C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Longer oil filter....pics....thoughts????

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2003, 10:00 PM
Shag Finger
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Longer oil filter....pics....thoughts????

I was at Wal-Mart today getting my Fram Sure Drain ;) and I stopped to go through the oil filters. Now, other than the UPF Delcos and the M1s that I have used on the GTP I have always used Frams and never once had an oil related problem. And now that they have some better lines of Frams I am thinking of running them in the Vette. When I had the car in over at East Coast Supercharging getting my headers on, they did an oil change for me and used a Fram and Ams oil, so if a tuner uses them they can't be all that bad right? :confused: :)

So while I was there looking up the puny oil filter for the C5 I got to thinking, isn't the K&N about 3/4" longer than the OEM one? So I found a Fram that was about that much longer. The oem replacement is 3506 and the longer one with the same head is 3675. Below are some pics for you to reference.

When I get the chance I am going to put the longer one on and take some pics to see how much longer it hangs down. If its too much I will put the shorter one back one, but I think I should be safe.

Thoughts?????

[Modified by **** Finger, 10:04 PM 4/22/2003]
Old 04-22-2003, 11:06 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Default Re: Longer oil filter....pics....thoughts???? (**** Finger)

I've thought about this in the past and even did a little research. Other than the obvious length issue (if it's too long you run the risk of damaging the filter from road debris) there's other issues that are just as important. For example: Does the old filter have an "anti-drainback" valve? Does the "new" one? Is the "new" filter rated for the same oil flow rate/pressure as the old one? I finally decided it's way more hassle than it's worth for a filter that is only marginally longer than the original size. For those folks so inclined, it might be better to explore a remote oil filter set-up and then use the "standard" large filter size. That is much more expensive though. JMHO

Robert
Old 04-22-2003, 11:07 PM
Shag Finger
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Longer oil filter....pics....thoughts???? (LoneStarFRC)

They both have the same 2D stamped on the head meaning they are the same specs. The casing legnth is the only difference.
Old 04-22-2003, 11:09 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

They both have the same 2D stamped on the head meaning they are the same specs. The casing legnth is the only difference.
If your pretty confident with it then the only other big thing is how far, if any, it extends down past the oil pan.

Robert
Old 04-22-2003, 11:13 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Oh yeah, one other thing. Be sure to carefully check the threads not only for hole size but make sure one's not SAE and the other Metric.

Robert
Old 04-22-2003, 11:15 PM
Shag Finger
Burning Brakes

I am confident :cheers:

I went through this with my GTP and found that both the factory size pf47 and the longer size pf51 both had 2E stamped on them and confirmed with Delco that they in fact were the same all the way around down to the threads because of that stamping on the head. :cheers:

As soon as I can get a good day I am going to install the filter and see how low it hangs. Hehehe notice how I also purchased the OEM size just in case :smash:

Oh and not sure if anyone else here has seen the new Fram Sure Drain. But I am going to be installing that too. Check it out on http://www.fram.com it should make changing oil a bit easier.

[Modified by **** Finger, 11:15 PM 4/22/2003]
Old 04-23-2003, 10:06 AM
C5 Curmudgeon
Race Director

I'm looking forward to seeing your updates.

:thumbs:
Old 04-23-2003, 11:37 AM
Mike Rohr
Advanced

Do any of the Fram Oil Filters have a Anti Drain Back system like the AC Delco PF44, would be nice to use the Fram PF 3675, thats what my Chevy Truck takes. :steering:
Old 04-23-2003, 11:42 AM
Shag Finger
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Longer oil filter....pics....thoughts???? (Mike Rohr)

Do any of the Fram Oil Filters have a Anti Drain Back system like the AC Delco PF44, would be nice to use the Fram PF 3675, thats what my Chevy Truck takes. :steering:
This is from thier site

FRAM® Tough Guard™ filter with the SureGrip® feature

If you're doing a fair amount of off-roading or tow a trailer frequently you need to pay special attention to your engine's cleanliness and use products formulated for these tough driving conditions.

FRAM® Tough Guard™ filter protects your engine when operating in such tough conditions as:
Extreme hot or cold
Stop-and-go traffic
Unusually dirty roads
Heavy loads and towing

How Does it Work?
The FRAM® Tough Guard™ oil filter features a number of advanced characteristics including:

1. Screen-over by-pass valve: Provides back-up filtration for the times when the filter might become clogged in extremely dusty or dirty conditions or when oil flows through the by-pass valve during cold start-ups. The screen provides added protection and insurance against larger, problematic particles of dirt until you change your filter!

2. Synthetic glass and cellulose media: The most advanced feature is the filter media which is a combination of synthetic glass and cellulose uniquely formulated for top-rated efficiency for the life of the filter. Tough Guard filter has even more synthetic glass and cellulose than FRAM® Extra Guard® filter for an even greater life and efficiency with an SPE of 98%.

3. Silicone anti-drainback valve: This design allows the filter to retain oil when your vehicle is turned off so your engine benefits from a filter full of oil at startup. Constructed of silicone, the gasket remains flexible and continues to perform even in extreme heat.

4. PTFE-coated exterior gasket: Reduces friction making it easier when removing the filter.

Old 04-23-2003, 02:20 PM
1KLRTOY
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Before you choose the oil filter for your Vette, or any other car you should type in oilfilterstudy in your search engine and then decide, I think you;ll be surprised and will stick with Delco filters. Just my .02 worth :thumbs: :flag
Old 04-23-2003, 03:51 PM
Shag Finger
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Longer oil filter....pics....thoughts???? (1KLRTOY)

FYI some food for thought from Fram.....

