C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What happens if you accidentally pour in Coolant instead of Oil into motor?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2003, 01:37 PM
dbvettez06
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: What happens if you accidentally pour in Coolant instead of Oil into motor? (Hirohawa)

:sad: Go to jail do not pass go do not collect 200$ And change it immediatelly..
Old 02-13-2003, 02:31 PM
WALLstAL
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '05

Default Re: What happens if you accidentally pour in Coolant instead of Oil into motor? (dbvettez06)

I knew a girl that once put oil in the radiator! :yesnod: :yesnod: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 02-13-2003, 03:27 PM
Crushinator
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 77 Posts

Default Re: What happens if you accidentally pour in Coolant instead of Oil into motor? (wallstAL)

:skep: Are you asking because you did this? Or just wondering what would happen? I wouldn't even start the car. Drain it out and change the oil. But if you did do this, I wouldn't recommend you changing the oil yourself. Have someone who knows what they're doing change it.
Old 02-13-2003, 03:59 PM
TLewis4095
Le Mans Master

Default Re: What happens if you accidentally pour in Coolant instead of Oil into motor? (QuickSilver97)

Since he hasn't responded I think he may have done this (I can't in my wildest imagination guess how this could happen...) and is pretty embarresed right now. I just hope he new not to start it! :cheers:
Old 02-13-2003, 04:00 PM
MY Vette
Instructor

Default Re: What happens if you accidentally pour in Coolant instead of Oil into motor? (Hirohawa)

You know...I have this friend you know that.....(Just kidding!)
:lolg: :lolg: :lolg:
Old 02-13-2003, 04:11 PM
Hirohawa
Le Mans Master

Received 248 Likes on 158 Posts

I'm not saying that I did this. But if someone HYPOTHETICALY came home late at nightn and had to top off their oil and forgot about a bottle of premixed coolant 60/40 labeled in a Mobil 1 oil container that was too dark to see, it is possible.

And if this hypothetical car was driven the next morning less than a mile and had it's oil drained then filled up with a purifying additive and then drained again everything should be okay right?

[Modified by Hirohawa, 9:12 PM 2/13/2003]
Old 02-13-2003, 04:14 PM
SFVetteman
Drifting

oh my.
Old 02-13-2003, 04:59 PM
jrz01
Intermediate

[QUOTE]And if this hypothetical car was driven the next morning less than a mile and had it's oil drained then filled up with a purifying additive and then drained again everything should be okay right? QUOTE]

Hypothetically, probably not, but don't dwell on it. All the hypothetical damage has been done, and hypothetically, the problem has been corrected. However, I would drain the hypothetical oil again. Of course, I don't see how, or more appropriately why, anyone would put hypothetical anti-freeze into a Mobil 1 container.
Old 02-13-2003, 05:14 PM
Quick Brick
Burning Brakes

Default Re: What happens if you accidentally pour in Coolant instead of Oil into motor? (jrz01)

I ran a motor with 2 gallons of water and 5qts of M1 back in the day. It mixes great :lolg: I replaced the intake gaskets and the motor ran great. My advice would be to let it sit so the water settles to the bottom then drain, change filter and refill. Let the motor run for a while and it will steam out the water when the oil gets nice and hot. :seeya
Old 02-13-2003, 05:17 PM
6SPD98
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18- '19

Hypothetically, I think you'll be alright if you didn't drive it very far. I'm sure there are people out there who had a head gasket leak and drove their car home before they knew they even had a leak. Hypothetically, I haven't done this, but, I know someone who put anti-freeze in their windshied washer. Try looking out that windshield. Come on, I think we have all done something we are not proud of. Like that wife some of you guys married.
:flag :steering: :flag
Old 02-13-2003, 05:18 PM
C8R2NO1
Burning Brakes

No problem. You simply have to hand the car over to someone who would never do such a thing. I know I'd never do such a thing so just hand the car over and no one will get hurt.
Old 02-13-2003, 07:37 PM
ronnie948
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Re: What happens if you accidentally pour in Coolant instead of Oil into motor? (C8R2NO1)

Drain it and put in new oil & a new filter. :skep: :rofl: :rolleyes: :crazy: :sad: :nonod: :nono: :yawn:
Old 02-13-2003, 07:37 PM
TLewis4095
Le Mans Master

I'm not saying that I did this. But if someone HYPOTHETICALY came home late at nightn and had to top off their oil and forgot about a bottle of premixed coolant 60/40 labeled in a Mobil 1 oil container that was too dark to see, it is possible.

