C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil on spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2024, 06:31 AM
Eddie0311
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Oil on spark plugs

So all 8 of my spark plugs were covered in oil and fouled, also losing a decent amount of oil over a couple day course and I do daily drive my vette. No smoke out of the exhaust and no loss of power at all. Could this be a pcv problem (this is a 04 which has the ls6 style pcv set up) or is this a piston ring problem. The car is also H/C.If this is a pcv system problem would a simple catch can fix it?
Old 02-29-2024, 07:41 AM
Prop Joe
Pro

Received 539 Likes on 260 Posts

Just going thru something similar. I bet if you look behind your throttle body you find a pool of oil in the intake. Mine had/has a bunch in it, now and in the past.
I did not check the plugs on my 98 but I noticed increased oil consumption after using 80% on my oil life monitor, or about 8500 miles this month. Yes, I drive it a lot, like 20k miles in the two years I've owned it. Doesn't blow smoke on start up or full throttle. As of last spring, my car also has the 2004 "improved" valley cover and PVC system when I did my head/cam/header install. I put an Elite catch can on last Tuesday on it drove it 30 miles and got about a tablespoon of oil... Hmm..., WTF. Thursday, I changed the oil, drove it over 900 miles on the highway over two days and I got the same tablespoon out of the catch can. Lesson learned. I'm doing oil changes at 5000 miles, just like I do on all the other cars I own. Lesson learned, screw that oil life monitor. Try changing your oil, that calmed my cars oil consumption down considerably.
About the catch can. I do not like how hard it is to drain the Elite catch can as it places the bottom of the can to close to the clamps coming out of the water pump. In hindsight I wish I'd have bought the Moroso version, with a drain valve right from the get go, but could not find a black one that I wanted on-line. Ideally the Moroso one with a clear reservoir and black housing/ bracket would be ideal for Joe's visual pleasure. I could not figure out that configuration on-line and called Moroso and they ignored my request so I went with the Elite version. For now I'll drill and tap the side of the Elite catch can reservoir for a drain valve can for ease of checking/draining. I'm hoping that I'll just need to dump the catch can every 5000 miles, when I change the oil. So far the fresh clean oil seams to cured my oil consumption on my car.
Now that the catch can is installed I'll swab out that oil in the intake and go from there.
YMMV
Old 02-29-2024, 08:43 AM
captain vette
Safety Car

Received 1,216 Likes on 793 Posts

I have an Elite on my Z and I cannot find any issue to remove the bottom reservoir from it, make sure you put the hockey stick bracket all the way up so that should clear anything below
Old 02-29-2024, 10:22 AM
mmartinez
Melting Slicks

Received 510 Likes on 427 Posts

How many miles on the engine? oil consumption is usually caused by oil getting by the piston rings or valve seals, it could also be the pvc system.
Old 02-29-2024, 10:43 AM
30rpm
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

It would have to be a massive amount of oil in the manifold to cover all 8 plugs. I doubt all 8 rings or valve seals gave out at the same time. If it was a small amount of oil going by the pcv it would probably only end up in a few cylinders as it tends to puddle in a certain spot in the manifold and take the path of least resistance.

If you pulled the manifold you would get a lot more info to identify the problem but I wouldn't go and throw money at a catch can just yet. Does oil pressure look like its in the normal range?

Do you have pictures of the spark plugs?
Old 02-29-2024, 11:55 AM
grinder11
Race Director

Received 3,606 Likes on 2,556 Posts

The OEM LS PCV systems suck, literally. My LS7 intake is full of oil. It is damn near impossible to get out. Bottom line is, catch can or not, if you hook up a vacuum to oil mist, it's going to end up in the intake sooner or later. I pitched the entire system, and vented it to atmosphere. Just used a little clear bottle to route the breather hose into to collect excess oil, which I drain approximately every 3 months. Worked great on most every internal combustion engine from the 1800s to the 1960s. Works great on mine, too. No oil leaks, oil stays carmel colored for at least 5,000 miles, minimum. Oh, and my modded, 600hp LS7 wet sump has 53,000 miles on it in 10 years, and uses 1/2qt-maybe- between 5,000 mile oil and filter changes.
The following users liked this post:
Prop Joe (02-29-2024)
Old 02-29-2024, 12:49 PM
Eddie0311
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mmartinez
How many miles on the engine? oil consumption is usually caused by oil getting by the piston rings or valve seals, it could also be the pvc system.
the car itself has 86k I had a 50k mile ls1 swapped in because the old block head bolts thread pulled out, the engine was supposed to completely rebuilt the heads are brand new prc heads with roughly 5k on them.
Old 02-29-2024, 12:51 PM
Eddie0311
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 30rpm
It would have to be a massive amount of oil in the manifold to cover all 8 plugs. I doubt all 8 rings or valve seals gave out at the same time. If it was a small amount of oil going by the pcv it would probably only end up in a few cylinders as it tends to puddle in a certain spot in the manifold and take the path of least resistance.

If you pulled the manifold you would get a lot more info to identify the problem but I wouldn't go and throw money at a catch can just yet. Does oil pressure look like its in the normal range?

