 2 1200 mile trips (one-way) each summer.
Old 05-29-2003, 09:35 PM
Dugmole
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Races are more along the lines of running from a slow-mid roll of 15-40mph would be what I encounter

What kinda track has those events :confused: :D
Old 05-29-2003, 11:08 PM
brialex42
Racer

Default Re: LGM G5X-2 Cam, Heads, LTs.. Suggestions for TC Please. (Dugmole)

Hmmm.. didn't I say that most races were from a roll with the exception of the track where they would be from a dead stop? :rolleyes: Oh well, not even about to get smart with anyone on this forum, that is not my intention or reason for the post.

Now I also understand that some of you who may respond will be joking with comments such as Mr. Dugmole above :yesnod: (or at least I hope he was) and some will/may post true negative remarks. One thing that I kind of hate about the forum world, you can't really hear the connatations behind the statement, you can just hope for the right interpretations of Mr. Smiley! :D

And not knowing (well anyone really) on this board other than Lou, who I have seen drop in regularly, the only thing I can do is try to stay as neutral as possible and not try to react negatively like some I have seen on here.

So the, question remains as to what forum members may suggest for this setup. Look, I know that this car , after LGM is finished with it, is going to do nothing for street tires except roast them if leaving from a dead stop. I am not totally clueless here. Heck, my 89 Turbo TA with a V6 would fry MTs all day long back in the early 90's and it was only a 2600 stall car that ran high 11's at 115 and 10.80's at 123 with a 150 shot. I know the technology .. for all related components.. suspension, tires, transmission, computer, TC, etc. has come a long way since. Hence the request for input from people who may have some insight. The reason fo rthe roll starts is that most cars i would encounter.. modded 03 and up cobras, SC'd Fbodies, and TT Supras, for the most part would have the same issues from a stop, hence they are the ones that are typically requesting a roll in start. I just want to try to find some happy medium between performance for a TC that will not kill the the car off the line or send the tires to smoke city, and at the same time have "decent <-- Term being used loosely here" everyday driving characteristics. I completley understand there will be some traded offs on either end, just trying to find (if possible) somewhere in between.

And no worries Sean.. thanks for the insight ;) I have been reading this forum for the past year almost since buying the car last July. Just finally able to take the time to get the mods done, and trying to make a hopefully somewhat informed decsion. Time to have some fun and feel the G's as it has been waay too long. Just want to try to do it right the first time around until the C5R block goes in next spring and would prefer not to have it back in for more work until then as I am not satisfied. But then again is anyone EVER satisfied once you FEEL THE POWER. Always in search of a little more.

:grouphug: Can't we all just get along? :lol:

[Modified by brialex42, 5:58 AM 5/30/2003]

[Modified by brialex42, 5:59 AM 5/30/2003]
Old 05-30-2003, 12:36 AM
Sean03
Racer

ease up a bit brialx42, doug was just jokin around with you.
Old 05-30-2003, 01:05 AM
brialex42
Racer

Default Re: LGM G5X-2 Cam, Heads, LTs.. Suggestions for TC Please. (Dugmole)

Thanks for the info Mitch. Only problem I have right now is not knowing anyone here in MN that has done anything with an A4 and the car is currently at Lou's shop. So I am going to have to make a fairly quick decision as I am scheduled to pick the car up next Friday. The TC and Gears were literally a last minute decision (as I drove up to their shop) as the original plan was to wait a couple of months to do this. I was not originally planning on going the route of the G5X-2 cam and was looking at FI.. but i thought what the :reddevil .. why not do something a little different and see what happens. Can you imagine this setup with an ATI D1 or F1 Single IC sitting on it (well with a forged bottom of course).. Talk about Holy terror Batman!!! :steering:
Old 05-30-2003, 07:20 AM
Mitch C
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the info Mitch. Only problem I have right now is not knowing anyone here in MN that has done anything with an A4 and the car is currently at Lou's shop. So I am going to have to make a fairly quick decision as I am scheduled to pick the car up next Friday. The TC and Gears were literally a last minute decision (as I drove up to their shop) as the original plan was to wait a couple of months to do this. I was not originally planning on going the route of the G5X-2 cam and was looking at FI.. but i thought what the :reddevil .. why not do something a little different and see what happens. Can you imagine this setup with an ATI D1 or F1 Single IC sitting on it (well with a forged bottom of course).. Talk about Holy terror Batman!!! :steering:
Give guys at Vigilante or Mike at Yank a call and get their opinion on what converter might be best for you. You only want to install a converter once.

Old 05-30-2003, 10:56 PM
ToplessTexan
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: LGM G5X-2 Cam, Heads, LTs.. Suggestions for TC Please. (Mitch C)

You only want to install a converter once.
Now where's the fun in that? :jester
Old 06-02-2003, 03:19 PM
brialex42
Racer

Default Re: LGM G5X-2 Cam, Heads, LTs.. Suggestions for TC Please. (ToplessTexan)

Ok.. have the final decision made. After talkiong with Mike at Yank and having him "educate" me as to a few of the differences in the driving characteristics of the different converters, sounds like the SS3600 will be the best overall choice.

Well all I can say is this will be fun. Now lets see how long the runcraps last through the remaining tread on them.

Get notified of new replies

To LGM G5X-2 Cam, Heads, LTs.. Suggestions for TC Please.

Quick Reply: LGM G5X-2 Cam, Heads, LTs.. Suggestions for TC Please.