C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the best way to get 500Hp and high Torque?????

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2003, 12:43 PM
extremecorvette
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default What's the best way to get 500Hp and high Torque?????

Is it possable to get a streetable 500 RWHP and torque that would be over 500 out of a stock 346 block with out supercharging, turbos, NOS. The only thing stock on the block has to be the bare block it self everything else can be changed. It can't be bored or made into a 383 stroker. with the Holley Lunati #EA035-382 LS1 Stroker Kit, I can get it for 3500 and they say A mild street port on the heads, mild cam and this stroker kit made over 528hp at the motor on a daily driven street vehicle, using pump 91 octane gasoline. What about using heads, cam, intake, upping th fuel CR, exhaust, headers. and programing? I know the LS1 CR is 10.2:1 and the LS6 is 10.5:1 what about going up to 11:1 would it work on 93 octane.

Help?? Hasn't anyone tried to do this?
:rant:

[Modified by extremecorvette, 10:06 PM 2/18/2003]
Old 02-17-2003, 01:06 PM
vstella
Le Mans Master

Default Re: What's the best way to get 500Hp and high Torque????? (Buckmaster)

Stroke it. But you are increasing cubes then. I have never seen a 346ci get 500.......are you talking rwhp or crank? Crank is possible. ...Buckmaster

:iagree: My plans exactly!:D I've sent my car to Mike Norris Motorsports in Orlando,Fl for a 382 stroker with a nasty cam and some additional H.D Performance parts.:yesnod:....mind you, even if you achieve 500 crank H.P without a Stroker...you will need to build up the driveline as well. The stock driveline will NOT handle that kind of power..Just my .02:D
Old 02-17-2003, 01:09 PM
Bytes U
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Re: What's the best way to get 500Hp and high Torque????? (extremecorvette)

...stock 346CID C5 motor and built it up to 500hp and high torque for least amout of money.
Supercharger :yesnod: but power is never cheap. :sad:
Old 02-17-2003, 01:14 PM
R6_C5_CLS55
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: What's the best way to get 500Hp and high Torque????? (extremecorvette)

You can get 500+ RWHP (~600 at the crank) on a stock 346 CuI LS-1 motor with a supercharger, LT headers, and custom dyno tuning...all for under $10K.
Old 02-17-2003, 03:59 PM
extremecorvette
Drifting

I should have also said Supercharging also. If I had to do Supercharger or Turbo I would go with the Turbo to get the torque that I want. But the question is can I get 500 hp out of a stock block. When I mean stock block, the only thing that has to be stock on is the bare block. It can't be bored or made into a 383 stroker. The Holley Lunati #EA035-382 LS1 Stroker Kit New
I can get for 3500 and they say A mild street port on the heads, mild cam and this stroker kit made over 528hp on a daily driven street vehicle, using pump 91 octane gasoline. But can I get 500RWHP out of a motor with out using turbos, supercharger, or stroking the motor. Also I would like to have a some what sooth ideal. Help?? Hasn't anyone tried to do this?
Old 02-17-2003, 04:04 PM
Dave00C5
Le Mans Master

Don't forget NOS, this would get you there for less than 1k!! :cheers: :thumbs:
Old 02-17-2003, 07:21 PM
art91
Drifting

But can I get 500RWHP out of a motor with out using turbos, supercharger, or stroking the motor. Also I would like to have a some what sooth ideal. Help?? Hasn't anyone tried to do this?
If you replaced all the internals with forged pieces, you could run enough nitrous to hit the 500 mark, but that is not "motor only", so it wouldn't count in your scenario.

If it could be done with heads/cam and stock cubes , it would not be very streetable. The heads would have to flow a whole lot more air, and the cam profile would be very aggressive. You would not have a smooth idle. Low end torque would be sacrificed due to the power band being moved up the RPM band.

