C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hood louvers question

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2024, 02:20 PM
Vox Machina
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Hood louvers question

So I've been trying to read up as much as possible on aerodynamics for the C5. I know a common mod is to run the trackspec louvers on the hoods in the center and over the wheel arches.

My question is, does the number of fins make a significant difference or could you potentially run a smaller number and still see similar improvements?
Old 03-28-2024, 02:58 PM
yellow2007
Melting Slicks

Received 1,086 Likes on 638 Posts

Anything, no matter how small that you ad to the hood will increase drag. The louvers in my opinion look horrible. As a side note, look at the bowtie on the front of a ZL1 camaro.......it's hollowed out to reduce wind resistance..
Old 03-28-2024, 03:38 PM
FourG63 97GST
Melting Slicks

Received 350 Likes on 191 Posts

What goal you're trying to accomplish? The hood vents decreases from end lift.
have you ever drove with your hood unlatches or had one side unlatch? if so you'll see how much the hood wants to come up, from all the air that getting trapped in the bay with nowhere to go. without vent the air is still trapped pushing up on the underside of your hood, causing the front end to lift and drag.
But I don't think anyone here has the direct to answer what you're asking, trackspec has a small and large hood vent option, if someone has the answer its probably them.

The following users liked this post:
Johnny Hardcore (04-01-2024)
Old 03-28-2024, 03:41 PM
FourG63 97GST
Melting Slicks

Received 350 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by yellow2007
Anything, no matter how small that you ad to the hood will increase drag. The louvers in my opinion look horrible. As a side note, look at the bowtie on the front of a ZL1 camaro.......it's hollowed out to reduce wind resistance..
you're thinking of it one sided, the drag is already there. the vents relieves more drag than the vents can add to the car.
Navy Blue 210 (04-01-2024)
Old 03-28-2024, 04:33 PM
Vox Machina
Instructor

Originally Posted by yellow2007
I get that it'll increase drag that's what basically any aero does. I'm not so much worried about that as I am getting effective aero.

Originally Posted by FourG63 97GST
What goal you're trying to accomplish? The hood vents decreases from end lift.
have you ever drove with your hood unlatches or had one side unlatch? if so you'll see how much the hood wants to come up, from all the air that getting trapped in the bay with nowhere to go. without vent the air is still trapped pushing up on the underside of your hood, causing the front end to lift and drag.
But I don't think anyone here has the direct to answer what you're asking, trackspec has a small and large hood vent option, if someone has the answer its probably them.
My plan is to make a carbon fiber hood for my C5 with the vents molded into it, as opposed to it being an add-on. Obviously the more vanes there are, the more complex and difficult the mold will be to make. So I was trying to see if running a small number of vanes would still have the same effect of reducing front end lift, or if the higher vane count helped evacuate the underhood air more effectively.
Old 03-28-2024, 05:44 PM
heggsc5
Melting Slicks

Received 725 Likes on 513 Posts

I'm going to go out on a limb and say no/little ACTUAL research has been done (or is available to us) to be able to answer your question. We can theorize and speculate, but unless anybody here has the data to back it up, that's all we're doing. The location and size are important and Trackspec tells you exactly where to put their vents. If you do a search, you'll find at least one old post where a member actually did conduct research on location, size, etc. That post has some good info. The fact that Trackspec subsequently developed wickers to add to their louvers to improve their effectiveness tells me there's definitely some wiggle room in what you're looking for.
FourG63 97GST (03-28-2024)
Old 03-28-2024, 06:01 PM
ipuig
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by heggsc5
I'm going to go out on a limb and say no/little ACTUAL research has been done (or is available to us) to be able to answer your question.
Actually, there was a significant amount of aerodynamic research done on the C-5 platform.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
C5 AERO 2002-01-3333.pdf (11.22 MB, 35 views)
The following 4 users liked this post by ipuig:
Bobbo76 (04-02-2024), Gianna66 (04-02-2024), itsonlyairandfuel (03-31-2024), Kubs (04-02-2024)
Old 03-28-2024, 06:24 PM
heggsc5
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ipuig
Actually, there was a significant amount of aerodynamic research done on the C-5 platform.
First and foremost, thanks for sharing that pdf, I saved a copy to my C5 folder

I think most of us are very aware that there has been extensive testing done on a 20+ yr old championship winning platform. It would be impossible for there not to have been lol. My answer was specifically pertaining to the question he asked which was about amount of louvers in hood vents having a significant impact. The pdf you shared doesn't seem to address anything hood related that I can find, maybe I missed it somewhere? There is definitely some great info in that document otherwise!
Old 03-28-2024, 06:37 PM
ipuig
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

First and foremost, thanks for sharing that pdf, I saved a copy to my C5 folder

I think most of us are very aware that there has been extensive testing done on a 20+ yr old championship winning platform. It would be impossible for there not to have been lol. My answer was specifically pertaining to the question he asked which was about amount of louvers in hood vents having a significant impact. The pdf you shared doesn't seem to address anything hood related that I can find, maybe I missed it somewhere? There is definitely some great info in that document otherwise!
Perhaps the individuals conducting the research knew that the hood louvers are unnecessary boy racer bits.
Old 03-28-2024, 06:39 PM
Tron Z
Pro

Received 165 Likes on 113 Posts

Unless the louvers are so closely spaced so as to create a meaningful flow restriction, I would expect that the overall area of the vent and its placement would be much more influential than whether the vent has seven louvers, or nine. That said, the aerodynamic drag induced by the exhausted radiator air being trapped under the hood, would likely far outweigh just about any aerodynamic mischief that you could cause by adding an exhaust vent in the hood.

