C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Heads & Cam Law Suit has Began (READ ALL ABOUT IT)

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2003, 12:49 PM
Shor2Shorr
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default (UPDATE) The Heads & Cam Law Suit has Began (READ ALL ABOUT IT)

In the spring of 2001 I purchased several after-market parts for my 2000 Corvette. I looked forward to going home after work and installing them myself. I was offered very good installation advise from friends I had met on Corvetteforum.com. One item purchased from Tburn motor sports, was a set of long tube headers. I felt the job of installing this modification should be left up to a professional.
In March of 2001, Perry St John of Dan Young Chevrolet, introduced me to Tim Sublett, of Sublet Research. Talking with Tim, and Perry’s confidence in him, I felt he was the person I wanted to work on my car. Several weeks passed before he had the opportunity to finally start the work.
Once he received the car I was told this job was quite easy, and wouldn’t take over a few days. After one week I stopped by his shop to find the car in parts. I also noticed a few dirty rags draped over the finder, as I watched him work, the protection rags fell out from under him, leaving his bare belt buckle to damage the paint. I felt if he was a professional doing professional work he should have some type of quality fender protectors. About three weeks passed when the car was finally returned back to me. The time it took was not the issue; constantly being told it would be done in a day or two when nothing at all as done was the issue. I never said anything. I was happy to get my vehicle back.
Once I drove the car from his shop to my home, several error codes started coming up. Tim told me several times over the next few weeks that the car had to run for a while so the computer would learn the new set up. He never looked up the codes. After a while, I posted the codes on Corvetteforum.com. I was told they came from the O2 sensors. The car was under warranty so it went back to the dealer. Once they pulled the O2s off the car, I was told by the service tech they were covered with gasket sealer and the person who put the headers on, should have used O2 sensor safe gasket sealer. This was not the case, so they were not covered under warranty and I had to pay $800.00 for parts and labor to fix what he did. There were also scratches all over the front fenders. Wanting to keep the peace and hold on to our friendship, I never held him accountable for these problems, even though I knew he was responsible.
Over the next year we kept in touch. I went to Michigan to watch his car race. I met his family and he even invited me over for a Sunday brunch at his new home. We went to dinner and were building a friendship.
After spending many hours on Corvetteforum.com and going to several Corvette conventions in Bowling Green KY, Bloomington Gold, Route 66 Raceway and others. I wanted a car that could compete in races at these venues. I decided the next step was the heads and cam. In December of 2002, I downloaded a 20-page bolt-per-bolt instruction booklet on this project, I told Tim I needed a winter project and asked him to advise me. When I told him about the booklet I downloaded he asked me to give him a copy. After I read this document, I felt it was a bigger job than I could handle, so I asked Tim to do the install. He told me it was a 2-week-job and the install was no big deal. I also let him know that I didn’t want to spend more than $1500.00 for all the labor. He said this was no problem.
In the winter of 2002, I heard about a racing parts convention coming to Indianapolis. Knowing I had a number of people that could get me tickets, I asked my friend Tim Sublet; he said he would get me tickets. But the day of the show we drove my car, because his truck was stuck downtown. That morning I was told we had to stop by my photo shop and that I was to copy his badge. This would mean I was going to use a counterfeit badge. Plus be his taxi to get him to his truck. At this late date, I couldn’t secure a legal badge elsewhere. The day of the show, I spent time talking to many vendors and learned what I wanted the next step for my car to be. Mid way through the day Tim had to leave. But on my way out I ran into him. Due to Tim’s lack of planning, and him unable to get his truck, I was was an interesting one. The young engineer in back advised Tim on new technologies, and computer programs, concerning set up and tuning of new C5 Corvettes, but, Tim's ego was hurt and he kept arguing that his way was the only way, not willing to learn anything new. At that time these remarks and the comments made to vendors, I lost confidence his ability to do my work.
