C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

John Lingenfelter update

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2003, 01:01 AM
RWE 427
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: John Lingenfelter update (stevenll)

:blueangel: We're all pulling for you John! Prayers sent your way.
Old 04-17-2003, 02:14 AM
QWKAZEL
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Re: John Lingenfelter update (flynbludream)

quote: The fractured 6th and 7th vertebrae of his neck have fused properly without surgery, quote

I think the person who wrote this might be mistaken. If I understand things correctly the only way to fuse two vertabrae together is to surgically open up the neck, probably in front because of how high up the fracture is, and fuse the vertabrae together, C6 and C7 in his case, with bone(probably from his hip) and titanium pins. They just don't fuse together on their own. Doesn't mention anything about him not being able to move his lower extremities....that sucks he had to go back in for more surgury. I wonder why there was a need for that? Anyway, I hope the guy pulls through. Looks like he has a huge support section, that is always good in times like these. :(
Old 04-17-2003, 03:39 AM
w8d4it
Pro

St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09

Default Re: John Lingenfelter update (QWKAZEL)

You are correct. Although there is a relatively new procedure involving titanium plugs that eliminate the need for bone grafts (whether from your own hip or a cadaver.) I know because unfortunately I had to undergo a fusion of the 5th and 6th as a result of an accident.

quote: The fractured 6th and 7th vertebrae of his neck have fused properly without surgery, quote

I think the person who wrote this might be mistaken. If I understand things correctly the only way to fuse two vertabrae together is to surgically open up the neck, probably in front because of how high up the fracture is, and fuse the vertabrae together, C6 and C7 in his case, with bone(probably from his hip) and titanium pins. They just don't fuse together on their own. Doesn't mention anything about him not being able to move his lower extremities....that sucks he had to go back in for more surgury. I wonder why there was a need for that? Anyway, I hope the guy pulls through. Looks like he has a huge support section, that is always good in times like these. :(
Old 04-17-2003, 04:48 AM
QWKAZEL
Burning Brakes

Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Re: John Lingenfelter update (w8d4it)

You are correct. Although there is a relatively new procedure involving titanium plugs that eliminate the need for bone grafts (whether from your own hip or a cadaver.) I know because unfortunately I had to undergo a fusion of the 5th and 6th as a result of an accident.

w8d4it,

Hey, I'm right there with you man. My 6th and 7th are fused from a diving accident. That's how I know about all that stuff. They took bone from my right hip and fused the two verts together using Titanium screws. I believe that even if Mr. Lingenfelter recovers from his coma he will still have to deal with being paralized from his chest down, like I am. If he as strong willed as everyone says then he will be back driving in no time. It didn't take me long to get back to the track. We'll see him back there in no time, hopefully :auto: :thumbs:
Old 04-22-2003, 08:23 AM
Hammer
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Re: John Lingenfelter update (QWKAZEL)

:sad: :blueangel:
Old 04-22-2003, 10:46 AM
DJ Self
Pro

Default Re: John Lingenfelter update (Hammer)

:blueangel: My prayers are with him..
Old 04-22-2003, 11:28 AM
rrobert22
Melting Slicks

Default Re: John Lingenfelter update (flynbludream)

Thats pretty sad, I met his daughter, she seemed very nice. Its a sad situation for them.
Old 04-22-2003, 11:41 AM
Noggles
Team Owner

Location: Adventure, excitement ... a Jedi craves not these things.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: John Lingenfelter update (rrobert22)

:blueangel:
Old 04-22-2003, 01:20 PM
J-Rod
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: John Lingenfelter update (Noggles)

I had posted this msg on the z06 site, but since this came up here , I will post it in this thread also...

If you look at what happened in the hosiptal, the fact that he was given anestetic which he had a very adverse reaction too. This cause his heart and respiration to stop. The doctors revived him, but if I understand correctly, it took some time for this to occur.

Anytime someone has an episode of this nature it can result in anything from no problem whatsoever, to total brain death due to lack of oxygen to the brain, or just about anything in between. It all relates to how long the heart was stopped, and how long the brain was without oxygen...

While I cannot comment on Mr. Lingenfelters exact condition, as I have no first hand knowledge of it whatsoever. Here is the key excerpt from a press release from the NHRA sport comapct website from Dec 19th.

Dec. 19: NHRA driver, engineer, and legendary tuner John Lingenfelter's team has announced that Lingenfelter remains in a "semi-comatose state" as a result of complications from medical treatment.

Lingenfelter is at Methodist Hospital in Indianapolis, an experienced trauma facility, where he was transported after being hospitalized in Pomona following an incident at the NHRA Summit Sport Compact Series finals in October.