Mr. Hershberger:

Thank you for the e-mail regarding the recommended Fram oil filter for your 2003 Chevrolet Corvette 5.7L LS6 engine. We welcome the opportunity to be of service.

Not all Fram automotive oil filters contain the anti drain back valve feature. Fram filters meet the requirements of the original equipment filter designed for a specific engine. Our filter applications follow the recommendations of the vehicle manufacturer for form, fit, and function. Fram filters follow internally targeted design guidelines to meet the functional requirements of a given filter. If the original equipment oil filter contains an anti drain back valve, the Fram filter will also have the anti drain back valve in order to meet this functional requirement of the original equipment filter.

According to our application data, the PH3506 is the recommended Fram oil filter for the 2003 Chevrolet Corvette 5.7L LS6 engine. The PH3506 contains an anti drain back valve feature. The anti drain back valve is located underneath the filter tapping plate. If you carefully insert a blunt tip, such as a ball point pen, into the small holes surrounding the large threaded hole in the center of the tapping plate, you can feel the anti drain back valve.

Fram does not offer a Double Guard version of the PH3506 oil filter at this time.

Fram uses cardboard in the end disk construction of the oil filters. However, we believe you may be misinformed regarding the use of cardboard construction. As we stated previously, Fram filters meet the requirements of the original equipment filter designed for a specific engine. Our filter applications follow the recommendations of the vehicle manufacturer for form, fit, and function. Fram filters follow internally targeted design guidelines to meet the functional requirements of a given filter. Fram filters are tested against SAE standards to ensure uniform product quality and performance. Material construction will vary between filter manufacturers. We believe Fram filters have a proven record for providing reliability, superior quality, and engine protection over the service life of the filter.

A common misunderstanding among our customers concerns the end disks in the oil filter. These disks hold the glue which keeps the pleated media formed into a rigid circular tube. The glue-to-media interface is also one of the sealing surfaces keeping dirty and filtered oil from mixing. One common myth is that only metal end disks can adequately seal and have enough strength in the hot oil environment. For this reason, Fram filters are criticized for having cardboard end disks. The issue is, the material doing the sealing is the adhesive, regardless of the material of the end disk. What matters is the strength of the adhesive, its proper curing, the thoroughness with which it can be applied to the disk, and its adhesion to the disk. By using cardboard end disks, Fram filter engineers are able to specify adhesives with excellent strength and sealing properties, and strong adhesion to the disk (intuitively, it is easy to make a strong glue bond with cardboard). Moreover, just as paper media itself is able to withstand the hot oil environment, so too is the end disk designed of fibers engineered to be strong and inert in hot oil. The thickness and strength of the adhesive also stiffens the end disk considerably.

Fram engineers perform hot oil circulation tests on the filter element and also regularly cut open used filters to examine how well they have withstood the rigors of actual use on a vehicle. For over 38 years, Fram end disks have stood up to hot oil and their adhesives have sealed off the dirty oil.

We believe Fram filters are clearly the best filters available. Fram is committed to standing behind and endorsing it's products and filter recommendations listed in the current Fram application catalogs. As part of this commitment, if you believe your Fram oil filters have failed due to the construction of the end disks, we encourage you to contact the Fram Product Evaluation Team toll free at 1-877-250-8361 for further assistance.

Thank you for choosing Fram filters.

Cordially,

Scott Jacobs
Catalog/Technical Service Representative
Catalog/Technical Service Department
Old 04-23-2003, 05:08 PM
Snake Slayer
Melting Slicks

Received 513 Likes on 193 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

On my previous F-body I ran the M-206 which was longer than the reccommeded size. On the Vette I would not even think about it. The ground clearance issues plus the bad roads in the North East :nono:. I would suggest you stick with the standard size and use a quality filter like UPF 44 gold.

[Modified by Snake Slayer, 5:09 PM 4/23/2003]
Old 04-23-2003, 08:59 PM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Re: Longer oil filter....pics....thoughts???? (Snake Slayer)

notice how the bottom of the oil filter is flush with the flar oil pan.

Consider you are taking somewhat of a risk by sticking a longer one out there.

With no issues with the stock sized filter why risk the damage factor?
What's wrong with the stock filter?
Old 04-24-2003, 06:56 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

Default Re: Longer oil filter....pics....thoughts???? (Gary2KC5)

Latest data is starting to show that Fram and a few others do not flow as well and likely by-pass a lot of oil.
Old 04-24-2003, 09:53 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,394 Likes on 747 Posts

Considering that the AC Delco PF-44 filters are usually the same price as the Fram, and that the PF-44 filter hasn't had any problems, why wouldn't you use them? Why go to a longer filter that has no structure around to protect the end of the filter casing?

No flames intended, but just don't understand.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 04-24-2003, 05:39 PM
2KFRC5
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Longer oil filter....pics....thoughts???? (Gary2KC5)

notice how the bottom of the oil filter is flush with the flar oil pan.

Consider you are taking somewhat of a risk by sticking a longer one out there.

With no issues with the stock sized filter why risk the damage factor?
What's wrong with the stock filter?
:iagree: The longer filter would be the lowest part underneath. Too risky for me!
BTW, last month I found the OEM AC-Delco PF-44 on clearance at our local K-Mart for $1.50 ea. Needless to say, I stocked up. :D

Get notified of new replies

To Longer oil filter....pics....thoughts????

Quick Reply: Longer oil filter....pics....thoughts????