C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1997 Corvette Propeller Shaft/Input shaft help

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2024, 10:30 AM
Itzgeooo
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 Corvette Propeller Shaft/Input shaft help

Hi everyone, so my torque tube was stuck so force was really the only option lots of corrosion and in doing so the teeth of the propeller shaft/input shaft got chipped. I can’t find any part number for it or replacements. I see that there’s an aftermarket one but it states for 01-04 models only. Does anyone know if it can be used in 1997 they look very similar or should I just clean it up and use it as is?
Old 01-07-2024, 01:14 AM
bob22z06
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would call Texas Drivetrain performance and see if they can help you with that, that's where I got all replacement parts when I was rebuilding my drivetrain
Old 01-07-2024, 11:08 AM
robmiz
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

The differences between those years are the coupler bolts/holes size on the prop shaft. Your is 10mm vs 12mm.
Old 01-07-2024, 11:56 AM
Itzgeooo
5th Gear

Originally Posted by robmiz
The differences between those years are the coupler bolts/holes size on the prop shaft. Your is 10mm vs 12mm.
thank you I ended up calling and they told me
Old 01-07-2024, 11:59 AM
Itzgeooo
5th Gear

Originally Posted by bob22z06
I would call Texas Drivetrain performance and see if they can help you with that, that's where I got all replacement parts when I was rebuilding my drivetrain
I did and their kit is very over priced. I’m either going to drill to 12mm or buy a used torque tube 😵‍💫
Old 01-07-2024, 12:19 PM
Prop Joe
Pro

Received 541 Likes on 262 Posts

Try RPM transmission in Indiana.
Homepage - RPM Transmissions
Speed Inc has my old 98 splined shaft like the one you need. Call and talk to Tony. My housing was broken and they ordered a complete 2001-2004 assembly from RPM when they installed my clutch. They should have my old one they could sell you, if they havent sold italready...
Performance Parts for Chevrolet Camaro, Corvette, Cadillac CTS-V, ATS-V, Dodge Hellcat - Speed inc

The old shaft looked really nice

Rectum? Hell, I broke the damn thing. Started as a hairline crack. they never got the old bearing out.

Old 01-07-2024, 01:55 PM
Itzgeooo
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Prop Joe
Try RPM transmission in Indiana.
Homepage - RPM Transmissions
Speed Inc has my old 98 splined shaft like the one you need. Call and talk to Tony. My housing was broken and they ordered a complete 2001-2004 assembly from RPM when they installed my clutch. They should have my old one they could sell you, if they havent sold italready...
Performance Parts for Chevrolet Camaro, Corvette, Cadillac CTS-V, ATS-V, Dodge Hellcat - Speed inc

The old shaft looked really nice

Rectum? Hell, I broke the damn thing. Started as a hairline crack. they never got the old bearing out.
oh man now I need to see if I can even get the bearings out before I even get the shaft thank you I’ll give them a call!
Old 01-08-2024, 02:08 AM
bob22z06
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, sorry I forgot about the rpm , I bought 6c z06 both output shafts with a spur gear from them, super nice guys to work with , fast shipping parts came in one day
Old 01-08-2024, 07:53 AM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

If your picture is the only damage I'd just clean it up with a small file and run it.
The following users liked this post:
Prop Joe (01-08-2024)
Old 01-08-2024, 08:45 AM
Prop Joe
Pro

Received 541 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
If your picture is the only damage I'd just clean it up with a small file and run it.
I was thinking that. I'm guessing the spline probably dead soft as wrought. I have had good luck with an Ogive shaped Swiss pattern file to clean splines at work. It's tedious work but can be done.That ogive shape usually takes off the raised stuff without removing excess material and scratching the rest of the spline.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/General-...KNLCyHXNBrQ4Gg
Don't use the round one in the set, use the one that is kind of oval, or ogive shape to it:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ogive
Definitely worth a shot, blend it and see what it looks like... Other wise check those links I gave above.
May the force be with you!
Old 01-08-2024, 09:09 AM
Itzgeooo
5th Gear

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
So I ended up cleaning up the shaft and there’s lots of holes from corrosion. I thought of just running it as well but it seems like too much a risk for all this work . But definitely if that was the only damage I’d do it my mechanic also recommended I just file it.

Get notified of new replies

To 1997 Corvette Propeller Shaft/Input shaft help

Quick Reply: 1997 Corvette Propeller Shaft/Input shaft help