C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97 base trans coolant line into radiator

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2023, 06:24 PM
cdw
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
Default 97 base trans coolant line into radiator

Murphy's law has smacked me in the head again.gonna remove the trans to clean it this time. the bottom (return) trans coolant line looks like it's been there since April of 97. it's not the quick disconnect type. has a little corrosion on it. i'm talking about the line going into the plastic side tank. no problem with the top line. about a 2 inch long metal that screws into the tank.i kinda wonder if the line will turn to crap if i try to unscrew it. put some PB blaster on it tonight. all i see is the quick disconnect when i google 97 c5 trans line removal. quick disconnects came later but my 97 does not have them. thanks in advance
Old 12-02-2023, 02:46 AM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Doesn't that line screw into a Brass threaded insert ? If so you shouldn't have to worry about stripping out into the plastic tank threads
Old 12-02-2023, 08:47 AM
cdw
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

don't see a brass insert just straight into the radiator female fitting. dam drain plug is different to. not a 1/4 inch socket,looks like a plastic wing blade and turning it to loosen it looks very scary. looks like i'll use my tube wrench to see how it goes. top was easy,bottom not so good so far. if i can't get the wing flange on the drain plug loose looks like i'll have to drain via the hose which will probably make a mess. turned that plug good and was beginning to feel like it might strip out. btw thanks for the reply
Old 12-02-2023, 10:25 AM
cdw
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

upon further review you are correct. should be ok now. just hope the tube is not corroded bad and sticks to the nut when turned. i'll also check the routing of my trans cooler lines. been on there for about 4 years and not too sure they are routed right. always checked the trans temp and was always good. top line from radiator goes to trans cooler then bottom cooler line went to top radiator port. left bottom radiator port unchanged. gonna have to revisit this set up.

Get notified of new replies

To 97 base trans coolant line into radiator

Quick Reply: 97 base trans coolant line into radiator