C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How about 1. Tech - OEM & non-performance, 2. Tech - Performance??

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2003, 02:40 PM
Troy Roberts
CF Co-Founder
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise In I Veteran
Cruise In II Veteran
Cruise In III Veteran
Cruise In IV Veteran
Cruise In V Veteran
Cruise In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

Default How about 1. Tech - OEM & non-performance, 2. Tech - Performance??

I'm suggesting these two categories based on the feedback from the other thread on the subject. At first I was thinking that we should break it down into more sub-groups but you've convinced me otherwise.

I want to keep it simple while at the same time allowing the performance based topics to thrive. I think that we have had fewer of the hardcore performance threads over the last year because they get lost in the OEM and generic tech questions. Seperating the OEM type questions into another section should help quite a bit.

The other C5 sections would stay the same. I find the FI/Nitrous and Scan/Tune sections to be very helpful as distinct sections. Scan/Tune gets about 18 posts per day since it was formed and FI has averaged 55 posts per day since it was opened. That makes them both pretty useful resources of concentrated knowledge. It makes sense to me to leave them as they are.

Here is the proposal based on the feedback:

Split the C5 Tech section into these two categories to keep it simple:

Tech - OEM & Non-Performance
Tech - Performance

Existing sections:

Tech - Scan & Tune
Tech - FI & Nitrous
Z06
General
For Sale
Parts

I know some won't want the sections split at all, but it makes a lot of sense to me. If we don't do something along these lines we will slowly lose a place where you can discuss serious tech subjects in depth.

We can make these changes easily. We are also looking at a few more things to help in the future. One of the big ones is the ability to move a thread to another section and leave a pointer behind to find the new location. This is a longer term feature but it will help a lot when it is available.

Feedback?
Old 03-14-2003, 02:43 PM
Troy Roberts
CF Co-Founder
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise In I Veteran
Cruise In II Veteran
Cruise In III Veteran
Cruise In IV Veteran
Cruise In V Veteran
Cruise In VII Veteran

Default Re: How about 1. Tech - OEM & non-performance, 2. Tech - Performance?? (Troy Roberts)

We will need to get feedback on the cutoff lines as to where topics should go. Some will always be borderline, but we need to setup some guidelines to make it as clear as possible.
Old 03-14-2003, 03:06 PM
EuG
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: How about 1. Tech - OEM & non-performance, 2. Tech - Performance?? (Troy Roberts)

Tech - Performance
I think this makes the most sense!!!! :hurray:
There’re no easy way to distinguish “Hard-core” from “non-hard core” tech :nonod: and a lot of topics from either would often be relevant for a common interest
However, Performance vs.Non-performance is perfect IMO. :thumbs:
If somebody is interested in info on how to make his car faster Non-performance tech topics like “How to install a shifter” etc totally don’t apply.
Old 03-14-2003, 05:20 PM
Jim 47
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Troy:

Whatever definations or guide lines you use, there will always be some confussion about which section to use. Even the technical/general definations are misused by some. The Titles suggested by Mike are good ones, however, to me they are too specific, and you could start adding even more "Technical" categories such as Aerodynamics and Electornics and possibly more.

The categories of OEM-nonperformance and Performance should be easily identified and used by Forum Members. :cool:
Old 03-14-2003, 07:24 PM
johnC5
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tech - Performance
Simple is good.

Old 03-14-2003, 07:44 PM
99Z51R
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Contributor '04

Default Re: How about 1. Tech - OEM & non-performance, 2. Tech - Performance?? (johnC5)

Tech - Performance

Simple is good.
:iagree: :iagree:
Old 03-14-2003, 09:38 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Default Re: How about 1. Tech - OEM & non-performance, 2. Tech - Performance?? (99Z51R)

TROY:

Sounds like a great solution and game plan. Thanks for keeping an open mind to this from when i first posted about it about 5 weeks ago! :cheers:

MTI 427 Roadster
Old 03-14-2003, 09:43 PM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Sounds good and easy to me. Here are some things your guidelines should address where OEM and performance blur. Any one putting on aftermarket or worked heads would know to post in performance, but someone with a 97 who is adding Z06 (i.e. OEM) heads, cam, suspension might be confused where to post questions, I think they should go to the performance side. But some thing less complicated like Z06 rear brake ducts on a 97 goes to the OEM side. Swapping an out your LS1 for a 6 might all be OEM but because it is complicated that should go to the performance side.

Now the PCV mod is all aftermarket, but it is very simple and doesn't add HP so it goes in the non-performance, and freaking Zaino threads stay in the Car Care side :yesnod:

Hope that helps.
Old 03-14-2003, 10:00 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Troy - you know how I feel. There are already too many C5 sections. I'm not sure what is broke here. You say that there have been less hard core performance threads.

