C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I am finishing my oil consumption test and should be getting some stuff replaced

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2003, 09:14 PM
0-60N4
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I am finishing my oil consumption test and should be getting some stuff replaced

Ok, I am about to show my ignorance, but that is why I have you guys to help me out.

When fixing what the dealership has to fix, do they need to be anywhere near the CAM? or springs? And do you think the dealership would update me to Z06 stuff if I paid for the parts and they did the labor?

How much am I dreaming? Is there a chance?

What parts would you get replaced if you could at this time with the oil consumption test finish?

Old 04-06-2003, 09:32 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 713 Likes on 494 Posts

Default Re: I am finishing my oil consumption test and should be getting some stuff replaced (0-60N4)

They will change the valley cover and/or the piston rings. Either can be done without removing the heads or valvetrain.

Believe it or not, many dealers have learned to drop the front subframe, pull the pan, and chance the pistons without ever changing top end componenets.

If you are willing to spend the $$ on the parts, however, I would ask them. They may cut you a deal on the labor, and both of you come out ahead.
Old 04-06-2003, 10:36 PM
CJS
Melting Slicks

Default Re: I am finishing my oil consumption test and should be getting some stuff replaced (0-60N4)

My dealer added all my mods(heads, cam, pulley, headers, cats, x-pipe, and clutch) in the sig for $500 labor during the re-ring. Everything turned out great and I could not tell the car had been worked on. I had the gears done later on. My dealer is mod friendly and really works hard to make people happy. You might as well ask him, he may say sure.
Old 04-07-2003, 09:54 PM
Bink
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Mine goes in for re-ring this week. I need more valve clearance for a bigger cam so dealer is switching out stock Mahle pistons for Flycut, stock Mahle pistons. They were very happy to help. :yesnod: :cool: :cheers:
Old 04-21-2003, 05:32 PM
0Vette Stripes
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08

Ok, I am about to show my ignorance, but that is why I have you guys to help me out.

When fixing what the dealership has to fix, do they need to be anywhere near the CAM? or springs? And do you think the dealership would update me to Z06 stuff if I paid for the parts and they did the labor?

What parts would you get replaced if you could at this time with the oil consumption test finish?

My car also got Oil Consumption issue. How does dealer test it to get you approved? My car more than 50K miles and I got a 1700 miles head. I really want them to put the new head with a custom cam, springs, pushrods, and retainers. But gotta get them approved for the fix first.
Please let me know.
Thanks
Old 04-21-2003, 05:40 PM
0-60N4
Instructor

Default Re: I am finishing my oil consumption test and should be getting some stuff replaced (mike76002)

My car also got Oil Consumption issue. How does dealer test it to get you approved? My car more than 50K miles and I got a 1700 miles head. I really want them to put the new head with a custom cam, springs, pushrods, and retainers. But gotta get them approved for the fix first.
Please let me know.
Thanks
Well, they changed the oil in the car, and told me to bring it back in 500 miles. So, I told my wife, I want you to drive the car very gently but keep the revs at 3000 or so while running the car. Needless to say, the car finished its first 500 miles with just over 1 qt burned. They said that was all they needed to change out the rings. I asked them to put in my short throw shifter and the underdrive pulleys. Any thing else, they baulked at and said it would be labor as well.

BTW, it turns out that my car was making a vibrating sound at 70Mph or so in top gear... the "U Joints" in the torque tube were having issues. So they are replacing all that as well.
Old 04-21-2003, 05:49 PM
0Vette Stripes
Former Vendor

Well, they changed the oil in the car, and told me to bring it back in 500 miles. So, I told my wife, I want you to drive the car very gently but keep the revs at 3000 or so while running the car. Needless to say, the car finished its first 500 miles with just over 1 qt burned. They said that was all they needed to change out the rings. I asked them to put in my short throw shifter and the underdrive pulleys. Any thing else, they baulked at and said it would be labor as well.

BTW, it turns out that my car was making a vibrating sound at 70Mph or so in top gear... the "U Joints" in the torque tube were having issues. So they are replacing all that as well.
It is not to be cheated but what if I drain a bit oil out after 500 miles, how are they gonna know?
Did they find out the "U joints" issue or you found out?
Thanks for your answer. I just replace my oil yesterday.
I'll talk to them tomorrow.
:cheers:
Old 04-21-2003, 05:52 PM
0-60N4
Instructor

Default Re: I am finishing my oil consumption test and should be getting some stuff replaced (mike76002)

you may giggle, but my dealership put what looks like a small chalk strip at the plug... I wanted to make sure that mine was burning oil.... I decided to leave all alone. Glad I did. The best thing was to drive the car like a baby, but at 3000 RPM or higher... and at low speeds. Highway driving, I am told will not help. And all they did was look at the dip stick anyway at 500 miles. They seemed happy to do it... they just needed to document that it was all done.
Old 04-21-2003, 06:03 PM
0Vette Stripes
Former Vendor

you may giggle, but my dealership put what looks like a small chalk strip at the plug... I wanted to make sure that mine was burning oil.... I decided to leave all alone. Glad I did. The best thing was to drive the car like a baby, but at 3000 RPM or higher... and at low speeds. Highway driving, I am told will not help. And all they did was look at the dip stick anyway at 500 miles. They seemed happy to do it... they just needed to document that it was all done.
:lolg: I just called my dealer in DFW, Bruce Lowrie Chevrolet, and yes, they will need to replace my oil to doc. the oil burned. I always drive my C5 most of the time under 2500 rpm and on highway so I am not sure it will help.
I will start driving it over 3000 rpm today even on the high way to see if it helps. I got PCV valve mod and their is oil in there. I am not sure this will prove to them that their is oil in my intake manifold and not sure they will ask me to take that off.
Thanks
Old 04-21-2003, 08:04 PM
boost2much
Pro

