C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I Dare Ask Who's Installed Air Suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2023, 11:27 PM
DetroitGS
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Do I Dare Ask Who's Installed Air Suspension?

Do I dare ask who's installed air suspension on their C5? I'd like to learn more about the specifics on a C5. I have a few questions, such as what system you went with and why. Feel free to contact me directly through private message if you prefer.

Keywords: Airbags Airtekk Air Struts Air AccuAir RideTech Bags
Old 11-18-2023, 02:15 PM
romandian
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 78 Posts

would like to see a picture of that.
Old 11-18-2023, 08:04 PM
feeder82
Melting Slicks

Received 987 Likes on 626 Posts

Never seen a thread on this forum of someone that's done this. Just posts asking the same as you.
Old 01-04-2024, 02:51 AM
zdave83
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

I am investigating the same for track use ... but I want it computer driven to counteract body roll, squat and dive.

Old 01-04-2024, 12:50 PM
G_Loc
Pro

Received 324 Likes on 142 Posts

I've seen this brought up in one or two Facebook groups - I think specifically one called "Anti-boomer Corvette owners" or something along those lines. Pretty sure at least one member on there has done it. I'll try to dig up the posts and pictures.

If you do go digging around for that group, be forewarned: a good number of vettes on there have "interesting" mods to say the least.
The following users liked this post:
DetroitGS (01-08-2024)
Old 01-06-2024, 12:36 AM
zdave83
Instructor

Originally Posted by G_Loc
I've seen this brought up in one or two Facebook groups - I think specifically one called "Anti-boomer Corvette owners" or something along those lines. Pretty sure at least one member on there has done it. I'll try to dig up the posts and pictures.

If you do go digging around for that group, be forewarned: a good number of vettes on there have "interesting" mods to say the least.
"Anti-boomer Corvette owners" ... interesting name for a group of car or motorsports enthusiasts
vette4fl (01-09-2024)
Old 01-06-2024, 08:01 AM
redzg
Melting Slicks

Received 665 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by zdave83
"Anti-boomer Corvette owners" ... interesting name for a group of car or motorsports enthusiasts
non-“boomer” C5 owners?
Old 01-06-2024, 01:51 PM
zdave83
Instructor

Originally Posted by redzg
non-“boomer” C5 owners?
So would that be like "Anti-millennial Corvette owners" ? Or "Anti-Asian Corvette owners" ? Or "Anti-female Corvette owners" ?

If so ... that's definitely NOT something I'd want to spend time around. Always liked to think car enthusiasts and people in motorsports were mostly better than that.
The following 3 users liked this post by zdave83:
Chrisbequick (02-06-2024), Tron Z (01-08-2024), vette4fl (01-09-2024)
Old 01-08-2024, 10:03 AM
DetroitGS
Instructor

Originally Posted by G_Loc

Thanks for the tip. I'm surprised I had not run across that group already. I've seen some info on YouTube or Instagram about air suspensions on C5's & C6's, but usually lacking details.

As far as interesting mods.... I generally enjoy unique stuff, as long as it's not hacked together garbage.
Old 01-08-2024, 10:13 AM
itsonlyairandfuel
Drifting

Received 384 Likes on 241 Posts

This corvette forum used to be about making all corvettes quicker, faster, and handle better. Now the deranged have decided on labels to divide and antagonize. Go figure.
The following 2 users liked this post by itsonlyairandfuel:
MitchSpence (01-08-2024), zdave83 (01-12-2024)
Old 01-08-2024, 10:37 AM
Missileboy
Racer

Received 331 Likes on 184 Posts

To the OP, check this site out for info and pictures

Air Suspension for Chevrolet Corvette C5 (1997-2004) RWD (bagriders.com)

Personally, I love my Z06 spec suspension but some people like dropping their rides to the ground-to each his own

IRT " Boomer" comments, WGAF-alot of the younger crowd (not all) are just living in their time slot and making fun of those ahead of them, just like we did-You can call me whatever you want too, but I got $$$, a house that is paid for, a supercharged Corvette and all my toyz are bought in cash! NO DEBT-suck on that Gen Zers'!
The following 4 users liked this post by Missileboy:
DetroitGS (01-08-2024), Quick Silver Z (01-26-2024), vette4fl (01-09-2024), zdave83 (01-12-2024)
Old 01-08-2024, 10:46 AM
DetroitGS
Instructor

Originally Posted by Missileboy

Cool, thanks for the link.
Old 01-08-2024, 01:09 PM
Tron Z
Pro

Received 165 Likes on 113 Posts

I have quite a lot of experience with OE air suspension systems which automatically change ride height based on road speed, or other road/off-road conditions, but they were not configured to react to cornering forces, for example. It is difficult to imagine them reacting fast enough for such duty, particularly on the track and even if they could, it would seem to me that they could just as easily upset the chassis in mid-corner, as to contribute anything positive to the vehicle's handling characteristics.