Do you have pictures of the spark plugs?
oil pressure is normal. Ill pull the intake soon and i have to put a quart of oil in roughly every 3 days depending on the drive. Normal city driving oil dosent go down much, long highway drives it goes down pretty fast.
Old 02-29-2024, 12:52 PM
Eddie0311
Intermediate

Old 02-29-2024, 12:54 PM
Eddie0311
Intermediate

Originally Posted by grinder11
The OEM LS PCV systems suck, literally. My LS7 intake is full of oil. It is damn near impossible to get out. Bottom line is, catch can or not, if you hook up a vacuum to oil mist, it's going to end up in the intake sooner or later. I pitched the entire system, and vented it to atmosphere. Just used a little clear bottle to route the breather hose into to collect excess oil, which I drain approximately every 3 months. Worked great on most every internal combustion engine from the 1800s to the 1960s. Works great on mine, too. No oil leaks, oil stays carmel colored for at least 5,000 miles, minimum. Oh, and my modded, 600hp LS7 wet sump has 53,000 miles on it in 10 years, and uses 1/2qt-maybe- between 5,000 mile oil and filter changes.
can you describe how you vented it into the atmosphere might be the best bet for me.
Old 02-29-2024, 12:57 PM
Eddie0311
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Prop Joe
Just going thru something similar. I bet if you look behind your throttle body you find a pool of oil in the intake. Mine had/has a bunch in it, now and in the past.
I did not check the plugs on my 98 but I noticed increased oil consumption after using 80% on my oil life monitor, or about 8500 miles this month. Yes, I drive it a lot, like 20k miles in the two years I've owned it. Doesn't blow smoke on start up or full throttle. As of last spring, my car also has the 2004 "improved" valley cover and PVC system when I did my head/cam/header install. I put an Elite catch can on last Tuesday on it drove it 30 miles and got about a tablespoon of oil... Hmm..., WTF. Thursday, I changed the oil, drove it over 900 miles on the highway over two days and I got the same tablespoon out of the catch can. Lesson learned. I'm doing oil changes at 5000 miles, just like I do on all the other cars I own. Lesson learned, screw that oil life monitor. Try changing your oil, that calmed my cars oil consumption down considerably.
About the catch can. I do not like how hard it is to drain the Elite catch can as it places the bottom of the can to close to the clamps coming out of the water pump. In hindsight I wish I'd have bought the Moroso version, with a drain valve right from the get go, but could not find a black one that I wanted on-line. Ideally the Moroso one with a clear reservoir and black housing/ bracket would be ideal for Joe's visual pleasure. I could not figure out that configuration on-line and called Moroso and they ignored my request so I went with the Elite version. For now I'll drill and tap the side of the Elite catch can reservoir for a drain valve can for ease of checking/draining. I'm hoping that I'll just need to dump the catch can every 5000 miles, when I change the oil. So far the fresh clean oil seams to cured my oil consumption on my car.
Now that the catch can is installed I'll swab out that oil in the intake and go from there.
YMMV
so basically do a oil change and see what that does then possibly do a catch can, I love that everyone who has responded has said nothing about piston rings lol. Makes me less worried
Prop Joe (02-29-2024)
Old 02-29-2024, 01:00 PM
BELVIN20
Burning Brakes

Received 517 Likes on 305 Posts

Default C5 Tech

Another scientific guess would be valve guide seals if all 8 plugs were covered, just putting that out there since you said engine & heads were rebuilt, a lot of oil would have to go pass PCV to consume that much oil. A real test would be a leak down test to rule out rings.

Last edited by BELVIN20; 02-29-2024 at 01:02 PM. Reason: More im put
Old 02-29-2024, 01:02 PM
FNFastZ06
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Post #4
Originally Posted by mmartinez
Old 02-29-2024, 01:14 PM
30rpm
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by BELVIN20
Another scientific guess would be valve guide seals if all 8 plugs were covered, just putting that out there since you said engine & heads were rebuilt, a lot of oil would have to go pass PCV to consume that much oil. A real test would be a leak down test to rule out rings.
Are you saying that they could have been the wrong size? It seems highly unlikely that they would all fail at the same time. Just curious. Agree in a leak down to rule out rings if thats a concern.
Old 02-29-2024, 01:18 PM
30rpm
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Eddie0311
I was expecting them to look worse by how you described it. How many miles are on those plugs?
Tampa Tuning (03-02-2024)
Old 02-29-2024, 11:59 PM
Prop Joe
Pro

Received 539 Likes on 260 Posts

Shyt, Plugs look good, from what I can see. I see some oil on the threads. A little oil around the threads will make them easier to remove. Looks like they are burning the oil just fine.
I added the catch can to avoid the oil in the intake. I asked the guy who tuned my car if I needed a catch can. He said "It'll burn it, no need". That being said I was curious. I may just remove the catch can at this point now that I know what works for me/my car,
These work for experimental aircraft and I may have an old EGR check valve or two to make my own set up laying in the garage somewhere:
https://antisplataero.com/product/cr...-kit-complete/

Drag racers have been using these set ups for years. No catch can under he hood and should make a few more hp.
EDIT: After a little research on that check valve system the one that Moroso sells is only designed for open headers. Any sort of back pressure and the venturi will NOT pull enough oil vapor out of the engine. Oh well, so much for that idea, unless you are running open headers.

Last edited by Prop Joe; 03-01-2024 at 08:37 AM. Reason: spellin'. Research
Old 03-01-2024, 03:58 PM
spfautsch
Racer

Received 163 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Eddie0311
the heads are brand new prc heads with roughly 5k on them.
Do you know if the rocker arm bolt holes are open to the intake runners? If they are some kind of thread sealant is needed on them or you'll get oil sucked into the runners.

Get notified of new replies

To Oil on spark plugs

Old 03-02-2024, 06:36 PM
Eddie0311
Intermediate

I was expecting them to look worse by how you described it. How many miles are on those plugs?
supposedly brand new so roughly like 5k as well
Old 03-02-2024, 06:36 PM
Eddie0311
Intermediate

they were a bit worse rub my finger aross them a few times
Old 03-02-2024, 06:37 PM
Eddie0311
Intermediate

Originally Posted by spfautsch
Do you know if the rocker arm bolt holes are open to the intake runners? If they are some kind of thread sealant is needed on them or you'll get oil sucked into the runners.
ill look into that because i have no clue

Quick Reply: Oil on spark plugs