C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! C5 dies when car is warmed up.

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2024, 03:42 PM
Sickspeedbeatz
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help! C5 dies when car is warmed up.

Hey all. Wondering if i can get some help.

i replaced the battery on my c5 and its still stalling when the car is warmed up. It will not start back up until it has cooled down for a few hours. It will crank hard but wont turn over. I always get a “pull key wait 10 sec” when it starts, then goes away the whole day. It dies as if i pulled the key out perfectly shutting down with no warning. Again, ONLY when the car gets fully warm thats when it dies. Im hearing ignition switch/cam sensor/crank sensor or column lock or fuel pump. Thank guys 🙏🏼
Old 04-16-2024, 03:49 PM
rrwirsi
Melting Slicks

Received 1,217 Likes on 777 Posts

Appears you are not a DIY mechanic and electrical person with the knowledge and tools to sort out issues. If correct, suggest you find a shop that can do this for you. A good source for a shop is to contact your local Corvette club for recommendations.
The following 2 users liked this post by rrwirsi:
C5 Diag (04-17-2024), Sickspeedbeatz (04-16-2024)
Old 04-16-2024, 06:52 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 85 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Sickspeedbeatz

i replaced the battery on my c5 and its still stalling when the car is warmed up. It will not start back up until it has cooled down for a few hours. It will crank hard but wont turn over. I always get a “pull key wait 10 sec” when it starts, then goes away the whole day. It dies as if i pulled the key out perfectly shutting down with no warning. Again, ONLY when the car gets fully warm thats when it dies. Im hearing ignition switch/cam sensor/crank sensor or column lock or fuel pump. Thank guys 🙏🏼
Just a clarification "turn over" and "crank" mean the same thing.
The following users liked this post:
Sickspeedbeatz (04-18-2024)
Old 04-17-2024, 12:20 AM
mmartinez
Melting Slicks

Received 513 Likes on 429 Posts

Those kind of problems can be very hard to troubleshoot, I would follow the advice to take it to a shop that has a scanner to find out why it is shutting down when warmed up. I have the same pull key wait ten seconds message, but my 97 only does it in cold weather, so it will be good till the fall.
Old 04-17-2024, 05:36 AM
Eshoremd
Melting Slicks

Received 481 Likes on 289 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Do you have long tube headers?
Old 04-17-2024, 06:45 AM
C5 Diag
Moderator, Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,135 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Watch the Tach while cranking…if no movement may be a bad crank sensor…you will have no spark or injector pulse in that case…a bad CAM sensor will start the car but may take a little longer…u do however need the crank sensor to start the car.

Last edited by C5 Diag; 04-17-2024 at 06:51 AM.
Old 04-17-2024, 07:48 AM
C5MSG2004Vert
Drifting

Received 383 Likes on 271 Posts

Read the diagnostic codes from the DIC or if you have a hand held scanner. Thats the place to start otherwise anything is just a guess.
Old 04-18-2024, 01:35 PM
Sickspeedbeatz
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Eshoremd
No long tube headers. Completely stock
Old 04-18-2024, 09:48 PM
Sickspeedbeatz
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Eshoremd

no headers
Old 04-18-2024, 10:00 PM
Sickspeedbeatz
8th Gear

Originally Posted by lucky131969
Just a clarification "turn over" and "crank" mean the same thing.

Okay. So you know the sound the car makes when its about to start? It keeps doing that but doesnt “turn over”. Doesn’t fire up. Only way to get it to start again is if I disconnect the negative terminal battery terminal
Old 04-19-2024, 07:36 AM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 85 Likes on 78 Posts

Okay. So you know the sound the car makes when its about to start? It keeps doing that but doesnt “turn over”. Doesn’t fire up. Only way to get it to start again is if I disconnect the negative terminal battery terminal
Just trying to help you with the basic terminology so when you ask people for help on the forum they know what you are talking about. When you turn the key, the starter engages the flywheel of the engine, and the engine begins to rotate a.ka. "turn over" or "crank". Then the engine starts (fire up).

So it sounds like when you turn the key the engine WILL turn over, but it will not start.
Old 04-19-2024, 09:48 AM
mmartinez
Melting Slicks

Received 513 Likes on 429 Posts

Some people have experienced problems with the BCM which required them to disconnect the negative battery cable for the car to crank. The problem could be the BCM or PCM but we would all be guessing without codes, as I explained in an earlier post the best thing is to take your car to a auto repair shop that specializes in electrical diagnostics.

Get notified of new replies

To Help! C5 dies when car is warmed up.

Quick Reply: Help! C5 dies when car is warmed up.