C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z06 Tires On A C5?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2003, 05:13 PM
BQuicksilver
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Z06 Tires On A C5?

I fear this may be a dupe, but I couldn't find too much good info on this question. Will stock Z06 non-runflats work on a C5? My runflats are nearly bald, and I'd like a better performing tire that still runs okay in the wet. The F1 supercars seem to be the answer, I'm just concerned about whether or not they will fit on my stock rims. I'm not willing to buy Z06 rims, I don't like 'em.

Anyone tried this?

Thanks in advance. :cheers:
Old 05-10-2003, 08:25 PM
hogurt
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Re: Z06 Tires On A C5? (BQuicksilver)

There are plenty of great tires out there. I would highly recommend the BFG KD's. I believe they provide better dry traction than the F1's. They also make a different version of the KD's which should be good for wet or dry.

Also, you may want to consider the Kuhmo MX's. I have heard great things about them. . .and they are very cheap.

Finally, I believe that the Nitto 18" drag radials just came out. If you want a very sticky street tire and you don't drive too many miles in a year. . .they may work for you.

Again, the KD's are a great street tire and when you warm them up, they provide very good traction! :yesnod:
Old 05-10-2003, 09:39 PM
Mordenkanen
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yes they will fit just put them on mine.
The ride is so much better!! :D :seeya :chevy
I did ZO6 wheels also.

[Modified by Mordenkanen, 9:40 PM 5/10/2003]
Old 05-11-2003, 12:49 AM
BQuicksilver
Safety Car

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Re: Z06 Tires On A C5? (Mordenkanen)

hogart: I still need some wet performance sine I'm here in Indy and mine is a daily driver. Otherwise I'd be all over the BFG's, though I hear the F1 Supercars are nearly as good with MUCH better wet traction.

Mordenkanen: Do you know if anyone's put them on the stock (non-z06) rims with any luck? I'm already convinced they're awesome tires, my concern was their fit on the stock rim.
Old 05-11-2003, 12:55 AM
hogurt
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

They also have BFG KD's for wet traction also. It's not quite as sticky as the dry traction tire, but it's still sticky.

My buddy with an '03 Cobra went with the wet traction tire because it is his daily driver too. According to what he says, the KD's are still sticky. :yesnod:
Old 05-11-2003, 12:58 AM
BQuicksilver
Safety Car

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Re: Z06 Tires On A C5? (hogurt)

Any links so I can see it? I love the looks of the BFG's and the Kumho's, but if it looks like a Pilot Sport I'll :U
Old 05-11-2003, 09:57 AM
Stilcrazee
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try looking at Tire Rack's site, they have thumb nail type pics of tires.

My son recently put Firestone Firehawk RF's on his 00 coupe and they are a bunch quieter and smoother than F1's, and are fair in wet.
Old 05-11-2003, 11:28 PM
FunDriver
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 93 Posts

Default Re: Z06 Tires On A C5? (Stilcrazee)

My local tire shop matched TireRack's prices and I got some Firestone runflats.

By the way, a Z06 is a C5---I'm imagine you meant a C5 coupe.
Old 05-12-2003, 01:50 AM
RogueVette
Safety Car

Cruise-In III Veteran

Brody,

I have 295/35/18's on the back of my car on my stock wheels with no problem. I'm also running the Kumho's and love them they were sticky enough to get me a few top 25's during the one lap and they are very good in the wet.

Plus they are damn affordable.

Jeremy
Old 05-12-2003, 09:26 AM
saber
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 8 Posts

I am running the Z06 GY F1 tires on stock wheels.
Look, handle and ride great!
Old 05-12-2003, 11:38 AM
9tee9c5
Pro

Default Re: Z06 Tires On A C5? (saber)

Can you guys confirm that Z06 tires fit on any stock rim. 97-2003.
Old 05-12-2003, 12:22 PM
EHS
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I fear this may be a dupe, but I couldn't find too much good info on this question. Will stock Z06 non-runflats work on a C5? My runflats are nearly bald, and I'd like a better performing tire that still runs okay in the wet. The F1 supercars seem to be the answer, I'm just concerned about whether or not they will fit on my stock rims. I'm not willing to buy Z06 rims, I don't like 'em.

