C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Fluid, Synthetic?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2024, 11:35 AM
oktx
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Brake Fluid, Synthetic?

I'm sure its never been changed, so it's time. Does synthetic vs non synthetic matter?
Old 03-26-2024, 01:04 PM
Tron Z
Pro

Received 165 Likes on 113 Posts

Best practice would be not to mix and match brake fluid types. If you wish to use synthetic, buy a little extra and thoroughly flush your system.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tron Z:
oktx (03-26-2024), rrwirsi (03-28-2024)
Old 03-26-2024, 01:33 PM
Vader_C5
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 698 Likes on 411 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C5 of the Year Winner - Unmodified

I used Amsoil DOT4 last time for my C5.
Old 03-26-2024, 03:44 PM
Dads2kconvertible
Drifting

Received 643 Likes on 427 Posts

Originally Posted by oktx
I'm sure its never been changed, so it's time. Does synthetic vs non synthetic matter?
You can mix them without issues if that's what you're asking. Synthetic usually means you can go longer between changes but that varies based on your use case.
Look at your clutch fluid too since you say the brake fluid has probably never been changed. If it looks like oil change that too.
And be prepared to change your master cylinder soon. The piston sometimes builds up some crud or rust just past where it usually stops moving. When the pedal goes to the floor many times during a bleeding process that crud/rust pushes past the seal and can start leaking.
The following users liked this post:
oktx (03-29-2024)
Old 03-28-2024, 12:49 PM
spfautsch
Racer

Received 163 Likes on 117 Posts

Technically speaking, all dot3 and higher brake fluid is synthetic because the molecules have to be chemically cracked. Dot3/4 are both polyethylene glycol which is derived by polymerizing ethylene oxide (the primary ingredient in antifreeze). The two can be mixed safely - the primary difference is fluids with a 4 designation have higher boiling points. Should not be mixed with mineral oil based fluids.

Dot5 is a silicone-based fluid with an even higher boiling point. Also technically synthesized. Absolutely cannot be mixed with mineral or poly-glycol based fluids.

The "synthetic" moniker is mainly a marketing tactic that engine oil producers latched onto in the 2000s. I'm not a fan of Amsoil, but here's a really good write-up on what the term "synthetic" means.

https://blog.amsoil.com/are-all-synt...vs-v/?zo=34396

Last edited by spfautsch; 03-28-2024 at 12:59 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Dads2kconvertible (03-28-2024)
Old 03-29-2024, 12:53 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 474 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by spfautsch
Technically speaking, all dot3 and higher brake fluid is synthetic because the molecules have to be chemically cracked. Dot3/4 are both polyethylene glycol which is derived by polymerizing ethylene oxide (the primary ingredient in antifreeze). The two can be mixed safely - the primary difference is fluids with a 4 designation have higher boiling points. Should not be mixed with mineral oil based fluids.

Dot5 is a silicone-based fluid with an even higher boiling point. Also technically synthesized. Absolutely cannot be mixed with mineral or poly-glycol based fluids.

The "synthetic" moniker is mainly a marketing tactic that engine oil producers latched onto in the 2000s. I'm not a fan of Amsoil, but here's a really good write-up on what the term "synthetic" means.

https://blog.amsoil.com/are-all-synt...vs-v/?zo=34396
Don't forget about 5.1, here's a blurb from Valvoline.

Brake fluid DOT 5.1 uses glycol ether and borate ester compounds but has an enhanced performance like the silicon-based DOT 5. We can say that it is a non-silicone version of DOT 5 but compatible with DOT 3 and DOT 4 types of braking systems and fluids.

With that said, racing fluids seem to be DOT4 just like racing pads rarely exceed a mu rating of F, despite there being more highly rated street variants out there that don't perform as well as the tra k stuff.

Old 03-29-2024, 04:59 PM
Beast
Burning Brakes

Received 337 Likes on 217 Posts

If you ever plan on doing an HPDE, you can use hawkHP600, you can use it for the street and track. I use it. Synthetic vs non synthetic, I don’t think it matters.
Old 03-29-2024, 05:42 PM
spfautsch
Racer

Received 163 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Beast
Synthetic vs non synthetic, I don’t think it matters.
Again, the point of my chemical explanation is that it's all synthesized. Ethylene oxide is a gas, which is produced through a chemical reaction and is then mixed with other chemicals to produce numerous other compounds such as:

Polyethylene glycol = dot 3 / 4 brake fluid
Ethylene glycol = antifreeze

Propylene is a close cousin to ethylene, and when hydrated becomes propylene glycol = used as the base for most eye drops

In short, it's not refined from dead dinosaurs at any stage of it's existence. Therefor it's all synthetic. Buy the one that has the highest boiling point regardless of whether the container has the word "synthetic" on it.

Last edited by spfautsch; 03-29-2024 at 07:46 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Brake Fluid, Synthetic?

Quick Reply: Brake Fluid, Synthetic?