The only way to achieve the streetable power you are looking for is stroker, turbo, or supercharger.
Old 02-17-2003, 07:45 PM
flynbludream
Drifting

I should have also said Supercharging also. If I had to do Supercharger or Turbo I would go with the Turbo to get the torque that I want. But the question is can I get 500 hp out of a stock block. When I mean stock block, the only thing that has to be stock on is the bare block. It can't be bored or made into a 383 stroker. The Holley Lunati #EA035-382 LS1 Stroker Kit New
I can get for 3500 and they say A mild street port on the heads, mild cam and this stroker kit made over 528hp on a daily driven street vehicle, using pump 91 octane gasoline. But can I get 500RWHP out of a motor with out using turbos, supercharger, or stroking the motor. Also I would like to have a some what sooth ideal. Help?? Hasn't anyone tried to do this?
So far people are only getting 500+ rwhp out of stroker or FI setups. If you are really set on this power level out of a stock cubed motor you might want to wait for LG motorsports. They are working on a solid roller 346 cid motor and since their heads/cam package is running around 46x rwhp, I am sure their solid roller engine will be right at the 500 rwhp level you are trying to get. You might want to give them a call.
Old 02-17-2003, 08:23 PM
MiamiDave
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: What's the best way to get 500Hp and high Torque????? (flynbludream)

I just posted this a while back (425 RWHP-steetable, etc.-which is 500 flywheel) , and people made it sound like itwas easy... :banghead:
Old 02-17-2003, 09:56 PM
Bink
Safety Car

Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: What's the best way to get 500Hp and high Torque????? (flynbludream)

So far people are only getting 500+ rwhp out of stroker or FI setups. If you are really set on this power level out of a stock cubed motor you might want to wait for LG motorsports. They are working on a solid roller 346 cid motor and since their heads/cam package is running around 46x rwhp, I am sure their solid roller engine will be right at the 500 rwhp level you are trying to get. You might want to give them a call.
:iagree: BUT I don't think it will have a "smooth" idle. :cheers:
Old 02-17-2003, 10:36 PM
hogurt
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Re: What's the best way to get 500Hp and high Torque????? (binksZ06)

Are you talking about 500rwhp or 500 at the crank? I don't think you have answered that question? If you did, I am sorry I missed it.

Let's assume that you are talking 500 at the crank (like the Viper). It's not that difficult. There are several head and cam packages that will put you right there. A supercharger with approximately 7# of boost will put you right there. As you have already discussed you can bore or stroke the engine (this will be the most costly).

By the way, I am not sure that your assumption is correct about the torque? Pretty much every blown car I have seen puts out a similar torque and HP number. So that if you put out 450rwhp, you will also be around 450 lb tq. What kind of torque are you looking for? :cheers:
Old 02-17-2003, 11:31 PM
flynbludream
Drifting

Default Re: What's the best way to get 500Hp and high Torque????? (binksZ06)

:iagree: BUT I don't think it will have a "smooth" idle. :cheers:
:bb Oh that's what that last sentence meant. I was wondering what sooth ideal was.

Yup crank and rwhp are two different things. I thought it was rwhp he wanted which will be hard to do on 346 cubes. If you want a good idle, you probably need to reconsider not going with FI.

[Modified by flynbludream, 10:34 PM 2/17/2003]
Old 02-18-2003, 12:59 AM
Quick Brick
Burning Brakes

We had a Speedvision car stock cubes and 485rwhp. I would not consider it streetable. The ASA cam will make 450-475rwhp on a street cars but is not a good cold weather or daily driver cam. The power band is very high and does not like to cruise at low RPM's. The 224 single pattern cam is faster light to light in the city due to power under the curve and usable power IMO. All motor 500rwhp would be VERY nasty motor. I would S/C or turbo and have a lot more drivability :yesnod:

Get notified of new replies

To What's the best way to get 500Hp and high Torque?????

Quick Reply: What's the best way to get 500Hp and high Torque?????