C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gauge and readout says LOW FUEL!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2003, 09:09 PM
harleyvette
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Gauge and readout says LOW FUEL!!!

I have seen this on the forum but paid little attention. Well it has happened to me. I had just filled my tank and traveled a few miles when the alarm came on and the readout said Low Fuel! I looked at the gauge and it showed empty. This was imposible! After shutting off the 1998 C5 and starting up again I hoped it might correct itself, it didnt! I drove a few miles to my destination and shut off the Vette, fifteen minutes or so later I started it up and bingo the gauge shows full and no warning or readout! Can anyone explain and give me instructions on what to do next time? or should I have it repaired? My C5 is still under warranty. THANKS :confused:
Old 04-08-2003, 10:27 PM
bk
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Gauge and readout says LOW FUEL!!! (harleyvette)

Pretty common problem. GM claims the problem is a degradation of the tank sending unit. There is a TSB out on it.

In my case, I can't have the dealer fix it because their first step is to reflash the PCM, which would do my H/C motor no good at all and I'd have to send the PCM back to LPE for reprogramming. From what I've seen here, the reprogramming doesn't really work anyway and you have the have the sending unit replaced.

So, for me, one of these days I'll be replacing my sending unit myself. the problem seems to come and go, so I just keep hoping it works the next time I start the car.

Old 04-08-2003, 11:27 PM
psgarage@ptd.net
Advanced

My 2000 did the same thing and I almost ran out of gas on the interstate. Took it back to the dealer and explained what happened and they replaced the senders.
Old 04-08-2003, 11:38 PM
elric
Drifting

Default Re: Gauge and readout says LOW FUEL!!! (psgarage@ptd.net)

Was this fixed in or before '03 or should I keep an eye out for this also?

Old 04-08-2003, 11:53 PM
devo
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

welcome to the club :thumbs: :party:
it comes and it goes, fix? i havent heard of anything that works yet but im keeping my fingers crossed
Old 04-09-2003, 02:58 PM
zenvet
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had the sensors done 6 months ago. This past Sunday the gauge freaked again. The dealer said they have a new Computer program to fix the problem, so far it works. GM bulletin blames it on the sulfur in gas.
Old 04-10-2003, 12:11 AM
ScreaminDemon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This happened to me last week! I had half a tank left and was racing some guy when the light came on and gauge said empty! I found an Aamaco and it only took half a tank, got back in and everything was fine? Now I know what was up...
Old 04-11-2003, 06:23 AM
dannymin
Intermediate

Default Re: Gauge and readout says LOW FUEL!!! (ScreaminDemon)

I believe there is a TSB that makes a reference to a reprogram. I brought my car in and had the sensors replaced under warranty. Everything's been fine since then.
Old 04-12-2003, 11:04 AM
SnowyATX
Safety Car

Received 314 Likes on 212 Posts

Believe it or not there are at least two of us here on the forum that have had this happen when being "radar'ed". I know, it sounds like BS.....but when I read that it happened to someone else I began to think my incident wasn't a coincidence. Anyhow, this has happened to me once, about a year and a half ago (with a cop pointing his radar gun right at my car), and hasn't happened again. :steering:
Old 04-12-2003, 01:21 PM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Default Re: Gauge and readout says LOW FUEL!!! (PewterC5)

It has happened to me with my car having only 55 miles on it the first day! It has happened 5 times since in 2 years so I don't think it is from anything in gas affecting anything over time. The fact is that so many people have the problem and even after getting it 'fixed' it still happens. I prefer to live with it rather than letting Goober at the local Chevy dealership have a field day with 500 HP.
Old 04-12-2003, 01:35 PM
bowtiebandit
Drifting

Default Re: Gauge and readout says LOW FUEL!!! (SpinMonster)

Hope these help out..

Erratic Fuel Gauge Reading (Reprogram the PCM) #02-06-04-010 - (02/21/2002)
Erratic Fuel Gauge Reading (Reprogram the PCM)
2002 Chevrolet Corvette

Condition
Some owners may comment about the fuel gauge intermittently indicating an empty reading and then return to the correct fuel level indication.

