C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stuck doing clutch install. Pls for the love of god help.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2024, 02:17 PM
whitelxne
Heel & Toe

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default For anyone stuck removing the quick disconnect for the slave to master cylinder.

Im updating this thread for anyone having trouble with the quick disconnect for the master cyl-slave syl lines shown below.

It felt as if the two were seized together at first, there was barely any movement in the little brown piece you are supposed to push deeper into the slave cyl side of the disconnect.There was no twist or push/pull movement on either side of the fittings, so i figured something must be wrong internally that was preventing it from opening.

I had bought the pittsburgh AC/Fuel line quick disconnect tool at harbor freight, and the “A” sized socket was able to fit around perfectly. After pushing down as hard as i physically could and it only going down halfway as shown in the picture above, I figured because of how high milage my car was there must be some sort of rust build up inside.

I tried using screwdrivers as other threads have mentioned, but that just wouldnt do anything.

after 3 hours of banging my head on the wall, not even joking 3 hours trying this, perseverance was key.

I gave it 3 cycles of a good 20 minute soaks in PB blaster, and then tried again.

I had to push down on the tool as hard as i physically could while simultaneously twisting the tool to different positions, and adjusting where the pressure was pushing down, and eventually i felt the brown piece click down into the slave cyl side. When I tell you i yelled so loud, i yelllleddd in joy.

After yanking on the slave cylinder end of the quick disconnect over and over white simultaneously continuing to push down as hard as i could with the tool, it finally popped loose and i slammed my hand onto the bellhousing which hurt like a b*tch, but for the love of god it came out.

If you feel like your quick disconnect is seized, dont give up, spray some PB blaster and let it soak for a while, and then try again and push the tool with all your might while pulling the slave cyl end as hard as you physically can. I promise you’ll get it. It genuinely seemed impossible and i was halfway to just cutting the stupid lines and getting new ones, but dont give up.

Happy wrenching boys.

Last edited by whitelxne; 03-16-2024 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Found a solution, want to share it with the people of the forum.
Old 03-16-2024, 04:39 PM
robmiz
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Have you tried opening the bleeder to slave? You need to relieve the pressure a little then use the tool to disconnect the coupler… I know the first time for me it was pain.
Old 03-17-2024, 11:01 AM
feeder82
Melting Slicks

Received 991 Likes on 627 Posts

Old 03-17-2024, 11:50 AM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 476 Likes on 353 Posts

Same when you go to put it back together, gotta crack that bleeder loose. Another thing is to press the 2 halves together before trying to press that plastic piece in.

Get notified of new replies

To Stuck doing clutch install. Pls for the love of god help.

Quick Reply: Stuck doing clutch install. Pls for the love of god help.