C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil delivery starvation

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2024, 04:24 PM
Gdiehl98
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil delivery starvation

Hello I hope everyone is doing well. Quick question, I drive a c5 baseline ls1. I am having oil delivery / starvation problems after putting a mellings high pressure high volume oil pump. I have read that a bigger oil pan is needed to keep from sucking the oil pan dry. Does anybody have a preference on a bigger oil pan? Or any other options that have worked?
Old 02-18-2024, 04:51 PM
JHrinsin
Drifting

Received 391 Likes on 319 Posts

Which Mellings pump part number did you install?
Old 02-18-2024, 04:51 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

NO! You most likely have a damaged pick up tube O Ring. Its VERY easy to cut/improperly install that O ring.

I know its a PITA but (if were Me) I would pull off the front cover and before you touch that tube, Use a mirror / Scope or something to carefully inspect that O ring and see if its budged, or damaged. Remove the tube from the pump and examine the O ring. I bet, that's your issue..

Which O ring did you use? Green or the Orange one?
If the O ring is good, I would drop the lower section of the pan (if you have a two piece pan) and inspect the oil pick up screen for debris..

Old 02-18-2024, 09:32 PM
Gdiehl98
Intermediate

I don’t have any debree in the pickup tube. I took the bottom part of the pan off a while back, probably 1500 miles ago and it was ok. I may have just done something improperly. I had a really hard time bolting the pickup tube to the pump. I used the green one

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
NO! You most likely have a damaged pick up tube O Ring. Its VERY easy to cut/improperly install that O ring.

I know its a PITA but (if were Me) I would pull off the front cover and before you touch that tube, Use a mirror / Scope or something to carefully inspect that O ring and see if its budged, or damaged. Remove the tube from the pump and examine the O ring. I bet, that's your issue..

Which O ring did you use? Green or the Orange one?
If the O ring is good, I would drop the lower section of the pan (if you have a two piece pan) and inspect the oil pick up screen for debris..
Old 02-18-2024, 09:37 PM
Gdiehl98
Intermediate

this one

Originally Posted by JHrinsin
Which Mellings pump part number did you install?

Old 02-19-2024, 12:06 PM
JHrinsin
Drifting

Received 391 Likes on 319 Posts

I tend to agree with Bill that it is unfortunately the O-ring that is damaged. The Melling #10296 will not suck the C5 oil pan dry. BTW, the Improved Racing oil pump pickup tube brace/clamp is very handy as well.

https://www.improvedracing.com/oil-s...l?gad_source=1
The following users liked this post:
vette4fl (02-26-2024)
Old 02-24-2024, 10:30 PM
Tron Z
Pro

Received 165 Likes on 113 Posts

The #10296 pump only provides an 18% increase in volume. It's perfectly compatible with the OE oil pan and there is no need to worry about pumping the oil pan dry with this particular pump.
Check that you have the correct o-ring for your pickup tube. I have GM p/n 12557752, but it all likelihood it has probably superseded to something else. Extreme care is required not to damage the o-ring.

Per @jhrinsin consider the pickup tube brace from Improved Racing.
Per @BC, backtrack and double check your work.

Also, what spring do you have installed for the bypass valve? Did you ensure that the bypass valve operates smoothly and is free of swarf?
The following users liked this post:
Bill Curlee (02-25-2024)

Get notified of new replies

To Oil delivery starvation

Quick Reply: Oil delivery starvation