Cause
This condition may result when fuel blends containing aggressive sulphur compounds react with the fuel sender assembly, which may result in voltage spikes being induced on the fuel level signal to the PCM. Use of another fuel blend may reverse this reaction and return the system to normal operation.

Correction
Reprogram the PCM with the new service calibration
Old 04-12-2003, 01:37 PM
bowtiebandit
Drifting

Default Re: Gauge and readout says LOW FUEL!!! (bowtiebandit)

Inaccurate/Erratic Fuel Level Gage Readings (Install New Sensor, Strainer and/or RH Fuel Sender Assembly) #01-06-04-022 - (03/16/2001)
Inaccurate/Erratic Fuel Level Gage Readings (Install New Sensor, Strainer and/or R.H. Fuel Sender Assembly)
1997-2000 Chevrolet Corvette

Condition
Some owners may comment about inaccurate/erratic fuel level gage reading conditions such as those indicated below:

Fuel gage suddenly drops to E (empty) and CHECK GAGES message illuminates (DTC P1431 or P0461 set).
Fuel gage does not go to F (full) after filling fuel tank.
Vehicle runs out of fuel while the gage still indicates fuel is available.
Cause
The conditions indicated above may be the result of one or a combination of more than one of the causes indicated below:

Stuck or intermittent sticking of the sensor float arm.
Clogged/restricted R.H. fuel sender assembly jet pump.
R.H. jet pump unable to transfer fuel due to fuel vaporization resulting in bubble accumulation in the fuel strainer.
Correction

Inspect the Julian date codes located on the bar code labels attached to the R.H. and L.H. fuel level sender assembly cover plates as shown in the figure. If the R.H. sender date code is less/smaller than "01301", replace the complete assembly with a new fuel sender kit indicated below by model year. If the L.H. sender date code is less/smaller than "32791", replace the existing fuel sender sensor and strainer with those components contained in the applicable sensor and strainer kits shown below by model year.

To insure correct installation, follow the service procedure contained in the applicable Service Manual and the instructions contained in the service kits.

Parts Information
Part Number
Description

R.H. Fuel Sender Kit (1997-1999 M.Y.)

R.H. Fuel Sender Kit (2000 M.Y.)

Fuel Sensor Kit (1997-2000 M.Y.)

Fuel Strainer Kit (1997-1999 M.Y.)

Fuel Strainer Kit (2000 M.Y.)

Old 04-14-2003, 05:28 PM
khesanh
Cruising

Default Re: Gauge and readout says LOW FUEL!!! (bowtiebandit)

I've been following this thread because it has happened to me also. My 03 was made just a few months before GM decided to change things to keep this from happening. I juest wanted to include this recent bit of info. Because I have 3500 miles on the car and had the fuel guage problem twice in the last month, I went to my local Chevy dealer here in town at lunch and decided to ask about the fix. I had all the TSB stuff in hand. I guess I should have expected as nuch, but the service writer told me that he had NEVER heard of this happenibg before. When I showed him the TSB, he said " OH, another internet guy" Before I walked out, He told me that I could leave it and they would look at it. He also said that they were not responsible for the lost gas if they had to pull the tanks. Now this is something I expected to hear from a dealer who might have sold me a $20,000. carn but not a $48,000. one. I bought it at Kerbeck Chevy in Atlantic City, NJ but didn't want to travel that far to get it fixed. Oh well, Guess I'll be going there. By the way, I called Kerbeck and asked them about the problem...would you believe he said he was not aware of the problem. Give me a brake here. Anyone from the New Jersey area have a good name for me from Kerbeck's in the service dept. that might be a little more alert??? :banghead:
Old 04-14-2003, 09:01 PM
SideStep
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Gauge and readout says LOW FUEL!!! (khesanh)

Keep looking there are good dealers and service centers out there. The one I use, Tom Jumper, has always been up to date on the TSBs and more than willing to apply whatever fix was needed...