Anyone tried this?

Thanks in advance. :cheers:
Couple of things:

1. Stock ZO6 tires are not runflat.

2. Stock Z06 tires will in theory fit, but not well; performance will suffer.

3. Stay with your stock sizes if you want a non-run flat, or go Z06 size wheels if you want the F1 Goodyears.
Old 05-12-2003, 02:08 PM
BQuicksilver
Safety Car

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Re: Z06 Tires On A C5? (EHS)

Couple of things:

1. Stock ZO6 tires are not runflat.

3. Stay with your stock sizes if you want a non-run flat, or go Z06 size wheels if you want the F1 Goodyears.
1) Of course, that's the main reason I'm wanting to switch.
2) Please expand on that, others might disagree since people like Aquaman (whom I know and trust) might feel otherwise since he just did one lap on 295 Kumho's with stock rims. Why is performance degraded? Wear issues? etc, etc
3) Again, I need some rationale to support that statement. I'll not be changing wheels, since I love the painted Y2K's with Quicksilver. Eventually I'll just get wideners with some huge tires....but for now I'm just wanting to optimize tires.
Old 05-12-2003, 02:09 PM
BQuicksilver
Safety Car

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Re: Z06 Tires On A C5? (9tee9c5)

Can you guys confirm that Z06 tires fit on any stock rim. 97-2003.
I can confirm they'll fit, but I'm trying to drum up some experience with them through this post. :cheers:

Fitting doesn't always equal working.
Old 05-12-2003, 02:11 PM
BQuicksilver
Safety Car

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Re: Z06 Tires On A C5? (saber)

I am running the Z06 GY F1 tires on stock wheels.
Look, handle and ride great!
Thanks for the info!!! Can you give me any more experience with them? How about the best and worst things about having them? :cheers:
Old 05-12-2003, 02:13 PM
BQuicksilver
Safety Car

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Re: Z06 Tires On A C5? (Aquaman)

Brody,

I have 295/35/18's on the back of my car on my stock wheels with no problem. I'm also running the Kumho's and love them they were sticky enough to get me a few top 25's during the one lap and they are very good in the wet.

Plus they are damn affordable.
Jeremy
J, congrats on One Lap!! I just assumed the Kumho's were crappy in the wet since they look quite a bit like BFG's.

You better believe you were the inspiration behind this post.

And welcome back to the forum!
Old 05-12-2003, 06:26 PM
RogueVette
Safety Car

Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Re: Z06 Tires On A C5? (EHS)

I know for a fact you are wrong about that. They not only fit in theory but they really do fit and with no problems. They stick like crazy, wear fine and the sidewall is flat with the rim protector still operable on the tire. On my official skidpad run I went .93 one direction and .91 the other. with the TC on. because I was in such a hurry to run I forgot to turn it off. On a follow up practice run I went .98 and .97 with TC off. Not too shabby for a base suspension vette. I somehow doubt that I would have been able to pull 1.0 G's with a smaller stock tire. I can assure anyone performance does not suffer.

Brody,

Thanks for going to IRP, we appreciate the support from the whole Indy crew. sorry If I was a bit distracted we just had so much going on.

I'll catch ya' later and hopefully you'll be rollin' on some 295's :yesnod: ;)

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 Tires On A C5?

Old 05-12-2003, 08:41 PM
Pooter
Advanced

If you check out the tire rack feedback the GY supercar does not a get a good rating for wet traction. there are many tires that get a better rating from their customers. Look at the goodyear GS-D3 for one. :flag
Old 05-12-2003, 09:17 PM
Beer:30
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 118 Posts

Default Re: Z06 Tires On A C5? (Aquaman)

I know for a fact you are wrong about that. They not only fit in theory but they really do fit and with no problems. They stick like crazy, wear fine and the sidewall is flat with the rim protector still operable on the tire. On my official skidpad run I went .93 one direction and .91 the other. with the TC on. because I was in such a hurry to run I forgot to turn it off. On a follow up practice run I went .98 and .97 with TC off. Not too shabby for a base suspension vette. I somehow doubt that I would have been able to pull 1.0 G's with a smaller stock tire. I can assure anyone performance does not suffer.

