C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!!! LG Long tube install

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2024, 01:08 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

OP, just out of curiosity, how high is the car, off the floor, and is it that high, both front and rear? FWIW, this may be irrelevant to your situation, maybe not, but MANY years ago, I installed a set of the Hooker "sidemount" headers on a Pontiac Firebird that I used to own. These are similar to what the C-3 Corvette guys install, except the head pipes were spaced to fit a Pontiac cylinder head. These headers were bulky, to say the least.

Yeah, I read the instructions, which read "the car should be 3 feet from the ground", and in my youthful optimism, thought there was A)no way in hell, I would be able to get the car that high, in my driveway, with just a floor jack, a pair of ramps, and a pair of jackstands; and B) certainly they're just being overly cautious, in saying "3 feet". Long story short, they weren't kidding, the car needed to be that high, and boy did I struggle to get it close to that high, in a reasonably safe manner.

Bottom line, do the instructions for your LGs mention any height necessity? If your unsure, set the headers on the floor, standing upright, and measure from the top of the header flange to the floor, they add another couple of inches, to be sure. That's how high the car has to be......
Old 02-28-2024, 01:38 PM
FNFastZ06
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by VERYSOON
Apex
I watched the guys at LG install my LT Pros. I remember the drivers side went in from the bottom and it looked effortless. I suspect you are on the right track and just need to get the car high enough. You are going to love those headers!!
VS
That's how I did mine when I R and R'd them. Driver's side from the bottom. Got the car up about 29".
Old 02-29-2024, 11:21 AM
ApexMONSTER
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Bottom line, do the instructions for your LGs mention any height necessity? If your unsure, set the headers on the floor, standing upright, and measure from the top of the header flange to the floor, they add another couple of inches, to be sure. That's how high the car has to be......
They say 2 feet or more 🤣🤣🤣. I’m at 25” now but I’ll get it higher this weekend. Thanks for all the advice guys!
The following users liked this post:
FNFastZ06 (02-29-2024)
Old 02-29-2024, 12:11 PM
30rpm
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Long tubes are always a PITA. Sometimes all it takes is a little sweet talking to get em to go in.
Old 02-29-2024, 01:00 PM
JHrinsin
Drifting

Received 391 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by ApexMONSTER
They say 2 feet or more 🤣🤣🤣. I’m at 25” now but I’ll get it higher this weekend. Thanks for all the advice guys!
PLEASE be careful with getting the car up that high without using some sort of lift.
Old 02-29-2024, 02:38 PM
ApexMONSTER
Advanced

Originally Posted by JHrinsin
PLEASE be careful with getting the car up that high without using some sort of lift.
I will I won’t go any more than 4 more inches and I probably won’t need to now that I know I can make some room with the seam welds.
Old 03-01-2024, 08:46 PM
Mc556
Pro

Received 281 Likes on 160 Posts

Any luck
Old 03-02-2024, 11:23 AM
ApexMONSTER
Advanced

Well somehow I managed to get the drivers side in! The high from that was incredible. Now I’m right back down into depression spiral because the passenger side is somehow worse… The car is 28” up, starter and all the cables are removed. I have tried jacking up the engine, tried going in through the top with the valve cover removed, nothing… I was so driven to get these in and after 3 hours of different attempts I’m gassed… taking a break to post my woes and beg for any advice for this side… I feel like that AC line is an issue but it gets to the point where it’s just the block and wheel well that gets in the way… The batwing oil pan is what’s making this such a massive pain in the ***. Shame on LG for making this part of the install so god damn vague. Literally says “install header”, fantastic…

Last edited by ApexMONSTER; 03-02-2024 at 11:43 AM.
vette4fl (03-14-2024)
Old 03-02-2024, 12:18 PM
ApexMONSTER
Advanced

Well officially F**K LG for LYING!!!! The passenger side 100% HAVE to go in from the top on the Z06 I CANNOT be told otherwise! Anyways after removing the transmission inspection plate, removing the valve cover and jacking up the passenger side of the motor, They are in!!! Gonna tidy up and finish them tomorrow because I’m gassed! Thank you all so much for your help!

The following 3 users liked this post by ApexMONSTER:
Eshoremd (03-03-2024), Markolc1981 (03-13-2024), Prop Joe (03-02-2024)
Old 03-02-2024, 01:22 PM
FNFastZ06
Pro

I put my LGs PS in from above easily. Removed only coil pack assy, battery and battery shroud. 1 twist clockwise, one twist counter clockwise and they were in.
Old 03-02-2024, 01:26 PM
FNFastZ06
Pro

Since you have it up that high, maybe you should service the torque tube and replace the cluch?
Old 03-02-2024, 04:24 PM
ApexMONSTER
Advanced

Originally Posted by FNFastZ06
Since you have it up that high, maybe you should service the torque tube and replace the cluch?
Should I? What entails servicing the torque tube? The car only has 60k miles on it and the clutch is fine so I just want to wrap it up and get it back on the road now…

I lost the damn 8mm starter solenoid nut right before I was gonna call it a day when the starter was done. Getting everything back together with that header in the way is sheer torture…
Old 03-02-2024, 07:12 PM
Mc556
Pro

I feel for you.
I got lucky I was installing new heads so I slid the LT’s while they were off.

