C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kooks headers leak at flange (1st gen)

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2023, 05:33 PM
zguy
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Kooks LT headers exhaust leak and P0430

Hello. I have a set of Kooks LT headers on my 99. They are the original 2 bolt collector / flange design. A few years ago I developed a leak in this area. I tightened them a bit and that seemed to solve the problem. I have very bad leak that you can smell while idling and driving even under no load. I also have a P0430 code currently.

I am going to check the leak this evening. Any suggestions aside from trying to tighten them up? I really don't want to over tighten them.

Thanks!

Last edited by zguy; 10-28-2023 at 10:45 AM. Reason: typos and added more detail.
Old 10-27-2023, 05:40 PM
feeder82
Melting Slicks

Received 988 Likes on 626 Posts

New gaskets?
Old 10-27-2023, 05:43 PM
zguy
Pro

Not leaking at the heads. Leaking by the collector / flange area.
Old 10-27-2023, 07:23 PM
mmartinez
Melting Slicks

Received 518 Likes on 434 Posts

There should be a gasket at the flange also, at least that's what I remember.
Old 10-28-2023, 10:43 AM
zguy
Pro

Originally Posted by mmartinez
There should be a gasket at the flange also, at least that's what I remember.
So I got the car up in the air last night. It appears that there is a lot going on. I pumped air into the exhaust system via the exhaust tips using a vacuum. Without spraying any soapy water, there are some noticeable leaks of air right where the mid pipe meets the over the axle part of the GHL exhaust. These two sections connect with 2 bolts flanges. You can see some black soot here and it appears that some of the gasket is blown out. So obviously this needs to be fixed.

I sprayed the rest of the exhaust under the car. E.g., Where the catted x-pipe meets the mid pipe and the collector / flange area where the LTs from the engine bay end. The collector / flange area is a ball and socket joint type that is held together with a 2 bolts flange on either side.

I also sprayed the soapy water mix on the exhaust manifold area and there is some bubbling there. Looks like the exhaust manifold is leaking too. Could the headers be cracked or is this simply bad gaskets at this point? I think I used new OEM gaskets when I did this install many years ago.

In summary, I have two problems.

1) A big enough exhaust leak that makes driving pretty un bearable unless you are moving down the road with the windows open.
2) P0430 code.

Get notified of new replies

To Kooks headers leak at flange (1st gen)

Quick Reply: Kooks headers leak at flange (1st gen)