I just dropped my car off to get the rings replaced today. They first gave me a sheet of paper and told me to record the mileage and oil used. Then, I had to re-do the test and have them add the oil and record the mileage :rolleyes: All said and done, I'm burning 1 qt every 1200 miles. I hope they don't mess up my car and get it done quickly. I don't know how long I can stand driving the rental Cavalier :smash: :crazy:
Old 04-21-2003, 08:11 PM
CJS
Melting Slicks

When I was going through the GM/Dealer oil consumption test, I drove the **** out of the car! I revved it to 3000rpm minimum on every shift and also drove in 5th on the freeway at 75mph.
Two things happened. The consumption went from 1400 miles/qt to 1000 miles/qt.
Second thing was I found out that I liked driving the car that way! Safe, but on it and agressive all the time. I really started to enjoy the vette even more this way!
Now the the rings are done, oil consumption is about 2500 to 3000/qt which is fine with me, and I learned now to wail on my vette and really like it!
I am blessed to have a mile straight away close road in my town. I blast off a 117 mph quarter mile every day !
Old 04-21-2003, 10:18 PM
cortex
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: I am finishing my oil consumption test and should be getting some stuff replaced (CJS)

Is this just a warranty item? I'm out of warranty, so it's probably not covered, even if the test proves I'm burning lots o' earl?

Assuming that is correct, how much is a re-ring gonna set me back. I'm buring a quart every 1,300 miles or so.

Thanks. :cheers:
Old 04-21-2003, 10:48 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,477 Likes on 14,070 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

They have to remove the heads and intake from the car and also get in from below to raise the pistons high enough to change the rings. Don't really have to mess with the cam.

The thing about the dealer is that usually they won't replace something that could possibly void the warranty, even if you buy it. I asked when they did my ring job and they simply stated they did not want to be liable for the warranty issues.

Some dealers may do limited replacements - you just have to check and see. If I could get them to replace things, I would get them to do a Z06 intake (provided you don't already have one on the car) and perhaps a new set of heads/cam. Shouldn't cost that much since they have to tear it down anyway (except for the cam). Good luck.
Old 04-22-2003, 01:14 PM
0Vette Stripes
Former Vendor

Default Re: I am finishing my oil consumption test and should be getting some stuff replaced (CJS)

When I was going through the GM/Dealer oil consumption test, I drove the **** out of the car! I revved it to 3000rpm minimum on every shift and also drove in 5th on the freeway at 75mph.
Two things happened. The consumption went from 1400 miles/qt to 1000 miles/qt.
Second thing was I found out that I liked driving the car that way! Safe, but on it and agressive all the time. I really started to enjoy the vette even more this way!
Now the the rings are done, oil consumption is about 2500 to 3000/qt which is fine with me, and I learned now to wail on my vette and really like it!
I am blessed to have a mile straight away close road in my town. I blast off a 117 mph quarter mile every day !
I got the extended warranty with 200$ deductable so I gotta test it before actually bring it in since if my car fails, I gotta pay for all the oil change and oil consumption doc. stuff :mad.
Man, yesterday, I was like a kid first time on a vette, have always tried to keep my RPM above 3000 rpm :D even when on the hwy. Now, after reading yours, I will just have to do above 75 mph on 5th gear on the hwy.
Man, I may need a good radar detector when doing this test :D

[Modified by mike76002, 6:48 PM 4/22/2003]
Old 04-22-2003, 01:45 PM
SDVette
Safety Car

Received 1,295 Likes on 560 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (stock)
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

A little off-topic, but somewhat relevant:

Everyone is always raving about how much better BMW service is, right?

My sister has a 2002 BMW X5 that is burning a quart every 750 miles. Both tail pipes are black with soot. She took it to the dealer and they said "Sorry - unless it burns a quart every 500 miles, we can't touch it", and even showed her a xerox'd document from the Fatherland stating the corporate policy.

It's good that GM is stepping up and taking care of this problem - I for one, applaud them for it.
Old 04-22-2003, 07:02 PM
0Vette Stripes
Former Vendor

Default Re: I am finishing my oil consumption test and should be getting some stuff replaced (SDVette)

Hey y'all,
Forgot to ask this question. How do y'all know it burned 1 qt?
Checking the dip stick?
Old 04-22-2003, 09:15 PM
0-60N4
Instructor

Hey y'all,
Forgot to ask this question. How do y'all know it burned 1 qt?
Checking the dip stick?
That's all they did to me. Checked the dip stick. 1 qt every 600 miles, and I got new rings and they installed my underdrive pulley and short throw shifter for me for free.
Old 04-25-2003, 06:29 PM
0Vette Stripes
Former Vendor

Another question :D
How do you know 1 qt from the dip stick?
Got below the whole X crossed section?

Get notified of new replies

To I am finishing my oil consumption test and should be getting some stuff replaced

Quick Reply: I am finishing my oil consumption test and should be getting some stuff replaced