C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone else think C5's shift linkage stinks ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2003, 09:50 PM
Oldvetter
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Anyone else think C5's shift linkage stinks ?

It has been 30 years between my 2 Vettes, but my C2 (1964 375 HP Vert with M22 Rock Crusher Transmission) shifted way better than my C5 MN6. I never missed a shift ! (I had shortened linkage and T-Handle) The 2nd to 3rd shift on C5 is tricky, especially when shifting fast. It also feels very notchy.

Realize C5 linkage is longer, realize benefits (more room, better weight distribution). Just don't try to shift fast.

Anyone agree with me?
Old 03-03-2003, 09:52 PM
cortex
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Anyone else think C5's shift linkage stinks ? (Oldvetter)

I missed third several times until I bought an aftermarket shifter. Worth every cent. :thumbs:
Old 03-03-2003, 09:55 PM
jmX
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shifts just fine for me. I have a kirban and can't imagine missing 3rd is even a possibility.
Old 03-03-2003, 09:56 PM
66ImpalaLT1
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

I agree, but an aftermarket shifter helps.

Eric
Old 03-03-2003, 10:05 PM
Cajun99
Le Mans Master

:iagree: That's why I took my stock shifter out and replaced it with a B&M Ripper. Straight bolt-in and no adjustment springs to fool with. It's firm but you don't need to be a weight lifter to handle it. It's self centering and I haven't missed a shift since installing it. 2cd to 3rd is a snap.

You also have Hurst, Kerban, Breathless and probably a few others to choose from. Each has their merits and supporters. No matter which you use it WILL be better than the lame stock unit. :cheers:
Old 03-03-2003, 10:17 PM
Richin Chicago
Safety Car

It has been 30 years between my 2 Vettes, but my C2 (1964 375 HP Vert with M22 Rock Crusher Transmission) shifted way better than my C5 MN6. I never missed a shift ! (I had shortened linkage and T-Handle) The 2nd to 3rd shift on C5 is tricky, especially when shifting fast. It also feels very notchy.

Realize C5 linkage is longer, realize benefits (more room, better weight distribution). Just don't try to shift fast.

Anyone agree with me?

It's pretty bad, but I still haven't changed from stock. I had an SS Camaro with the Hurst before and it caused me to miss a fair amount of shifts, in the C5, until I got used to it. But, strangely, for track use, I would rather have the longer shift so I know, for sure, what I am doing. You really don't have to be quick on a road course but you do want to be sure.

[Modified by Richin Chicago, 9:18 PM 3/3/2003]
Old 03-03-2003, 10:34 PM
Oldvetter
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Re: Anyone else think C5's shift linkage stinks ? (Richin Chicago)

Good point.

I'm not sure I want to shorten shifter and increase force. Normally I don't shift fast, and my racing days are behind me. Plus i heard that some after market shifters are noisey, I don't need that !
Old 03-03-2003, 11:32 PM
scool93535
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Anyone else think C5's shift linkage stinks ? (Richin Chicago)

But, strangely, for track use, I would rather have the longer shift so I know, for sure, what I am doing. You really don't have to be quick on a road course but you do want to be sure.
I've got the B & M, 3 -> 4 is the only shift I've missed since installing it. I'm convinced it's not the shifter or linkage, the syncro on 4th doesn't like going in at 100+ MPH. :cry

I've had it out on the big track at Willow Springs with the stock shifter. I can't wait to try it with the short positive throws of the B & M. I think it will make the experience even better.

:cheers:

Old 03-03-2003, 11:56 PM
blu00rdstr
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Anyone else think C5's shift linkage stinks ?

Yes the stock shifter does (suck). It was more than just the shifter for me, I bled the clutch and it was much, much better. For about six months.

When it was time to replace my C5/M6, I thought a long time before buying a C5/A4, but I really didn't enjoy my shifter experience. I've had a few Porsches before, and driven a few BMWs, and I expected a newer car would shift at least as well.