Good luck

:cheers:

I've been following this thread because it has happened to me also. My 03 was made just a few months before GM decided to change things to keep this from happening. I juest wanted to include this recent bit of info. Because I have 3500 miles on the car and had the fuel guage problem twice in the last month, I went to my local Chevy dealer here in town at lunch and decided to ask about the fix. I had all the TSB stuff in hand. I guess I should have expected as nuch, but the service writer told me that he had NEVER heard of this happenibg before. When I showed him the TSB, he said " OH, another internet guy" Before I walked out, He told me that I could leave it and they would look at it. He also said that they were not responsible for the lost gas if they had to pull the tanks. Now this is something I expected to hear from a dealer who might have sold me a $20,000. carn but not a $48,000. one. I bought it at Kerbeck Chevy in Atlantic City, NJ but didn't want to travel that far to get it fixed. Oh well, Guess I'll be going there. By the way, I called Kerbeck and asked them about the problem...would you believe he said he was not aware of the problem. Give me a brake here. Anyone from the New Jersey area have a good name for me from Kerbeck's in the service dept. that might be a little more alert??? :banghead:
Old 04-14-2003, 09:17 PM
luv2golf
Racer

I just purchased my vette in NY Sat. and drove it back from to Baton Rouge. On the way back everything seemed fine until I decieded to flex it muscels a bit. I only pushed it to 120 for a few seconds and shut it down to avoid a ticket. It was after then that the fuel problem showed up, but more then that showed up as well. At the same time the Temp gage also pegged overheated, the windows didn't work and the radio cut off. Anyone seen that one? I took it to the dealer today and they seemed to know nothing about the fuel problem, but I didn't push anything yet. I wanted to check with you guys first. They are planning on replacing the Trackion Control Module, but the tech wanted to check with GM for more info. Anything I should know about?
Old 04-14-2003, 11:28 PM
khesanh
Cruising

Default Re: Gauge and readout says LOW FUEL!!! (SideStep)

Since I last posted, I recieved an email from the Chevrolet Corvette Owners Assistance people. I told them of the problem and who I had spoke to about it. I was told by a Maria Dacosta from Chevrolet that she had spoke to the service manager "Jack Versa" of Kerbeck Chevy in Atlantic City. He had stated that there is a fix for this but it would have to be brought in for codes. He also stated that it may be the right side fuel level sensor. I'll be bringing it in Monday. I'm impressed....... :thumbs:
Old 04-15-2003, 01:25 AM
wottogo
Racer

Default Re: Gauge and readout says LOW FUEL!!! (luv2golf)

I just purchased my vette in NY Sat. and drove it back from to Baton Rouge. On the way back everything seemed fine until I decieded to flex it muscels a bit. I only pushed it to 120 for a few seconds and shut it down to avoid a ticket. It was after then that the fuel problem showed up, but more then that showed up as well. At the same time the Temp gage also pegged overheated, the windows didn't work and the radio cut off. Anyone seen that one? I took it to the dealer today and they seemed to know nothing about the fuel problem, but I didn't push anything yet. I wanted to check with you guys first. They are planning on replacing the Trackion Control Module, but the tech wanted to check with GM for more info. Anything I should know about?
:seeya Make sure your battery isn't leaking down onto the PCM. 98s have a non-AGM battery that leak at the posts. PCM is directly under battery. Makes everything go off if it gets leaked on.
Old 04-25-2003, 02:56 PM
khesanh
Cruising

Default Re: Gauge and readout says LOW FUEL!!! (khesanh)

I took my 03 into Kerbeck for the fuel guage fix the 21st of this month. They took it right in and after checkin the car over and reading te codes, the service manager told me that they would have to replace the right side fuel sending unit. I left my car and went home in a loaner. I got a call from the dealership at 12:00pm the next day. Car was done in less than 24 hours.
Absolutly no pain..This was the first time I had to go to the dealer "Kerbeck: and it won't be the last. Very friendly place. Nice Corvette museum too....Gary :party:

Get notified of new replies

To Gauge and readout says LOW FUEL!!!

Quick Reply: Gauge and readout says LOW FUEL!!!