Old 03-02-2024, 07:13 PM
Mc556
Pro

Where are you located.
Sounds like you could have used an extra set of hands . Helps alot just having someone that can hold something in place etc
Old 03-02-2024, 10:23 PM
FNFastZ06
Pro

Should I? What entails servicing the torque tube? The car only has 60k miles on it and the clutch is fine so I just want to wrap it up and get it back on the road now…

I lost the damn 8mm starter solenoid nut right before I was gonna call it a day when the starter was done. Getting everything back together with that header in the way is sheer torture…
I was kidding... hence the emoji, but... I snapped the stud the 8mm nut went on, so it cost me a starter on top of everything else I was doing. after I got it buttoned up I said to myself "after all that, I should probably have serviced the torque tube". I'll get back you on that...
Old 03-03-2024, 12:57 AM
Eshoremd
Drifting

Received 481 Likes on 289 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I need a Xanax just looking at this.

Glad you got them in. Did you throw anything? I would have.
Old 03-04-2024, 08:44 AM
ApexMONSTER
Advanced

Originally Posted by FNFastZ06
I was kidding... hence the emoji, but... I snapped the stud the 8mm nut went on, so it cost me a starter on top of everything else I was doing. after I got it buttoned up I said to myself "after all that, I should probably have serviced the torque tube". I'll get back you on that...
Ohhh thank god I thought I was gonna have to wait for more parts and do more work…

Originally Posted by Mc556
Where are you located.
Sounds like you could have used an extra set of hands . Helps alot just having someone that can hold something in place etc
North Palm Beach area. Yea had lots of friends talking a big game until it actually came time and then all I got was advice and excuses lol. I absolutely could have used a friend more than anything 🤣🤣🤣

Originally Posted by Eshoremd
I need a Xanax just looking at this.

Glad you got them in. Did you throw anything? I would have.
I’m sure I have ostracized myself from the neighborhood with the amount of bashing and yelling at inanimate objects that occurred last Saturday…

I feel for you.
I got lucky I was installing new heads so I slid the LT’s while they were off.
Shops wanted nearly 2K to put them in! I could have just bought a whole new set of heads and that would have made it easier 😭
Eshoremd (03-04-2024)

Get notified of new replies

To HELP!!! LG Long tube install

Old 03-04-2024, 09:06 AM
Mc556
Pro

West Palm is a bit far, but you got it. That sucks no one stepped up to help. Honestly I’m impressed how you got it up in the air. I can picture in my head you walking it up a board or two at a time. I’ve done it, but not that high. Anyway great job considering your resources and lack of help.
Old 03-04-2024, 09:32 AM
ApexMONSTER
Advanced

West Palm is a bit far, but you got it. That sucks no one stepped up to help. Honestly I’m impressed how you got it up in the air. I can picture in my head you walking it up a board or two at a time. I’ve done it, but not that high. Anyway great job considering your resources and lack of help.
I probably spent literally an entire day (over the course of 3 days) just lifting the car up! Best believe as soon as I got those headers in I lowered it down like 3 boards worth because it was genuinely sketchy!
Old 03-04-2024, 09:44 AM
Mc556
Pro

I probably spent literally an entire day (over the course of 3 days) just lifting the car up! Best believe as soon as I got those headers in I lowered it down like 3 boards worth because it was genuinely sketchy!

Ya it was sketchy, but I’m not going to preach. Sometimes you have to do what you have to do. I bought a quick jack last year on sale from Sam’s club. It’s been one of the better purchases I’ve made. I’ve found a lot of uses other than the car to make it worth the cost. Changing mower blades on my zero turn and I’ve went back to doing my own oil changes. It works really good outside in the driveway when washing cars. Being able to get underneath every now and again to clean things up is kinda cool.

When I finish working today I hopefully can button up my car and fire it up. I changed the heads, intake headers injectors and TB. I also deleted the mass air and cats plus the heads are milled. I have a HP tuners so I’m hoping I can adjust enough to get it to the shop. If not I’ll have a tow bill. The car is to low for our group use car trailer or any other I have accessible. Not feeling very optimistic on avoiding the tow bill.

Quick Reply: HELP!!! LG Long tube install