Over the next week, I spent more time on Corvetteforum.com so I could make my own educated decision. Tim told me I should buy the heads I wanted from Pace Auto. When I talked to Jason at Pace Auto, he also gave me advice. I told him I wanted a winter project. He said, “I will set you up with a kit of all necessary items, including CNC ported Heads, with valves and springs, installed ready-to-bolt on the car. These heads came directly from GM and all the specs were easily obtainable from the manufacturer. The gaskets, bolts and Ext. were all included in this kit.
One week later, with $2500.00 spent, around January 30, 2003, I had my parts at my doorstep. I also wanted the matching GM cam, but Tim insisted I used his. I asked several times for the specs and was told by Tim they were a secret and I didn’t need them. That week I gave Tim a check for $500.00 to purchase an ASA custom ground cam. Time and time again, I asked to see my cam and where the specs were. I wanted a second opinion on the set-up he had decided on. I felt it was only fair that I know what was going with my car.
Once in his house, I saw a shelf with several cams. He showed me one and said it was mine. I didn’t feel the cam I saw was really the one I was to receive. I asked repeatedly for a written estimate of the labor, but once again, I received nothing. After waiting 2 weeks, I contacted Tim again. He said we would get the car in and I could have the car back before the end of February. This date came and went, yet he didn’t accommodate me. The week of March 5th 2003 I had a business trip in Las Vegas. Tim said he would get the car done for me that week, but he never made the arrangements with me to deliver the car. He always insisted he would pick it up. Once again, I was disappointed. There was still about a month of winter left so I wasn’t upset and felt the car would be done before spring. Tim informed me he had bought a new high performance Mass Flow. Myself replaced this one year earlier and within the specs of my new parts. Also purchased was a new thinner head gasket to get more engine compression. (I had one in my kit from Pace Auto). A new set of fuel injectors and a smooth bellows. I told him repeatedly, “I DON’T WANT TO SPEND THE EXTRA MONEY!” My parts were high performance and well within the specs of the new modifications.
Getting back from Vegas. Once again the car wasn’t done. I asked him to please get my car done. He said he would have it done by April 1st. Again he would never secure arrangements to take the car. I was told many excuses, his nanny quit, He had to sell his other house, his basement flooded, and his wife had to leave town. As his friend I was glad to accommodate him, and help in any way. I informed him I was going to be on vacation the 2nd week of April. He guaranteed the car would be done when I got back. I told him I would drop the car off, but he insisted on picking it up him self. On April 3rd the car was picked up from my house. We loaded all the parts I ordered from Pace to the back of my Vet, I never realized I would never see those parts again. I went on vacation, and couldn’t wait to get home and drive my car. When I returned I called. He said he had the car dynode to check the horsepower. I was told it had 340RWHP. He knew I had just dynode it 8 months before, with all the same equipment presently on the car. To date I have never been shown a print out of his data, and his results were not even close to mine. Later I once again asked for a printout. Not only did I not get the data, but when I talked to him, he couldn’t remember what he told me the first time. At one point I was informed a new Center Force Clutch was going in my car. I didn’t ask for it nor did I want to spend the extra money. The clutch in the car was just replaced in October of 2001 with a new high performance 2002 ZO6 rated at 415hp, $1800.00 installed.
