C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best way to clean your engine?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2003, 09:45 AM
Chuck Leftwich
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best way to clean your engine?

I have a 99 coupe and was wondering what is the best way to clean the engine? Years ago we use to go to the car wash and spray the engine while the car was running. Is this considered safe for todays cars? Thanks for your feedback.
Old 05-08-2003, 10:35 AM
MattG
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In I, II, III, IV & V Veteran
CI-I & II Auto-X Champ

Default Re: Best way to clean your engine? (Chuck Leftwich)

I spray a bunch of Simple Green all over the engine bay. I close the hood and let it soak for about 5-10 mins and then I powerwash the engine bay paying close attention to not concentrate the water stream near the fusebox or other areas where there are a ton of wires. I usually do this every few weeks and have never had a problem associated with it.

The Simple Green works great on all the rubber, plastic and aluminum.

Old 05-08-2003, 10:37 AM
Daryl
Pro

Default Re: Best way to clean your engine? (MattG)

Thanks MattG. Mine needs cleaning also. :)
Old 05-08-2003, 01:04 PM
Flyin'Brian
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Re: Best way to clean your engine? (MattG)

The Simple Green works great on all the rubber, plastic and aluminum.
Simple Green is my friend :yesnod:
Old 05-08-2003, 06:49 PM
C5Dawg
Racer

I spray the simple green on with a garden sprayer attached to the water hose,let sit then dry with leaf blower. works everytime. :yesnod:
Old 05-08-2003, 06:54 PM
allanlaw
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Best way to clean your engine? (C5Dawg)

There may be an issue with using Simple Green on aluminum, if you don't get it completely rinsed off. Check out the Simple Green website FAQ's:

"Aluminum - Is it safe to use Simple Green on aluminum?

Simple Green products have been successfully and safely used on aircraft, automotive, industrial and consumer aluminum items for over 20 years. However, caution and common sense must be used: Aluminum is a soft metal that easily corrodes with unprotected exposure to water. The aqueous-base and alkalinity of Simple Green or Crystal Simple Green can accelerate the corrosion process. Therefore, contact times of All Purpose Simple Green and Crystal Simple Green with unprotected or unpainted aluminum surfaces should be kept as brief as the job will allow - never for more than 10 minutes. Large cleaning jobs should be conducted in smaller-area stages to achieve lower contact time. Rinsing after cleaning should always be extremely thorough - paying special attention to flush out cracks and crevices to remove all Simple Green/Crystal Simple Green residues. Unfinished, uncoated or unpainted aluminum cleaned with Simple Green products should receive some sort of protectant after cleaning to prevent oxidation."

We went through this on another board when the question of using SG on wheels came up.

[Modified by allanlaw, 3:57 PM 5/8/2003]
Old 05-08-2003, 09:46 PM
RaceMic
Racer

Received 127 Likes on 62 Posts

I've been using Simple Green to clean engines for years. I can't think of a better engine bay cleaner. Safe on everything and very little scrubbing needed. I buy it by the gallon.
Old 05-08-2003, 11:09 PM
edmaverik
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Best way to clean your engine? (RaceMic)

I've been using Simple Green to clean engines for years. I can't think of a better engine bay cleaner. Safe on everything and very little scrubbing needed. I buy it by the gallon.
:iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: Amen!
Old 05-08-2003, 11:32 PM
Untouchable00
Melting Slicks

Simple Green is good stuff, but I have never used it on my car, just my desk in work. But, GAWD :eek: does that shiznit smell funky.
Old 05-09-2003, 12:17 AM
bowtiebandit
Drifting

Default Re: Best way to clean your engine? (Untouchable00)

Because of this I always pack the front of the intake with rags before I clean them off.

Audible Spark Knock (Detonation), MIL Illuminated, DTC P0332 Set (Replace Rear Bank Knock Sensor and RTV Area Around Sensor)

Condition
Some customers may comment on a mild to severe engine ping (commonly referred to as spark knock), usually worse during acceleration and/or an illuminated MIL. Upon investigation, the technician may find DTC P0332 set.

Cause
This condition may be the result of corrosion of the rear bank knock sensor due to water intrusion into the sensor cavity. This condition is more apparent on vehicles in which customers frequently wash the engine compartment.

Get notified of new replies

To Best way to clean your engine?

Quick Reply: Best way to clean your engine?