C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vortech it is!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2003, 01:02 AM
Yano
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vortech it is!!!!!

Well I finally decided on the Vortech.

I have talked to numerous tuners out there. Andy, Chris, Nate, the list goes on and on. Since November I have been trying to decide which system to go with, TT, ATI, Magnusson, NOS and big CI. I went with the Vortech with the conclusion of the following; easy install, easy maintenance, good reliability, no new hood (Magnusson), smooth linear power delivery (turbo to abrupt for me), no trips to refill my power (NOS).

I was looking at the TT from Extreme but did not like the dyno results. It seems the car would be difficult to drive with the huge gains in TQ so suddenly and the inherent flaw of the system (small turbos to fit under the hood) HP dies over 5000 rpm. I really felt if they could have put bigger turbos on the kit or moved the power curve up 1000 rpm the system would have made much more HP and would be a lot easier to drive. The system seems to die once the HP and TQ meet instead of the HP continuing its climb, it’s done. Plus if anything happened to the car, I would have to spend $1800 to ship the car back and forth to Tempe to get it worked on. Just my .02

Went against the ATI, it just seems that every other day someone finds a new major problem with it. Great power gains just not for me.

The Vortech install will be similar in location to the ATI. We are going to put the SC on the passenger side of the car. We will be using the VORTECH T-TRIM. I know it’s noisier than the S-Trim and especially the SQ. But I have been told the T-Trim gets to boost earlier and can support future engine upgrades. Also heard on the SQ they have had some gear problems in cold climates. Plan on running 5-7lbs of boost, most likely on the low side since the ZO6 has the higher compression motor. I am about 6800-7000 ft above sea level.

The aftercooler will reside where the radiator overflow once called home. The cooled air only travels about 18-24” to the throttle body staying cool the whole way. The battery will be relocated to the trunk, and the radiator overflow will find its new home where the battery used to be. We will be using an 8-rib CNC pulley custom made. Intake will come just in front of the left front tire and will run 3” mandrel bent tubing under the car to the passenger side.

The water pump will need to be extended a few inches to line up with the pulleys This setup will solve the problem with the Vortech taking 2-4 hours to change belts. I think this would allow for 30-60 min. belt changes. I will be using the BBK throttle body a K&N cone air filter, LG motorsports Jet Hot Coated LT headers, free flow cats, and the Corsa X-pipe. Thinking about going to the GHL exhaust, but will wait and see how loud the car is first. 42lb SVO injectors and most likely Racetronix fuel system.

If anyone is interested I hope to take pictures as the install progresses.

Yano

Old 04-18-2003, 02:41 AM
Torched Z
Racer

Default Re: Vortech it is!!!!! (Yano)

Awesome......definetly keep us updated with pics :yesnod:
Old 04-18-2003, 10:47 AM
DsC5
Race Director

:cool: :cheers:
Old 04-19-2003, 12:36 AM
Yano
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Vortech it is!!!!! (DsC5)

Update

Got the LG headers installed today. If these are the best fitting headers on the market I would hate to see the others. The passenger side had to be pushed and pried about 3/4" to get it to meet the bracket.

On the drivers side one of the tubes was rubbing against the steering rod. Had to make an adjustment but everything is fine now.

The headers are gorgeous. I had them Jet Hot coated and they really look nice

BBK throttle body is on. Battery relocation cable has been run to the trunk. Crank will be pinned tomorrow. Going to send out the alternator and have it polished so it matches the look of the polished Vortech SC.

That’s it for now.

Yano

Old 04-19-2003, 01:45 AM
Yano
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Wow how stupid do I feel. :(

I did a search on the PTC Vortech setup and this is basically the kit I am getting. I am not paying $12K for the kit or anywhere near that number. The guy doing my install basically said he designed about 95% of the kit. I have only been a member here since November, but I don't remember anyone talking about this kit.