April 16th I visited his shop to find the car wasn’t even there. I asked were it was, and had he actually worked on it? Supposedly he was working on it at his old house, and it was apart there. But he needed it at the new house to finish the work because he had no tools there. He hadn’t touched it. The real reason was he didn’t want the car at his house due to, him working on a racecar for someone in Pennsylvania. Some of his neighbors were fed up with him also due to noise and cars in his drive. So he couldn’t have another car at his house. I offered to help get the car to his shop but he declined, and said his nanny was going to help him. He didn’t want me to see he never started the project. I left him alone for a week thinking he would do the work if I didn’t bother him. One week later I called but he never returned my calls. April 23rd I went to his shop again. There I found the car in his drive never touched. He said he had the computer (PCM) out and was going to have it reprogrammed. By now I was getting very upset, and asked why he would spend the time putting the car back together if he needed it apart anyway. I knew he was lying. He was still working on the same racecar and had no room in his garage to work on mine. By now he had the car 3 weeks; at this point I was fed up. Not one thing was done! I wanted my car back. I asked for the keys, He immediately declined; I knew if the car started the computer is still in. I could catch him in another lye. But he wouldn’t give me the keys. He showed me a computer and said it was mine there were a lot of codes written on the outside case in red permanent marker, it said among other things, 7200RPM. This wasn’t my computer. I doubted it’s the PMC computer out of my car. I could easily prove another lye.
Several days later (week 4) I informed Tim there was a car show on May 3rd and I have attended this show every year. I didn’t want to miss it. Give me the car now if you can’t have it done before the show. This show came, and I didn’t attend. Now I was extremely upset, and went to his house to pick up my car. He saw I wasn’t happy, and said he was going to give me for free a set of five point racing harnesses, again I left without my car. He was told my heads and cam were bought for the specific weekend of May 20th and the car must be done by May 18th. Once again he assured me it would be done. He knew it wasn’t going to get it finished by then.
On May 7th (week 5) he called me at work and informed me the car was in my drive. He said he new it couldn’t get done by my date. That evening after work I found the car in my drive. Not one bolt was ever removed, and there were no keys. Contacting him he said he couldn’t find the keys. I had to take my time again go to his house while he hunted for my keys. He said returning my keys, and I quote “Returning your vehicle was a huge stress relief for me. I can now work on preparing my old house for a pending sell, and there would also be time for the racecar”. He advised me we could do the work at a later date. By now I had made other arrangements to have the work done at another more reputable shop, and they said there was still time to get it done before my May 20th weekend. But without my components I couldn’t meet my deadline.
Sunday May 10th I went to his shop/house, told him I would write him a check for the oil change, to keep our friendship he should give me my part. He politely declined and said this was a business deal. I asked why he couldn’t get the job done in 6 months. He gave me the same excuses as above. My response was, if we are truly friends, I would be right there to help move furniture and fix your flooded basement. But if this just a business deal, My car should have been done the week I went to Vegas and I don’t care about your problems. He demanded me to leave. From there I met with police and they said this was a civil matter, and I had to go through the courts
He said he did an oil change. I didn’t ask for it, and when I drove the car the onboard computer didn’t indicate a fresh oil change. Why was it changed? The oil must be dumped to replace these parts.
This car is never driven in rain or snow. Tim said he cleaned the car. Why? After removing one wheel, I found a filthy wheel well, sprayed with dirt, road grime, and rain residue. The only reason to clean the car is he drove it in the rain and dirt. I didn’t want him to wash it. I use a special coating used for show cars, it has to be washed with soft water and special soap. I didn’t ask for him to clean my car.
When I entered my car I found several extra miles on the odometer. I found a childes barrette, indicating his daughter was in the vehicle, But there were no parts anywhere in the car. I called him several times without any returned calls.

