C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery goes down

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2003, 12:40 PM
rwpatte
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts

Default Battery goes down

HELP! I have a 99 coupe that loses its battery charge. A little history. The O.E.M. battery leaked down own all the items directly below it. The dealer replaced all the affected areas, and replaced everything under warranty. A short time later I noticed the green eye was black. It still started alright. One morning after sitting for two days, the battery was dead for no obvious reason. I took a voltage reading and came up with a figure of 6.8 volts. Charged the battery to starting voltage and proceeded to local dealer. He couldn't find any reason for discharge. He charged ,and sent it home with green eye. Noticed this morning same thing, no green eye, but voltage sitting at 12.14 volts. whats happening? Been to dealer twice. Something is going on but what? No green eye on old battery either...
Thanks for any help
Pat
Old 05-01-2003, 01:50 PM
CAPN17
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Battery goes down (rwpatte)

First of all rip out the green eye and get a good battery. Then check for draw down or acc. on>
Old 05-01-2003, 02:01 PM
rwpatte
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts

Default Re: Battery goes down (CAPN17)

What would be a good battery in place of the stock 78H-6YR, and how is the green eye affecting it? I went for a month with out starting, and it started right up. Ihaven't checked the draw yet. What should it be with everything off? Also will anything have to be reprogrammed after the battery is hooked back up?
Pat
Old 05-02-2003, 04:04 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Don't worry about reprogramming. However, I would charge the battery to full, disconnect it and let it sit for a few days. If the battery drops below 11 or so volts, the battery is faulty. If the battery retains its charge, something may be draining it and you may need to visit an auto-electric shop. Not all dealer techs are good at tracking down electrical drains.

Good luck.
Old 05-03-2003, 01:14 AM
ROCKnROLL
Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i agree with what dave68 suggested you do with the battery.
when i replaced the battery in my 98 i had to reprogram the remotes.
all memory including the radio settings were ok.
Old 05-03-2003, 08:26 AM
LC
Racer

Default Re: Battery goes down (ROCKnROLL)

I replaced the battery on my '99 Coupe with a Red top Optima... no more problems. :chevy
Old 05-03-2003, 08:52 AM
blktie8
Drifting

Check any stereo equipment thats been installed first ,or any electrical add on?
I installed the AC delco glass mat 78p 7yr
All is perfect and no acid leaks
good luck
john

[Modified by blktie8, 8:53 AM 5/3/2003]
Old 05-03-2003, 10:54 AM
white93
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Re: Battery goes down (blktie8)

Agree with Dave68 to see if it is the battery or a short somewhere. I replaced the original battery in my '99 coupe before I had a probelm with it.
The one time my battery died, it turned out to be a short in the driver side power seat switch. I was lucky in that I could hear the motor humming quietly when the car was off so I could track the problem down. I don't know how widespread that is, but I think a couple of others have had similar problems and since you have a '99 I would check there first if it looks like a short some where.
Good luck finding the problem.

Get notified of new replies

To Battery goes down

Quick Reply: Battery goes down