C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

suspecting my oil pressure sensor is leaking oil

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2024, 09:22 PM
jeanpxrk
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default suspecting my oil pressure sensor is leaking oil

My 97 c5 is leaving some oil marks on the floor.
I noticed that when the car sits, it doesn’t really leak but when i let the warm up in the morning then i see oil on the floor.
it comes from the rear of the engine. My oil pressure sensor IS bad but just wanna see ways i can narrow it down to make sure it is my oil pressure sensor.

Old 02-16-2024, 10:08 PM
RedC5
Melting Slicks

Received 132 Likes on 88 Posts

Take the Corvette top cover off and get a flashlight to look down at the sensor behind the tight area behind manifold - it has a yellow top connector - most likely you will see oil on it.

Last edited by RedC5; 02-17-2024 at 01:23 PM.
Old 02-17-2024, 08:05 AM
cdee63
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 644 Likes on 300 Posts

Seeing mine did the exact same thing, I would bet a dollar it is the sensor. They are a known problem. With the covers off idling I could shine a light where it is located and see the oil coming from the junction of where the metal housing and plastic center, it was leaking pretty good. When you do replace the sensor do a search on oil sensor relocation, makes changing one a couple minute affair vs removing the intake manifold to do it.
Old 02-18-2024, 03:25 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

I use a mirror and a good bright flashlight to inspect it. Its a 97! IMHO, I would remove the intake to replace instead of trying to do all the different short cuts used to sidestep removing the manifold. That way you can replace the old worn intake gaskets/O-ring seals, Injector seals, clean ALL the oil out of the inside of the manifold, Clean all the trash/sand /dirt out of the space between the head and the manifold. You can Clean the Throttle body and blade. Clean the MAF.
I would also attempt to lengthen the short nylon vacuum tube at the back of the manifold. Makes life easier.

If you have the chance, you can find a 2001-2004 C5 intake for a few more HP/TQ. Easy up-grade. I would also clean the injectors while there out. Easy DIY process.

If you need some coaching, just drop me a PM. We can talk. This is NOT a difficult job, even though it looks and seems like it.

Bill
The following users liked this post:
DWC4 (02-21-2024)
Old 02-18-2024, 07:43 PM
mike venth
mike v

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 87 Likes on 58 Posts

Default Oil Pressure After Sensor Replacement

go to the forum search area and type in "Oil Pressure Sensors Removal and Replacement" and you will find some great info.
good luck,
mike v
Old 02-20-2024, 11:05 AM
grinder11
Race Director

Received 3,606 Likes on 2,556 Posts

The C5 intake is the easiest intake I've ever removed on a V8. No coolant in it is a big part of it. Before removing it, I'd get a can of Gunk, and spray it down. Then use ONLY a garden hose, NOT a power washer, to rinse it all off. Then maybe use compressed air from a couple feet away to blow off any remaining junk. This will help eliminate any dirt or debris, if any, from falling into the intake ports of the head. All you need is a 10mm (?) socket, a fuel line disconnect (not totally necessary, but makes things easier), unplug the TB, a screwdriver to disconnect the airbridge, and unplug the 8 injector pigtails. Been awhile, so I may have forgotten something, but this will be a damn good start.....
Old 02-20-2024, 01:00 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

People get the heebeegeebees about taking their engine apart because it looks complex. When I first got my 98, I had that same feeling. Once you dive in and getherdone, its EASY!
Then, the MODIFICATION BUG kicks in and its a down hill spiral from there. LMAO!
Old 02-20-2024, 02:52 PM
Tron Z
Pro

Received 165 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
People get the heebeegeebees about taking their engine apart because it looks complex. When I first got my 98, I had that same feeling. Once you dive in and getherdone, its EASY!
Then, the MODIFICATION BUG kicks in and its a down hill spiral from there. LMAO!
^ This
It's all down hill from there, eh? lol

You will need a special tool to release the fuel line, but removing the intake on an LS engine is far simpler and easier than an old school small block Chevy engine. Be not afraid. So long as you don't drop anything down the intake ports, you'll be OK.
Old 02-20-2024, 05:49 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

To just remove the intake from the engine, I have NEVER had to disconnect the fuel lines from the fuel rail. Once you pop all the injectors out of the intake, the fuel rail and injectors are easy to move around. I just get a piece of cardboard, lay the cardboard on the windshield and flop the injectors/ attached to the fuel rails over onto the cardboard covered windshield.

On the other hand, IF you want to for what ever reason, remove the fuel rails and injectors from the vehicle; YES, you will need to disconnect the fuel line. ,

BC
Tron Z (02-20-2024)
Old 02-20-2024, 06:57 PM
Tron Z
Pro

Received 165 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
To just remove the intake from the engine, I have NEVER had to disconnect the fuel lines from the fuel rail. Once you pop all the injectors out of the intake, the fuel rail and injectors are easy to move around. I just get a piece of cardboard, lay the cardboard on the windshield and flop the injectors/ attached to the fuel rails over onto the cardboard covered windshield.

On the other hand, IF you want to for what ever reason, remove the fuel rails and injectors from the vehicle; YES, you will need to disconnect the fuel line. ,

BC
I wouldn't have thought there was enough slack in the fuel line for that.
Thanks; I'll give that a try!
Old 02-20-2024, 10:21 PM
mike venth
mike v

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 87 Likes on 58 Posts

Default fuel line info

Replace the pads under the Intake. They should cover the knock sensors to keep dirt out.

remember to torque them in order.
Tron Z (02-21-2024)

Get notified of new replies

To suspecting my oil pressure sensor is leaking oil

Quick Reply: suspecting my oil pressure sensor is leaking oil