C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing head gasket - Pull engine

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2023, 09:00 PM
j.weigand
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing head gasket - Pull engine

Good evening,

It seems I've unfortunately purchased a lemon, I had my mechanic check it out but he seems to have missed a few critical items. I just finished replacing the front end stuff (Front crankshaft seal, harmonic balancer, tensioner & pulleys, power steering pulley) and I noticed air bubbles in the surge tank. After multiple attempts at bleeding I brought my car to another mechanic to complete a block test, which failed. I was advised it was likely a bad head gasket.

So I've pulled the car off the road for the summer and have started disassembling the top end of the motor. Today I got the first head off, and about 50% done the other. The passenger side head and the engine is just covered in oil...... My question is - Do I just drop and rebuild the motor? . I have a whole bunch of time but I'm looking to keep a tight budget.

Curious to hear everyone's thoughts!

Edit: I should also add I have access to a 2 post hoist, but have very limited experience on anything internal.
Old 08-13-2023, 10:03 PM
Dads2kconvertible
Drifting

Received 651 Likes on 429 Posts

One potential issue is you have not definitively narrowed the issue to head gasket. What if it's actually a cracked block and you go through the work of the top end and have the same problem when you put it back together?
Old 08-14-2023, 03:05 PM
j.weigand
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's a very good point - I don't think it's too much more work to drop the drivetrain and lift the engine out for further inspection.

Path forward:

1 - Drop drivetrain
2 - Buy engine stand/ mount engine
3- Degrease/clean engine, inspect for any fractures/damage. I'm going to enlist a professional for the latter step lol.

assuming no damage to the block if I already have the engine out:

4- buy a kit like linked below and begin! http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...oducts_id=8564

As far as power upgrades go, I know I mentioned the budget was a little light. But if I have the drivetrain out what's the best bang for buck power upgrades?

Thanks guys,
Old 08-15-2023, 07:10 AM
SH-60B
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 162 Posts

Look closely at the head gaskets in the areas between the pistons and all of the water passages for an obvious breach. The mating surfaces of the block and heads also in those areas might reveal evidence like slight erosion of the metal.

Get notified of new replies

To Replacing head gasket - Pull engine

Quick Reply: Replacing head gasket - Pull engine