I think two reasons. One, the C5 is becoming pretty mature. Two, everytime there is the least disagreement on a thread, ya'll shut it down because you decide there is "nothing else to add to this thread". I've seen that many times.

It's your forum, you can do what you want. But it seems to me that there were an awful lot of posts on your other questionaire that said they did not want to add more sections (even though you told everyone not to do that).

I for one am going to miss an awful lot of useful information and knowledge because I don't want to have to go into 6 or 7 sections. All that just because a few guys get irritated if they have to look at some thread titles that they don't want to see.
Old 03-14-2003, 10:18 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,394 Likes on 747 Posts

Troy,

I patiently waited to give you my opinion on the first poll because you said you specifically didn't want yes/no answers.

Personally, I don't see how the C5 Tech section is going to benefit from splitting it again. Maybe the performance topics get buried, but if I spend my time in the OEM section to maintain my Vette I'll miss out on new things that pop up in the performance section.

Also, I guess I just don't see what problem you're trying to fix. I think the OEM section will just turn into a "C5 General, Part Deux" section. C5 General already has several instances of OEM type tech questions ("what do you think of the non pop-up headlights?").

Hey, it's your forum; we don't pay a dime. I'm not going to go away if a split happens; but I just don't think it'll truly improve your product.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 03-14-2003, 11:46 PM
Dave00C5
Le Mans Master

I like the idea of OEM versus a pure aftermarket performance Tech section. The idea of moderators moving inappropriate posts to the other section if misposted and leaving a forwarding arrow would be a great improvement. :cheers: :thumbs:
Old 03-15-2003, 01:47 PM
BQuicksilver
Safety Car

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Re: How about 1. Tech - OEM & non-performance, 2. Tech - Performance?? (Dave00C5)

Nice work. :cool: It's simple, so it doesn't separate us too much and "water-down" the forum, but yet it leaves minimal grey grey area as to where you should post. I think it'll work quite well.

Having said that, I think one more division IS necessary. The audio/electronics in the general section really should be divided by model, as the wiring between generations is extremely heterogenous. This would also get the audio/electronics section more traffic if it was within the C3-C4-C5 areas.
Old 03-15-2003, 03:43 PM
Bill Reid
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds good :yesnod:

:cheers:
Old 03-15-2003, 05:46 PM
Allgonoshow
Racer

I like the OEM& NON-Performance and Performance split. Easy to understand. I think that a lot of post get burried, big head and valve questions in between questions about squeaky brakes and dash lights not working makes it harder to find what you are looking for. Not that either ? is more important then the other, but they are seperate types of issues.

Bill
Old 03-15-2003, 10:19 PM
cgh1
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Works for me.
Thanks for maiking our lives easier while keeping it simple!
Old 03-16-2003, 09:28 AM
vstella
Le Mans Master

Default Re: How about 1. Tech - OEM & non-performance, 2. Tech - Performance?? (99Z51R)

Tech - Performance

Simple is good.

:iagree: :iagree:
:iagree: Me too! Keep it simple stupid:D
Old 03-16-2003, 10:20 AM
Ross78
Racer

Default Re: How about 1. Tech - OEM & non-performance, 2. Tech - Performance?? (vstella)

I like Troy's proposal:

Tech - Performance

Get notified of new replies

To How about 1. Tech - OEM & non-performance, 2. Tech - Performance??

Old 03-16-2003, 12:13 PM
Tracy
Melting Slicks

Received 407 Likes on 140 Posts

Default Re: How about 1. Tech - OEM & non-performance, 2. Tech - Performance?? (Ross78)

Troy--

I think your proposal is good, and the break point between Perf and OEM/Non-perf should be obvious, but...........

......then I realized you intend to keep General. Now, I'm concerned about about the blur between OEM and General, as VetteDrmr mentioned in his post, above.

So, should the OEM title be more specific, such as "Tech - non performance repair and maintenance" to further define the section? And maybe "General" needs a word or two to define that content, too.

Otherwise, your plan is a good one, as it's simple, adds only one new section, and basically keeps the rest of the C5 sections as they are.
Old 03-16-2003, 05:44 PM
Troy Roberts
CF Co-Founder
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise In I Veteran
Cruise In II Veteran
Cruise In III Veteran
Cruise In IV Veteran
Cruise In V Veteran
Cruise In VII Veteran

Default Re: How about 1. Tech - OEM & non-performance, 2. Tech - Performance?? (Tracy)

You're right. We need to come up with a good definition for the General section. I think it makes sense to have it for topics like BSMs or No BSMs ;). There are going to be C5 related discussions that don't fit into a tech category. We just need to make sure we draw a line between General and OEM.
Old 03-16-2003, 07:25 PM
gojo
Melting Slicks

Good deal. Thanks :party:

Quick Reply: How about 1. Tech - OEM & non-performance, 2. Tech - Performance??