C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2003, 02:59 PM
Slack
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Problems

I had a Centerforce dual-friction clutch installed about 4 months ago. It is making a tapping noise when I have the clutch pedal all the way out. It seems to get louder in cold weather and when the A/C is turned on. I can make it go away be pressing the clutch in approximately one inch. Sometimes I can push the clutch in a few times and let it out again and the noise goes away. The folks I had install the clutch said the clutch seemed fine but it is embarrassing sitting at a light with a loud tapping noise going on like my engine is about to blow. By the way it never did this with the stock clutch. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!
Old 01-21-2003, 06:10 PM
topgun
Drifting

Default Re: Clutch Problems (jeromet)

Its probably the throwout bearing rattling...it can be annoying and embarrassing :cuss
Old 01-21-2003, 06:58 PM
gonbad
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Clutch Problems (topgun)

If you are getting a vibration along with the sound then one or more of the weights on the centerforce are stuck out of position.

You could not pay me to put one of those in my car. I have had nothing but bad experiences with CF clutches. Too long a story to go into here.
Old 01-21-2003, 07:09 PM
RHN
Cruising

Default Re: Clutch Problems (jeromet)

I had a similar knocking problem at idle.
I could make the knocking stop by putting a little fore or aft pressure on the shifter while in neutral, or by depressing the clutch an inch or two.
My problem turned out to be a bad clutch release bearing.
Good luck in solving yours.

Get notified of new replies

To Clutch Problems

Quick Reply: Clutch Problems