C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IS THIS TRUE OR NOT???

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2003, 04:50 PM
BLOWN IN NC
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: IS THIS TRUE OR NOT??? (QuickSilver97)

I remember racetronix chiming in and recommending that all FI cars stay over half tank because it created more reserve? A full tank helps weigh my tail end down so I can get a little traction! :smash:
Old 02-11-2003, 05:11 PM
A Z06 In CA
Instructor

Default Re: IS THIS TRUE OR NOT??? (BLOWN IN NC)

very very interesting, some people are laughing about it, while others are not as skeptical about this.

but to clear things up, i did not misunderstand. He specifically told me that adding MORE than 1/2 tank helps.

JBBlownC5: i tried to send you an email

Can anyone elaborate what he said in regards to "adding 5 more gallons"?????? Is this with a 1/2 tank????
Old 02-11-2003, 05:37 PM
cmacleod
Instructor

Default Re: IS THIS TRUE OR NOT??? (A Z06 In CA)

To answer this question I need to know is the tank half full or half empty. :lolg:

:skep:
Old 02-11-2003, 05:43 PM
6SPD98
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18- '19

I'll have to agree with Z06 Quinn, and SAXN8R that if the PCM picks up a bad octane reading, it will retard the timing.By adding at least 5 gallons of fuel it will reset the timing table for a more advanced timing :flag :steering: :flag
Old 02-11-2003, 06:02 PM
aaaa
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: IS THIS TRUE OR NOT??? (vette#one)

My car always feels faster after I wash it.
Old 02-11-2003, 06:19 PM
L76
Instructor

My old man once told me "chase the money trail and you'll fnd the answer." His wisdom surely applies here... if we want to know if GM DID establish a computer setting that would retime the curves when the tank is less than half full we need to ask why they would do it. What economic advantage is there for GM? Is there money to gain/save? E.g. - would the car get better gas mileage and/or avoid a gas guzzler tax? Would there be lower maintence/warranty repairs due to a leaner running car on bad gas? Where could GM make/save money by adding additional capabiltities to the car?

I am not sure what I believe at this stage... except that it isn't yet clear to me WHY GM would do this. Until this question can be answered I don't believe it. :skep: I could speculate :rolleyes: , but there's a forum already set up for the speculator crowd... the C6 forum. :D

Cheers,
L76

[Modified by L76, 6:21 PM 2/11/2003]
Old 02-11-2003, 06:42 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: IS THIS TRUE OR NOT??? (Barely Legal)

:bs
Old 02-11-2003, 07:36 PM
66ImpalaLT1
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: IS THIS TRUE OR NOT??? (John Shiels)

Usually I just set my low octane table to equal my high octane timing table before going to the track. :D

Eric
Old 02-11-2003, 07:55 PM
Godspeed
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Re: IS THIS TRUE OR NOT??? (66ImpalaLT1)

If I get any detonation, I will have to drain my gas and put some new gas in.
Or you could just drive conservatively until all the bad gas is gone.

As others have said there are (2) Spark Advance tables in the LSx PCM's - High Octane and Low Octane, with about a 4-6 degree difference in timing. After excessice knock retard is detected the PCM switches from the normal High Octane table to the Low Octane table. Once the car is filled up the PCM will assume you have better gas and switch back to High Octane. On the cars I tune I usually leave the Low Octane table untouched and adjust timing in the High Octane table unless otherwise requested by the customer. On a Supercharged car both tables need to be adjusted accordingly, because even the stock Low Octane Spark Advance can be too much for boost.

:chevy
Old 02-11-2003, 07:58 PM
wstory1
Race Director

Default Re: IS THIS TRUE OR NOT??? (Y2Kvert4me)

I find it difficult to believe.

They can't even make a tank sender unit that knows if it's full or empty, how on earth would it know when it's at half? :confused: :D

:cheers:
:lol: :lol:
Old 02-11-2003, 08:14 PM
Z06 Quin
Safety Car

Default Re: IS THIS TRUE OR NOT??? (Godspeed)

If I get any detonation, I will have to drain my gas and put some new gas in.

Or you could just drive conservatively until all the bad gas is gone.

As others have said there are (2) Spark Advance tables in the LSx PCM's - High Octane and Low Octane, with about a 4-6 degree difference in timing. After excessice knock retard is detected the PCM switches from the normal High Octane table to the Low Octane table. Once the car is filled up the PCM will assume you have better gas and switch back to High Octane. On the cars I tune I usually leave the Low Octane table untouched and adjust timing in the High Octane table unless otherwise requested by the customer. On a Supercharged car both tables need to be adjusted accordingly, because even the stock Low Octane Spark Advance can be too much for boost.

:chevy
Not the reputable tuner I was refering too, but a very reputable tuner none-the-less.....thanks GODSPEED for clearing that up! :cheers:
Old 02-12-2003, 02:42 AM
jbsblownc5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 897 Likes on 403 Posts
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '08

I heard from a reliable source that on the Corvettes, (possibly othe made GM cars) that when these cars get BELOW 1/2 a tank of gas that the timing curve is NOT as strong as when the car had over a 1/2 tank of gas.

I know he takes a beating on the forum for his slowness, But Steve Cole has told me that the timing table is reset by the addition of gas. The computer recognizes the movement of the gage with the addition of aprox 5 gallons. The car may not feel quite as strong as you get down to the end of the tank due to any knocking causing the comp to go to the low point of the timing curve.
As far as SCed cars, My experience is that I do hit the knock senser sometimes after gasing up and then getting on it as I get back on the freeway. My car is tuned pretty close to the line and seems to need to find its spot once I gas up. With SCed car that have high flow fuel pumps and boost-a-pumps, like mine, I find it very important to keep it over 1/4 tank of gas. If I don't and get on it, I seem to suck air.

Quick Reply: IS THIS TRUE OR NOT???