When I drove the car I found 44lbs of air in tires that should have only 30lbs. This was an extremely dangerous situation. He was given $5.00 at time of pickup for fuel. The car was returned empty; and I was billed for $18.50 in gas. I could go on and on, but I feel I have proven with out a doubt Mr. Sublett is a liar, a scammer and a thief.
Given the past and present situation, I have lost total confidence and trust that Mr. Sublett would return any cam and parts to me with any type of quality, or for that matter my actual components.

The demand is as follows:
New O2 sensors $800.00
Front Fenders Paint $400.00
Head Kit from Pace ($2498.00) Conversion $7494.00
Cam ($500.00) Conversion $1500.00
300 Miles @ 37.5 per mile $112.00
1 Month Car Payment $533.00
Missed 3 Shows & Competitions (lost Points) $750.00
Attorney Fees $1000.00
Total Suit $12,589.00

Steve

[Modified by Shor2Shorr, 2:14 PM 5/21/2003]
Old 05-16-2003, 01:24 PM
Tim 02 WS6
Heel & Toe

Default Re: The Heads & Cam Law Suit has Began (Shor2Shorr)

Wow,
So the guy screwed up your car with the headers, then you trusted him to do H/C? I wish you the best of luck with your lawsuit, but I'd have to question if this guy will pay if you win. The judge can say he owes you, but collecting is tough. :steering:
Old 05-16-2003, 01:30 PM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Hope this works out for you. You should have gone there with the police when he refused to give you the keys.
Old 05-16-2003, 01:38 PM
0C5stein
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel for you. What a horror story.
Old 05-16-2003, 01:43 PM
bletour2001
Instructor

That really does suck and I feel for you BUT a few points. One spell check your letter and reread it. There are numerous mistakes. Second....if they guy can't do headers you think he can do serious engine work? Kind of asking for it. Finally...you probably don't want to use a public forum to admit you violated the law on two different occasions:
1) Used a forged pass to enter a show
2) Had three people in a car with two seats.

In the end I hope you get your money back because you seem the be a nice guy taken advantage of. The first time I showed up and asked for the keys to MY CAR back and was told no I would have returned with the police to TAKE my car! I hope you at least learn from this for the future.

Good Luck.

--Bill

You sure a
Old 05-16-2003, 02:44 PM
WALLstAL
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '05

Wow, what a story! I think you need your head examined for dealing with this person! Who is TIM????
Old 05-16-2003, 03:51 PM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Default Re: The Heads & Cam Law Suit has Began (bletour2001)

That really does suck and I feel for you BUT a few points. One spell check your letter and reread it. There are numerous mistakes. Second....if they guy can't do headers you think he can do serious engine work? Kind of asking for it. Finally...you probably don't want to use a public forum to admit you violated the law on two different occasions:
1) Used a forged pass to enter a show
2) Had three people in a car with two seats.

In the end I hope you get your money back because you seem the be a nice guy taken advantage of. The first time I showed up and asked for the keys to MY CAR back and was told no I would have returned with the police to TAKE my car! I hope you at least learn from this for the future.

Good Luck.

--Bill

You sure a
I think you have picked the wrong time and place to hold an english class. For the record, a little compassion for the guy is in order since he has enough of a problem as it is.

One last note: You have seven grammar errors including 2 run-on sentences, absent commas where they should be, and "Kind of asking for it." is a sentence fragment. :boxing
Old 05-16-2003, 04:53 PM
79Redvette
Pro

This guy is a loser. I would take my receipt for my parts, and a couple of very big friends and go get them. Or he would get one hell of a butt stomping. :mad :mad :mad :mad :mad I hate losers like that.
Old 05-16-2003, 04:57 PM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Sorry to read about your problems, but you're way too passive of a guy!! You need to learn to judge character better and get people to hold firm to time commitments. Wow........ :nonod:
Old 05-16-2003, 05:34 PM
edmaverik
Burning Brakes

Default Re: The Heads & Cam Law Suit has Began (QUIKAG)

Wheewww, good luck man. That really stinks. I hope everything works out in god speed.
Old 05-16-2003, 05:59 PM
Mikie C
Burning Brakes

Default Re: The Heads & Cam Law Suit has Began (edmaverik)

Steve man, I feel for you. I too can't stomach loosers like this guy. But why would you deal with him after you saw how unprofessional his work was with the header install :confused: This slime took advantage of your good nature.
Obviously he sold your parts. Anyway, I hope it all works out for you.