Brody,

Thanks for going to IRP, we appreciate the support from the whole Indy crew. sorry If I was a bit distracted we just had so much going on.

I'll catch ya' later and hopefully you'll be rollin' on some 295's :yesnod: ;)
Yeah BUT if you had them on an 10.5"(z06) or 11" rim you may have had better numbers. I think what he was saying is that with the stock non-Z06 wheel width you will not get all of the performance available (and that you are paying for) from the tire with the stock (9.5":rolleyes: ) C5 rims vs. upgrading to Z06+ width. To get the full potential out of the tire demands that you use a rim wider than 9.5". That all he was saying. Not that you can't do it and acheive satisfactory results.

If it was up to me I would upgrade the rims past Z06 specs and get S-02s.
They rock in the wet and are awesome in the dry.
I went with the KDs because my car does not see rain.
Check my sig for wheel specs.
Old 05-12-2003, 10:33 PM
EHS
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: Z06 Tires On A C5? (fdupny)

... Yeah BUT if you had them on an 10.5"(z06) or 11" rim you may have had better numbers. I think what he was saying is that with the stock non-Z06 wheel width you will not get all of the performance available (and that you are paying for) from the tire with the stock (9.5":rolleyes: ) C5 rims vs. upgrading to Z06+ width. To get the full potential out of the tire demands that you use a rim wider than 9.5". That all he was saying. Not that you can't do it and acheive satisfactory results.

If it was up to me I would upgrade the rims past Z06 specs and get S-02s.
They rock in the wet and are awesome in the dry.
I went with the KDs because my car does not see rain.
Check my sig for wheel specs.

That's exactly what I was saying, that they will fit, but at the low end of the recommended, never mind, the approved rim width.

For example, Yokohama recommends, actually approves an 8.5 to 10 inch width for the Z06 front tire; 8.5 is the stock coupe convertible rim width; 9.5 is the Z06 size. There's a reason for that.

Here are the specs off the Chevrolet website:

Wheels:
17" x 8.5" front, 18" x 9.5" rear (coupe/convertible)
17" x 9.5" front, 18" x 10.5" rear (Z06)

Tires:
Goodyear Eagle F1 GS Extended-Mobility
– front: P245/45ZR-17
– rear: P275/40ZR-18
Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar Non-Extended Mobility
– front: P265/40ZR-17
– rear: P295/35ZR-18

And here are some links so that you can read why:
http://www.cjtire.com/pdfs/Wheels.pdf (note this is a PDF file). Here's the relevant part:

"When selecting wheels, you must also pay attention to rim width. The tire manufacturer's specifications will recommend a range of proper rim widths that will assist the tire/wheel assembly in meeting its performance potential. To achieve the best balance between ride, handling, and treadwear for highway vehicles, select a rim width in the middle of the manufacturers recommended range.

To improve cornering traction and steering response, choose a rim at a near the maximum recommended width. If the tread and the rim are two points, the shortest distance between them is a straight line. The wider the rim width, the straighter the tire sidewall, and the quicker the steering response. Conversely, using a rim width at the low end of the range will cause the tire to balloon or curve out, slowing steering response."

Just think how well the car would handle with the correct size rim, not just one that "fits." Putting the Z06 tire on a stock C5 wheel will work, just not that well.

As a matter of fact, the performance and steering response may be less than a properly sized stock size tire, which will have a straighter sidewall.

The gentleman who posted above that he is running Z06 tires on the stock rim might actually do better if he used either a wider rim with the Z06 sizes, or stuck with the stock size wheel/tire combination.

Here's a chart from Yokohama that lists the recommended/approved range of width; other maufacturers, like Goodyear, have similar information:
http://www.yokohamatire.com/utrimwidth.asp

Good luck.

[Modified by EHS, 10:35 PM 5/12/2003]

Quick Reply: Z06 Tires On A C5?