Lingenfelter's physicians rate the prognosis to recover from his neck and spinal injuries as "excellent," according to the family. But they say the chances of recovery from his semi-comatose state are "extremely poor" in "the foreseeable future".

I am not going to make any statements of facts either way, as I have none to offer. But based upon the statement above, I don't think you have to be a genius to read between the lines of that statement as to what it means, and what says...

With that said, John Lingenfelter remains high on my list of all time greatest engine builders and tuners. My hope is that he will recover, and I pray that he does. But, based upon what I have heard and read, I think this may be difficult.

Also, to expand upon that a bit further based upon what the new press release states. Again, I have no knowledge on Mr. Lingenfelter's brain activity. Nor have I seen any offical statement on his brain function, etc... If Mr. Lingenfelter was deprived of oxygen long enough for his brain to suffer damage such that there is no brain activity as alluded to by one of the posts, then his body could survive just as long as any normal person. But, in essence, he would not wake up. If he is anywhere in between he could do anything ranging from staying in a coma to waking up tomorrow. But, as I said, there is nothing I have seen that officially says what the condition of his brain is, although I have seen and heard many rumors.

There is much we do not know in this situation. Idle speculation is obviously not a positive thing. I also hope and pray for a speedy recovery. However, based upon the statements I have seen and heard, and my own personal experience with folks in a comatose state or suffering from a severe brain injury, I am somewhat concerend that this is not a situation that will change in a positive manner.
Old 04-22-2003, 02:18 PM
EuG
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: John Lingenfelter update (J-Rod)

:sad: :blueangel:
Old 04-22-2003, 03:00 PM
NEPTUNEBILL
Melting Slicks

:iagree: :blueangel: prayers to JL
Old 04-22-2003, 04:09 PM
kuruvette
Burning Brakes

Default Re: John Lingenfelter update (NEPTUNEBILL)

To help clarify medical terminolgy.

If a person doesn't have brain activity, they are considered "brain dead" and could not function without the help of a mechanical ventilator and other support. This does not sound like his current state.

Not knowing the specifics of his current condition, it sounds more likely that he suffered "anoxic encephalopathy", where oxygen to the brain was cut off too long. This can lead to a "persistent vegatative state". He would still have brain function but not at the higher levels for reasoning, interacting, talking. He would be comatose or semi-comatose thoughout the day, looking as though he were sleeping.

Only time will tell how much he will recover. The brain can heal, but it may take months to years. Lets be cautiously optimistic. :blueangel:
Old 04-22-2003, 04:11 PM
bob53
Melting Slicks

Received 302 Likes on 138 Posts

J-Rod is on the money here... Unfortunately....

Without all of the information- Drug(s) used, time w/o pulse/respiration, clinical findings of coma/extent of findings, etc. we cannot truly appreciate the extent of the brain damage to John. Having said that, however, reading between the lines suggests his prognosis is very poor indeed. I hope John recovers but the odds of this are exceedingly small... I hope I am wrong.

-Bob
Old 04-22-2003, 06:26 PM
BigLew
Burning Brakes

Default Re: John Lingenfelter update (bob53)

Met him at the C-5 bash last year, a very nice guy. Took time to explain some things on the mag car. Never told me who he was. I found out later. Our prayers :blueangel: :chevy :blueangel:
Old 04-22-2003, 07:06 PM
J Z06
Team Owner

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default John Lingenfelter update

I met John At Englishtown with my best friend. John was trying to leave the track after being eliminated in pro stock truck rounds...but he still took his time to talk with us. He even gave us free t shirts and offered us to come to the shop and dinner on him when we got there. My friend is in the restaurant business and couldn't get the time to go. He, like I am, is praying and hoping John gets through this.

John is a very strong person, and I think He'll get past this. :blueangel:
Old 04-22-2003, 08:16 PM
VNAMVET
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 197 Posts

Default Re: John Lingenfelter update (Buckmaster)

We are ALL pulling for you. Our heartfelt condolences are with your family. You are a fighter and WILL pull through! You are surrounded by :blueangel: , and need not worry as they will be with you. Do not worry, as you will be ok..........................

Craig
Old 04-23-2003, 10:34 AM
Jason Blue Boost
Drifting

Received 102 Likes on 38 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Default Re: John Lingenfelter update (Jay D 90 383)

Ben up to LPE many times, always took the time to talk to us about his thoughts and creations after test driving a vehicle :steering: John is in our prayers :blueangel:

Quick Reply: John Lingenfelter update