That said, I can be and am frequently wrong about things, so please post any information to the contrary that you might find.
Old 01-09-2024, 08:34 AM
redzg
Melting Slicks

Personally, I love my Z06 spec suspension but some people like dropping their rides to the ground-to each his own

IRT " Boomer" comments, WGAF-alot of the younger crowd (not all) are just living in their time slot and making fun of those ahead of them, just like we did-You can call me whatever you want too, but I got $$$, a house that is paid for, a supercharged Corvette and all my toyz are bought in cash! NO DEBT-suck on that Gen Zers'!
An interesting link, but I find it curious they have a kit for the C5 and C6, but no photos of a C5 or C6 in high and low configurations. Plus the kit photo they do show indicates two high tech Hi-Jackers -- clearly an interesting concept, but why not show four units if the kit includes four units. I'll send an email and see if they offer any clarification.
Old 01-09-2024, 12:29 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Originally Posted by redzg
Plus the kit photo they do show indicates two high tech Hi-Jackers.
The ones they show wont fit a Corvette either.

They show the same kit picture for every model I searched for. Makes one wonder what they actually have.
Old 01-09-2024, 06:46 PM
vette4fl
Safety Car

Received 2,268 Likes on 1,315 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Tron Z
I have quite a lot of experience with OE air suspension systems which automatically change ride height based on road speed, or other road/off-road conditions, but they were not configured to react to cornering forces, for example. It is difficult to imagine them reacting fast enough for such duty, particularly on the track and even if they could, it would seem to me that they could just as easily upset the chassis in mid-corner, as to contribute anything positive to the vehicle's handling characteristics.

That said, I can be and am frequently wrong about things, so please post any information to the contrary that you might find.
Are you an engineer? Always well written and insightful…
Old 01-09-2024, 06:49 PM
vette4fl
Safety Car

Received 2,268 Likes on 1,315 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Damn right. Maybe after 20+ years of trying to navigate the real world, they’ll have more perspective.

I hope I live that long so they have to change my diapers. 🤣🤣🤣

Get notified of new replies

To Do I Dare Ask Who's Installed Air Suspension?

Old 01-10-2024, 08:36 AM
redzg
Melting Slicks

Got a reply from Bag Riders, noting that they do not have photos of actual kits, but that the kit does indeed apply to all four corners. They have a photo of one bagged C5 on the web site, and there are two videos on YouTube. The videos are complete crap, with the car and camera moving and shifting at all times, so I will not link them here.
I assume most of us would like the idea primarily to improve day to day operation of the car, i.e. low for driving and raised for driveways and speed bumps, etc. The Bag Riders kit does not seem to support that idea.
Old 01-12-2024, 07:15 AM
smitty2919
Safety Car

Received 2,038 Likes on 1,202 Posts

Originally Posted by zdave83
I am investigating the same for track use ... but I want it computer driven to counteract body roll, squat and dive.

I don't think you want air ride...think of all the lines and air tank/compressor you need. Plus I highly doubt any aftermarket air suspension is capable of reacting in a performance driving situation that fast. This is why OEM's of performance cars make MRC...magnetic ride control.

You'll need shocks, sensors and a controller.
Tron Z (01-13-2024)
Old 01-22-2024, 05:47 PM
zdave83
Instructor

The only potential source I've found so far is Air Lift Performance Series. They don't have a bolt-on kit for the C3, but the rep says they work with customers on individual solutions. This assumes the C3 has had, or will have, chassis/suspension changes to accommodate coil overs.

https://www.airliftperformance.com/p...air-suspension
DetroitGS (01-27-2024)

Quick Reply: Do I Dare Ask Who's Installed Air Suspension?