Mike :flag

PS I wish you were from my area, as I have a guy that would take care of your installation needs.
Old 05-16-2003, 06:09 PM
lost
Drifting

Default Re: The Heads & Cam Law Suit has Began (edmaverik)

Geez, sounds like (blank) went to the Hennesy school for customer service...I'm not normally a violent person, but had I been screwed over that bad, (blank) would have been looking at the wrong end of a 44 mag, while a couple of my biker friends taught him the proper way to take care of a customer...
Old 05-16-2003, 06:45 PM
Shor2Shorr
Racer

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

I really appreciate all the input. I just recieved a letter from my attorney

I WISH I COULD SPELL! Belive it or not I did use spell check.

Here you go!

Dear Sirs:

I represent Steven. Mr. Steve arranged for you to perform work on his 2000 Corvette. Mr. Steve paid you $500.00 for a cam for the Corvette, and provided you with approximately $2500.00 worth of parts to be installed on his car. Despite repeated assurances from you to Mr. Steve, you failed to perform the work, which you had agreed to perform. Because of your breach of your agreement, Mr. Steve demanded the return of his car and the return of the parts. On May 7th you returned the car. However, to date, you have not returned the parts.

Please be advised we are demanding that you immediately return the parts from Pace Auto to Mr. Steve. If those parts are not returned by 5:00p.m. On Friday, May 16, I will file suit on Mr. Steve behalf against you for conversion. Under Indiana State, Mr. Steve is forced to pursue an action for conversion against you, he will be entitled to recover three times the actual value of the parts, which you have converted as well as his attorney’s fees in bringing the action against you. Mr. Steve is also demanding refund of the $500.00 paid to you for the new cam. Given your complete failure to complete the installation of the parts as promised, Mr. Steve has understandably lost total confidence that any cam provided by you would perform properly. Accordingly, please include the refund of the price for the cam with your delivery of the parts to Mr. Steve.

Thank you for your anticipated cooperation in this matter. If the refund of the payment for the cam, and the parts are not delivered promptly, and in goon condition by Friday at 5:00p.m. I will file suit for Mr. Steve on the following Monday.

Sincerely yours
Old 05-16-2003, 06:45 PM
Shinobi'sZ
Le Mans Master

Received 437 Likes on 234 Posts

Default Re: The Heads & Cam Law Suit has Began (lost)

Sorry for your troubles, it sounds like you are left with no choice...this topic should really be moved over to the General Section..the forum is trying to straighten out the Community.
Old 05-16-2003, 08:56 PM
Sack Rat TT
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had no idea Hennessy and left Houston for Indiana. Hang in there. :eek:
Old 05-17-2003, 02:21 AM
90 droptop
Melting Slicks

Default Re: The Heads & Cam Law Suit has Began (Sack Rat TT)

I had no idea Hennessy and left Houston for Indiana. Hang in there. :eek:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 05-17-2003, 03:19 AM
NIGHTMARE...2001
Burning Brakes

Default Re: The Heads & Cam Law Suit has Began (SpinMonster)

:iagree: :nono:

Get notified of new replies

To The Heads & Cam Law Suit has Began (READ ALL ABOUT IT)

Old 05-17-2003, 03:25 AM
MTWallet
Drifting

Default Re: The Heads & Cam Law Suit has Began (NIGHTMARE...2001)

Holy Ripoff Batman!
I can't believe this actually happed to you! I would have booted this guy as soon as he fckd up the first time, but i'm sure you already know that. I am really suprised he thinks that he can get away with this. I would be all over him every second of every day until he wakes up to the real world of doing business. Just do us all a favor and take him to the cleaners. Make sure he learns his lesson!
Good Luck Man! :cheers:
Old 05-17-2003, 07:11 PM
RogueVette
Safety Car

Cruise-In III Veteran

Holy crap Steve,

If I can help you in any way shpe or form please feel free to e-mail me. You are too damn nice a guy to be taken advantage of like this.

Good luck and remember anything you need just let me know, I'll do what ever I can.
Old 05-17-2003, 07:39 PM
vetterdstr
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
CA Events Coordinator

Did you get the parts back?

vetterdstr :cheers:

Quick Reply: The Heads & Cam Law Suit has Began (READ ALL ABOUT IT)