Thanks for info guys. :banghead: :banghead: :leaving:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zero...=226655&page=1 http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=147133
Old 04-19-2003, 01:59 AM
Andy@A&ACorvette
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 202 Likes on 125 Posts

Don't use the Vortech 4 pin kit for the crank. I've had a couple of them sheer off. I showed Chris (the head engineer at Vortech) the single large pin kit like the Procharger one and he is making a new kit that is similar. If you don't have that type, I can lend you one. I have one that's been all over the country! :D

[Modified by Andy@AandACorvette, 11:00 PM 4/18/2003]
Old 04-19-2003, 09:03 PM
Yano
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Vortech it is!!!!! (Andy@AandACorvette)

Thanks Andy.

If you weren't so damn busy I think you would have my car!!! I will ask on Monday what type of pin they do, but if I am not mistaken they had a F-body in there getting some work done to it, and I do recall seeing just one pretty good sized pin on the crank.
Old 04-19-2003, 09:15 PM
vic kovner
Instructor

Good choice. Mine is great.

The GHL exhaust has a great sound OUTSIDE the car and no aggravating hum inside. I don't know if there is any power advantage but it is a head turning growl.

You will probably want io beef up the suspension to minimize torque steer and improve higher speed turning performance.

Vic Kovner
2003 Millenium Yellow Convertible
MN6, Z51, R8C, CAGS, GHL Pro Cat Back (installed by Enochs' Muffler), Vortech V2 SQ SuperCharger (Vortech R&D 2003 LS-1 Prototype)
Morgan Motorsports REV Dual Valve springs w/ Titanium retainers
Vortech Computer Reprogram (by SuperChips)
Dyno: Rear wheel Torque 430@5000rpm, over 400 from 3750 to 6000rpm
Rear wheel HP 472@6500
Guldstrand Suspension Upgrade:
Z06 springs, Bilstein Shocks, T1 sway bars with bushings, T1 Heim jointed end links, Z06 wheels with Goodyear F1 ZR Supercar tires

Daily driver: 2003 Civic Hybrid with fore and aft Corvette decals :steering:

[Modified by vic kovner, 8:15 PM 4/19/2003]

[Modified by vic kovner, 8:17 PM 4/19/2003]
Old 04-19-2003, 09:16 PM
7LitreC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 646 Likes on 388 Posts

Default Re: Vortech it is!!!!! (Andy@AandACorvette)

Andy,

Is this something that all of us Vortech owners should be concerned about? I really don't want to take my car back apart again...
Old 04-19-2003, 09:17 PM
vic kovner
Instructor

Good choice. Mine is great.

The GHL exhaust has a great sound OUTSIDE the car and no aggravating hum inside. I don't know if there is any power advantage but it is a head turning growl.

You will probably want io beef up the suspension to minimize torque steer and improve higher speed turning performance.
Old 04-19-2003, 10:07 PM
Jackj42
Instructor

Default Re: Vortech it is!!!!! (vic kovner)

I would love to see pictures. The complaints about the Vortech system IMO would be maintenance (xhanging belts) and all the "stuff" (literally) in front of the engine. Sounds like this solves those issues.

Jack
Old 04-20-2003, 01:40 AM
Steve'01
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Vortech it is!!!!! (VortechC5)

Hey Andy and Mark

FYI when we took my balancer off it had spun and sheered the pins off. The crank is now keyed. :cheers: :cheers:
Old 04-20-2003, 02:36 AM
Yano
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Vortech it is!!!!! (Jackj42)

I would love to see pictures. The complaints about the Vortech system IMO would be maintenance (xhanging belts) and all the "stuff" (literally) in front of the engine. Sounds like this solves those issues.

Jack
Not real good at the picture posting stuff but here is a link that shows the system.
http://performancetechcenter.com/index3.htm
Old 04-20-2003, 10:08 AM
7LitreC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 646 Likes on 388 Posts

Default Re: Vortech it is!!!!! (Steve'01)

Steve,

That really sucks. :cry

I guess that I have a huge project ahead of me. I think that I'll wait until next winter and hope for the best over for the next few months. Maybe I'll do some other enhancements if I have it back apart...

Get notified of new replies

To Vortech it is!!!!!

Quick Reply: Vortech it is!!!!!