Best of luck with your project!
The following 2 users liked this post by Tron Z:
Johnny Hardcore (03-28-2024), Navy Blue 210 (04-01-2024)
Old 03-28-2024, 07:01 PM
heggsc5
Melting Slicks

Perhaps the individuals conducting the research knew that the hood louvers are unnecessary boy racer bits.
Interesting take...

Trackspec develops their parts for use in their own Spec Corvette C5 race series. I don't get "boy racer" vibes from them personally.

And perhaps other individuals thought otherwise as well?

The following 2 users liked this post by heggsc5:
Johnny Hardcore (03-28-2024), Midwayman (04-05-2024)
Old 03-28-2024, 08:58 PM
Johnny Hardcore
Melting Slicks

Received 889 Likes on 612 Posts

I don't believe the number of louvers will have much significance if we're talking say 7 instead of 9. The placement of the vents on the other hand is of major significance. They need to be in a low pressure zone to ensure the vents are flowing air out vs. if they are placed too high up on the hood and instead allow air to come in. Placed correctly they will let more air flow pass through the radiator and release the hot air out of the vents keeping engine temps down. And at high speeds you won't experience hood lift anymore.

But if you're doing them for front end aero purposes the increase in down force is minor at best. And nothing compared to a splitter as far as impact.

I purchased an extra paint matched hood with Trackspec vents for my car to keep temps down after adding the Novi. I think the black vents look good on a black car. More so than other colors. But I'm biased.

Old 03-28-2024, 09:04 PM
Johnny Hardcore
Melting Slicks

Uh oh...they must not have consulted that same individual when GM produced the C7 Z06.
Old 03-28-2024, 09:15 PM
Ajl#1945
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '22

Vents form a low pressure zone. Will suck air from the compartment. Minimum effect on engine temp. I installed these vents for a different look on the C5.
Old 03-28-2024, 09:38 PM
heggsc5
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Ajl#1945

Vents form a low pressure zone. Will suck air from the compartment. Minimum effect on engine temp. I installed these vents for a different look on the C5.
Those are dangerously close to a high pressure zone aka where a cowl induction hood would bring air IN to the hood.

Like the other fellas said, placement is key. Up front right behind the radiator (where Trackspec puts them and even though the C5R is far from stock, where they put it as well) is ideal.
The following 4 users liked this post by heggsc5:
G_Loc (03-31-2024), Johnny Hardcore (03-29-2024), Navy Blue 210 (04-01-2024), Tron Z (03-28-2024)
Old 03-29-2024, 08:58 AM
Johnny Hardcore
Melting Slicks

Those are dangerously close to a high pressure zone aka where a cowl induction hood would bring air IN to the hood.

Like the other fellas said, placement is key. Up front right behind the radiator (where Trackspec puts them and even though the C5R is far from stock, where they put it as well) is ideal.
the above louver placement couldn't be worse for functionality. But he states he did it for looks. Which I personally don't see the point. Especially when it has an adverse effect and he had to cut up a nice hood.

I reviewed a dozen or more windtunnel test videos years back before sourcing my Trackspec hood. There was a wind tunnel test performed on a C7 that showed (if memory serves) a 10% reduction in heat (reason I opted for it) when the center vent louvers were installed over stock hood, 70lbs of added down force at 80mph, and 100lbs of DF at 120mph over the stock hood. Placement was at least 24 inches from the windshield cowel and just behind the radiator. Exactly where the center vent is on my hood.

So yes, when using a large center vent correctly placed, they do reduce heat and they increase down force.
The following 3 users liked this post by Johnny Hardcore:
Ajl#1945 (03-29-2024), FourG63 97GST (03-29-2024), Navy Blue 210 (04-01-2024)
Old 03-29-2024, 11:00 AM
redzg
Melting Slicks

Received 665 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by Vox Machina
My plan is to make a carbon fiber hood for my C5 with the vents molded into it, as opposed to it being an add-on. Obviously the more vanes there are, the more complex and difficult the mold will be to make. So I was trying to see if running a small number of vanes would still have the same effect of reducing front end lift, or if the higher vane count helped evacuate the underhood air more effectively.
I find this three part series incredibly accurate at depicting the work involved in making a carbon fiber hood -- a fun watch whether one wants to go this way or not:

Get notified of new replies

To Hood louvers question

Old 03-29-2024, 11:34 AM
Vox Machina
Instructor

Originally Posted by redzg
I find this three part series incredibly accurate at depicting the work involved in making a carbon fiber hood -- a fun watch whether one wants to go this way or not
I think I've watched that video series (and the rest of the stuff easy composites has posted) about a dozen times. I used to work in a composute shop so im fairly well versed in the "how to" aspect of it, I just don't have the background in engineering/aerodynamics to properly do the "why" aspect.
Ajl#1945 (03-29-2024)
Old 03-31-2024, 09:21 AM
redzg
Melting Slicks

Received 665 Likes on 533 Posts

Last intrusion, a couple of good sources I’ve used over time:
https://www.uscomposites.com/carbonpage.html
https://www.fibreglast.com/category/...QaAoCpEALw_wcB
I tend towards US Composites for material and Fiberglast for other tools and supplies.
Old 03-31-2024, 10:42 AM
Ajl#1945
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '22

If you run your car the track spec louvers are OK. If it is a street car they are ugly with rivets that destroy the look.

Quick Reply: Hood louvers question