C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blackwing or Vararam

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2003, 01:00 PM
hogurt
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Re: Blackwing or Vararam (DsC5)

On a dyno, they will yield about the same. Some will claim that the Vararam actually works. . .when you are driving at speeds of 50+.

I think it's a selling ploy. . .but, I am sure that others will disagree.

If you want forced induction, you need to get a blower. My .02 cents.

:cheers:
Old 02-09-2003, 01:22 PM
GaryZ06
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Blackwing or Vararam (MYRagtop)

My BW works for me :D
Old 02-09-2003, 06:51 PM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Blackwing or Vararam (daesoph)

I just did the Blackwing on my 02, and it is a significant improvement over stock. Plus the car sounds way cooler. :smash: :smash:
:iagree: the Vararam might be worth a few more hp, but the blackwing is easier to install and much cheaper
Old 02-10-2003, 09:45 AM
davidmax
Drifting

Default Re: Blackwing or Vararam (Lancer033)

potential for VR but nless yiur traps are above 129 I dont see anymore hp the the BW until at higher speedsIts almost impossibe to gauge then against 1 another on a Dyno(not a fair comparison)If you are into serious racing at 100+ mph the VR may inrease HP but you cant get the effect unless you over 80-100 mph.The BW is a great piec well consructed and made to last,Servicing the filter is EZ on BW and it is clearly my unit of choice.The 300.00 differance can buy a few extra mods that will offset any if any lost power.
PSif yor race seriously is in theory when it kicks in and no and running 130+ through the traps I see no advantage in 500.00 for extra power aftrer 80-90 the bw is as googd as VR if not better performance.Good Luck,Dave S.Xtreme
We guuesstimate if the BW is good for 15 the VR maybe on a good day youll se 4 or 5 more hp.And the build quality is excellent on the BW.I see great claims on VR I see they really need a price chart 3 pages in a row 499 on1 399 on#2 and direct from VR it was 599(by memory)I hope it works great for all whe bought it,but I have run BW'son some customers cars and $$$$ was no object and it ran great.Good Luck,Dave S.
PS watch for standing water my Twinn Tubos are lower bottom reders than VR.They like to keep tje cold air very cold and it feeds directly into the intercoolers so staying low is a need even for squeezing the coldest air available.Good Luck and you will make more power with either ubit,Dave S.
Old 02-10-2003, 10:26 AM
RG in Dallas
Race Director

Elite Member
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Re: Blackwing or Vararam

Let me clear up any misinformation posted on price, as a dealer, it's easy to keep it straight. I can see confusion entering in from the guys not selling it.

The Vararam retails for $449, we sell it for $399 with FREE shipping.

We offer the BW at around $200 with Free shipping depending on year of car.

I calculate that at a 200 dollar difference. Maybe math is different out west.;)

The VR, while having a longer installation(few hours versus 30 mintues or so) will outperform the BW heads up. The BW is a great piece for folks that want something easier to install and don't mind giving up numbers at the track since they don't drag race anyway.

And, dynos don't tell the whole story as we've seen many, many times on the Forum here. Anyone who is not seeing 60-70-80-90-100 mph and much more in these cars maybe wasting their money on the power they bought...I say that knowing pretty much we all drive at high speed, safely, when the urge hits.:)

RG

[Modified by RG in Dallas, 12:11 PM 2/10/2003]
Old 02-10-2003, 10:46 AM
IMQUIK
Le Mans Master

Best bang for the buck is... KEEP YOUR MONEY! Do this.
I had the Blackwing on & it did no better than my FREE mod.
Dyno results ASAP on each set up.
2001 model lid.

This is a 98 model lid

[Modified by tshac, 10:47 AM 2/10/2003]
Old 02-10-2003, 11:07 AM
ae1m
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I havent seen any feedback here with regards to the twin flow intake systems vs. the Blackwing.

Anyone care to comment?
Old 02-10-2003, 11:09 AM
corvette Mark
Pro

Default Re: Blackwing or Vararam (RG in Dallas)

We have all read many postings on this topic yet I do not recall reading where anyone who has installed the Vararam on their car and did not like it and went back too the BW (I know someone will find some for me). Now don't get me wrong, I am not ******* the BW, I have no personal experience with it, and I'm sure its a great mod for the money. However, I was using a dual filter Volant, which worked well, no complaints, then I installed Vararam and I can sum it up quickly by saying WOW!!! Installation is a bit more challenging but it was worth it. Ask anyone who is USING this on their car and they will most likely tell you that they have no plans to try anything else and are moving on to their next mod. Good luck with your decision. :cheers:
Old 02-10-2003, 11:20 AM
RG in Dallas
Race Director

Elite Member
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Re: Blackwing or Vararam (lawless99)

Here is very recent article on the V/R's performance done by a VetteWeb Magazine:
http://www.vararam.com/vr1b_article01.html

Author: Bob Wallace

RG

[Modified by RG in Dallas, 10:22 AM 2/10/2003]
Old 02-10-2003, 12:50 PM
cmacleod
Instructor

Vararam. I love mine
Old 02-10-2003, 02:48 PM
Z06 Quin
Safety Car

Default Re: Blackwing or Vararam (lawless99)

We have all read many postings on this topic yet I do not recall reading where anyone who has installed the Vararam on their car and did not like it and went back too the BW (I know someone will find some for me).
I know of one person, but his reasoning was not due to performance, but the fact that the filter was letting a noticeable amount of dirt through. I've heard there is a new filter available though that is supposed to filter much better, but I haven't seen anyone running it yet.......

Quick Reply: Blackwing or Vararam