C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1999 FRC passenger dash area rattle

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2024, 11:53 AM
ehrhartc
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Default 1999 FRC passenger dash area rattle

The rattling noise is sporadic but very frequent. It does not seem to be speed or RPM related. It sounds to me like body panel noise.
It will rattle at idle with clutch depressed or released - in gear or out of gear. bumps and turns do not affect it
sometimes when depressing clutch at higher RPM I hear a chattering sound - same location
cruising or under load does not change it - gear selection does not change it.
It will rattle constantly for 20 minutes while driving and then stop and I hear nothing for 5-10 minutes and then it begins again.
You cannot hear the noise from outside the car - only while seated in the cabin.
I have used a stethoscope placed on the engine pan - valve covers - bell housing area - headers - front part of torque tube - rear part of torque tube - transmission - and I hear nothing but normal rotating sounds.
I have removed the HVAC fuses - no change
I removed the ABS fuses - no change
I have replaced all front suspension parts and checked each one to verify torque specs - tie rods, hubs, upper and lower control arms and ball joints - front spring - shocks - tie rod ends - sway bar bushings - (just as a full rebuild - not chasing this noise)
I checked torque on motor mounts
Checked for loose steering components - all tight and torqued.
I banged on the cats with a rubber hammer (aftermarket) no noise
I checked for loose exhaust springs - no noise
Exhaust system is not touching anything.
I have inserted rubber pads on any plastic or metal part under the hood that I could find that made contact with the frame or panel
I removed the battery and the inner wheel well looking for anything loose that could rattle
I tightened the front air dam
I checked and tightened all quarter panel screws and bolts and door hinges and sprayed with WD-40 - checked for looseness in headlight asseblies
Engine is a new 427 Dart build with LS7 clutch kit and there is no performance issue or vibration issues
I checked shifter alignment (per froggy)
Placing my ear on the dash I hear it - ear on console I hear it - ear on outside of passenger door while closed I hear it - ear on fender - I do NOT hear it

I have attached a file of the rattle - if anyone has experienced it

Attached Files
File Type: mov
Ratllepassdash.mov (2.53 MB, 6 views)
The following users liked this post:
DWC4 (04-03-2024)

Quick Reply: 1999 FRC passenger dash area rattle