If I thought about enough, I probably could've figured out how to make it shift acceptably. New synchros, new clutch, new hydraulics, new shifter. That would probably do it.

I miss my M6. I keep putting my hand on the A4 shifter. The exhaust isn't as sporty, when I can't control the shifting. But at least I know the most consistent 1/4's are from A4s, there's less breakage with them, and my GF likes this car better.
Old 03-04-2003, 01:46 AM
aaaaa
Burning Brakes

I've had the same experience-missing 3rd. I just put a Hurst in and it's a lot better. I think my basic problem was, like you , I'm used to a four speed so the pattern is different. On the m6 3rd is straight forward while with the four speed you had to move forward and to the right. I'm gettin used to it-maybe you will too.
Old 03-04-2003, 07:23 AM
AC54ME
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9 Veteran
CI-VI Car Show Winner
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

quote:
I've had the same experience-missing 3rd. I just put a Hurst in and it's a lot better.

:iagree:
Old 03-04-2003, 09:12 AM
Mike Campbell
Le Mans Master

Received 1,068 Likes on 592 Posts

Default Re: Anyone else think C5's shift linkage stinks ? (AC54ME)

I never liked the stock setup so when I had the chance I got the Kirban. But, even with that you can miss a shift. It's a little harder to do, but, it can still happen.. :smash:
Old 03-04-2003, 09:18 AM
George Cooper
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Anyone else think C5's shift linkage stinks ? (Mike Campbell)

With the Kirban, hitting third is no problem for me - just straight up, since it wants to go there anyhow via self-centering. However, getting 5th is a problem with anything other than a very deliberate, slow shift, at least for me - any suggestions on that one?
Old 03-04-2003, 09:38 AM
wwashing
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Anyone else think C5's shift linkage stinks ? (George Cooper)

Technique you all! I can understand not liking the feel. But if you really learn (I'm talking muscle memory) the gates, you won't miss shifts. The gates are always in the same place. If you learn the stroke from 2nd to 3rd you will hit it every time. If there are no mechanical problems and a shift is missed, then the driver made the mistake. :cheers:
Old 03-04-2003, 09:40 AM
Jim 47
Melting Slicks

I guess I distinguish between the linkage and he shifter. I think the linkage is fine, but the shifter is a disgrace to have in a Corvette. Why GM wants to put a crappy shifter into Corvettes doesn't make good sense. It is a constant reminder that this Car isn't as good as it should be. What do you touch with your hands in the car more than the Shifter (yeh the steering wheel)? So wouldn't it be smart to install Quality looking and Quality feeling parts on every thing that you are constantly touching? If I were making those decissions, I'd make sure that the things that a driver will see, touch and hear would SHOUT "Quality". :yesnod:
Old 03-04-2003, 10:54 AM
99C5JA1
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Anyone else think C5's shift linkage stinks ? (Jim 47)

Don't let the noise issues scare you away. An aftermarket shifter will make a world of difference. If you are really on the fence find someone in your area with the shifter you want and give it a whirl. I have a B&M Ripper with Royal Purple fluid in the tranny and think this combo works great.
Old 03-04-2003, 08:17 PM
speedyc5
Racer

Default Re: Anyone else think C5's shift linkage stinks ? (99C5JA1)

Don't let the noise issues scare you away. An aftermarket shifter will make a world of difference. If you are really on the fence find someone in your area with the shifter you want and give it a whirl. I have a B&M Ripper with Royal Purple fluid in the tranny and think this combo works great.
I agree 100%. With the B&M Ripper the 2 to 3 shift is just ram it straight forward. Works perfect everytime. As far as the noise--- no real difference!!

:seeya :seeya :seeya :seeya :seeya
Old 03-05-2003, 02:03 PM
SHiNoBi LT4
Instructor

Default Re: Anyone else think C5's shift linkage stinks ? (speedyc5)

an aftermarket shifter almost makes it feel like youre driving a different car. really. :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone else think C5's shift linkage stinks ?

Quick Reply: Anyone else think C5's shift linkage stinks ?