And if this hypothetical car was driven the next morning less than a mile and had it's oil drained then filled up with a purifying additive and then drained again everything should be okay right?

[Modified by Hirohawa, 9:12 PM 2/13/2003]
Well worded Hirohawa! That would be a possibile scenario that even I would buy!! ;) Hope all turns out well!! :thumbs:
Old 02-13-2003, 08:22 PM
Road_runner
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Default Re: What happens if you accidentally pour in Coolant instead of Oil into motor? (TLewis4095)

HYPOTHETICALY

:confused:

If you say so... :skep:
Old 02-13-2003, 09:06 PM
Racer1x
Pro

I think I would change the oil and filter and never work on my vehicle again. :lol: :eek: :smash:
Old 02-13-2003, 09:31 PM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

1. have your car towed to a shop and let them change it.

2. there is a C5s For Sale/Wanted section that you should probably check out

3. If you keep it, never ever open the hood of your car again without supervision.
Old 02-13-2003, 11:58 PM
Hirohawa
Le Mans Master

Received 248 Likes on 158 Posts

Default Re: What happens if you accidentally pour in Coolant instead of Oil into motor? (Racer1x)

Harsh!

It was only two hypothetical ounces of the coolant not a whole quart.

Thanks for the advice.

This board is great!

Get notified of new replies

To What happens if you accidentally pour in Coolant instead of Oil into motor?

Old 02-14-2003, 12:12 AM
intel55
Le Mans Master

Default Re: What happens if you accidentally pour in Coolant instead of Oil into motor? (Lancer033)

1. have your car towed to a shop and let them change it.

2. there is a C5s For Sale/Wanted section that you should probably check out

3. If you keep it, never ever open the hood of your car again without supervision.

:leaving:
Old 02-14-2003, 12:49 AM
MilYellow02
Team Owner

St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Get well soon
Old 02-14-2003, 08:16 AM
Cajun99
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BIG, BIG negative!!! Do NOT turn the motor over at all. Due to the large difference in specific gravities these to liquids will stay separated for a short period and that is the time to drain your oil/water mix. The very moment you crank the engine you will cause emulsification or mixing of the two and you will spread the antifreezes additives throughout your motor and that is NOT good for your bearings and friction bearing surfaces plus your oil filter WILL clog very, very quickly. Cleaning the motor of all that nasty crud will be difficult at best and possibly require pulling it for a tear down. Emulsified oil will take on a tannish appearance due to it's PIBSA (polyisobutylsuccinicanhydride) based additive content. This emulsion is real nasty stuff for your motor.

Don't start the car. The coolant will go to the bottom of pan. Drain oil and refill with regular oil to flush. Start car and let warm up. Drain oil again and check for coolant in bottom of drain pan. Repeat if needed. Then change filter and refill with Mobil 1. No harm if you didn't run the motor with it in.
:iagree: but would also highly suggest that the oil filter be changed with EACH oil change cycle and examined. The oil filter is your best tool to catch/collect any remaining emulsified water/oil droplets. Personally, I would take the filter off each time and drain it to a pan and look for any "tannish" discoloration or clumps. I would also take a hacksaw or similar tool and cut the filter open and check the interior baffles for the same material. You'll know when it's clean.

Just my .02 ;)
ps...I'm a production supervisor for the company that manufactures the vast majority of the oil additives (bulk) that go into most major engine oil suppliers. I've seen a LOT of crazy stuff that happens when additives, in oil, get mixed with water bearing fluids in rotating machinery. It ain't pretty, it's hard to clean and there ain't no way in H-LL I would start my motor if anti-freeze...even an ounce or two were added. Drain and clean ASAP after it happens.

But hey, it's YOUR motor...do as you please. :lol: :lol: :flag

Quick Reply: What happens if you accidentally pour in Coolant instead of Oil into motor?