C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torque tube shaft won’t fit into clutch help

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2024, 11:10 PM
whitelxne
Heel & Toe

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Torque tube shaft won’t fit into clutch help

Fought with getting the right angle of the torque tube to the engine, put grease on the input shaft, made sure my clutch alignment tool went in and out smooth, and yet the TT does not want to go into the clutch splines.

Spent like 2 hours trying
so many different angles, spinning the flywheel, wiggled both the TT and the motor up n down to try and find the right angle and the TT just will not go in the clutch farther than 1/4 of an inch.

before you ask, its a monster twin disc clutch made specifically for this car, so i don’t understand how the shaft wont spline into it even with all the wiggling.

its not hitting the pilot bearing because theres still so much room to go in. still got another 4 inches to go before the screws will fit. any insight?

UPDATE:
The reason it wouldnt go in any farther is the angle was incorrect. Had to unbolt the Torque Tube from the trans and dif so I could wiggle around the angle from the transmission side of the torque tube, it went in smooth in 30 seconds after taking the TT off and doing it that way. Had to smush the last inch in with the bolts (gently turning them little by little) to compress the slave once it hits the clutch fingers. Thanks for the help boys.

Last edited by whitelxne; 04-17-2024 at 09:54 AM.
Old 04-11-2024, 08:27 AM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 91 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by whitelxne
Fought with getting the right angle of the torque tube to the engine, put grease on the input shaft, made sure my clutch alignment tool went in and out smooth, and yet the TT does not want to go into the clutch splines.

Spent like 2 hours trying
so many different angles, spinning the flywheel, wiggled both the TT and the motor up n down to try and find the right angle and the TT just will not go in the clutch farther than 1/4 of an inch.

before you ask, its a monster twin disc clutch made specifically for this car, so i don’t understand how the shaft wont spline into it even with all the wiggling.

its not hitting the pilot bearing because theres still so much room to go in. still got another 4 inches to go before the screws will fit. any insight?

Did you confirm the clutch slid onto the input shaft spline before install? Did you use a clutch alignment tool when doing the install? I would leave the engine supported and stationary or you will just be chasing your tail on the angle, plus if you let it down too far......you'll crack the firewall. Also, is that wheel bearing grease all over the input shaft? If so, where do you suppose all that is going to go when you start spinning?
Old 04-11-2024, 10:05 AM
whitelxne
Heel & Toe

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i didnt slide the clutch onto the input shaft before install because i figured if its a monster clutch specifically for the c5 then any misalignment wouldnt make sense. and yes i used a clutch alignment tool for the install. and about the grease, i figured if it wouldnt go in dry id use a bit of grease to help it but it wont go in more than like half an inch. it feels as though it goes it a little bit and then just stops, and refuses to go in more
Old 04-11-2024, 10:42 AM
hmhaga
Racer

Received 108 Likes on 64 Posts

Install the torque tube separately, without the transmission mounted. When I did mine I didn't torque down the clutch cover until after the torque tube was installed. That way, the clutch disc can center on to the splines if it's slightly off.
More details from my install: https://www.z06vette.no/2023/10/install-drivetrain.html
Old 04-11-2024, 11:13 AM
493lszosix
Pro

Received 130 Likes on 104 Posts

If you used the plastic alignment tool that’s your issue, those are garbage especially with a twin disk, get a steel one from tick or an old input shaft
Old 04-11-2024, 05:29 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 476 Likes on 353 Posts

Did you let gravity do its thing with the install tool? They're pretty loose, I end up guessing where center is with the tool with one hand and zap a couple fasteners down with an impact to hold the disc in place. Then verify you guessed correctly and torque properly. You're still likely to struggle to get it in, gotta hold your mouth just right while you're doing it.
Old 04-13-2024, 09:43 AM
RB211
Instructor

Received 223 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by hmhaga
Install the torque tube separately, without the transmission mounted. When I did mine I didn't torque down the clutch cover until after the torque tube was installed. That way, the clutch disc can center on to the splines if it's slightly off.
More details from my install: https://www.z06vette.no/2023/10/install-drivetrain.html
This is exactly how I did mine, and used my old input shaft to align, not the cheap plastic one. Slid all the way in on the first try.

Get notified of new replies

To Torque tube shaft won’t fit into clutch help

Quick Reply: Torque tube shaft won’t fit into clutch help