C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speed density tune

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2024, 12:09 PM
MuskokaRider
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Speed density tune

morning folks.. 02 Z06, purchased this in 2019 runs great, last dyno was 492 to the ground, has speed density tune. my question is, do i really need the speed density tune,
I find in the cooler weather, like now, highs of around 5-8 deg C. Sometimes I come to a stop and it will stall or try, I have to keep tap the go pedal to
keep it alive, is a pita to be honest, but the next day it won t happen.. am thinking of returning it to MAF. i don t track the car, just a little aggressive back road stuff.
Am thinking with the maf ecm will adjust to the current weather and temps and not have these issues.. Have had many Vettes over the years and done the cams and
mods myself and found it was always a bad investment when selling LOL this one i let someone else bite the bullet, so it was all set up. Originally it was a Cali car, so maybe the SDT was fine for weather conditions there.
Any thoughts and opinions would be appreciated..

Thanks Al
have been a long time lurker on this great forum
Old 04-09-2024, 02:55 PM
Markolc1981
Racer

Received 221 Likes on 157 Posts

Are you using boost?
Old 04-09-2024, 03:12 PM
MuskokaRider
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Markolc1981
Are you using boost?
No sir, all NA
Old 04-10-2024, 11:59 PM
Markolc1981
Racer

Received 221 Likes on 157 Posts

No reason you can't go back to a blended MAF/VE tune. SD only tunes have the advantage of having better throttle response at part throttle.
Old 04-11-2024, 08:42 AM
MuskokaRider
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Markolc1981
No reason you can't go back to a blended MAF/VE tune. SD only tunes have the advantage of having better throttle response at part throttle.
Thank you sir
am on the hunt for MAF unit.. RA has the Delphi, which was the original mfg of them for C5 C6
Old 04-16-2024, 02:29 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 476 Likes on 353 Posts

MAF is so much more consistent as it actually measures airflow instead of calculating it. GM did something weird with IAT that makes these swing wildly with temp changes. Try an open loop speed density tune, that'll really open your eyes as to how screwy the logic was that they used in these things. Both my trucks are MAF only and throttle response is no different than when it was SD/MAF like stock.
Old 04-20-2024, 05:54 PM
MuskokaRider
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Supercharged111
MAF is so much more consistent as it actually measures airflow instead of calculating it. GM did something weird with IAT that makes these swing wildly with temp changes. Try an open loop speed density tune, that'll really open your eyes as to how screwy the logic was that they used in these things. Both my trucks are MAF only and throttle response is no different than when it was SD/MAF like stock.
I agree.. but now the weather is getting better, above 45 deg.. it runs fine, so it is only an issue in the fall.. oct/nov. mar/apr.. weather permitting.
will probably not mess with it now.. or until the fall when I get annoyed again,,

thanks to everyone for thoughts and feed back
Old 04-20-2024, 05:54 PM
MuskokaRider
Intermediate

thanks to everyone for feed back and your thoughts !!
Happy Trails

Get notified of new replies

To Speed density tune

Quick Reply: Speed density tune