C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 Z06 driveline noise/ vibration

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2023, 05:05 PM
NW94Z
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Default 04 Z06 driveline noise/ vibration

Hello,

I've got a 04 CE Z06 with a little over 60K on the odometer. I picked the car up from a friend a year ago with around 57K. The car is relatively stock, mostly just replaced wear and tear items but also some upgrades to improve reliability.

A couple of weeks ago I noticed a noise in the cabin. it sounds a little like gear wine, humming but not as high frequency. Sometime I think it is coming from the back of the car sometimes I think it is coming up through the stick. When the noise is present the stick vibrates as well. They come as a package deal in that respect.

It doesn't happen at all in 1st or 2nd gear. At least not that I can detect. It occurs in all others gear 3rd through 6th and begins a little above 2000 rpm. It only happens under load. light load heavy load the moment I touch the throttle it shows up.

The car has had driveline work done about at 52k to address a driveline noise described in this thread. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ive-train.html

Here is what has been done to the drivetrain.
  • Rebuilt transmission including bronze pad shift forks, shafts, bearings and seals
  • LS7 clutch and flywheel, new LS6 throw out bearing with remote bleeder
  • New engine rear main seal plate, new torque tube bearings and couplers
  • C6Z differential clutch pack and new differential seals

The noise I am experiencing does not seem to be the same problem described in the link. I have the same noise in 4th gear as I do in any other gear excluding 1st and 2nd.

Any ideas before I take it in for a professional diagnosis. I'm trying to avoid this so I can move ahead with any parts I need to buy and do the work myself.

Thanks

Old 06-29-2023, 12:09 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,143 Likes on 846 Posts

Is there a possibility of getting the car up in the air to inspect the car while the wheels are engages and rolling? You will be able to pin point the noise pretty quickly.
Old 06-29-2023, 02:09 PM
NW94Z
Melting Slicks

Unfortunately not without going to a shop/ dealer. I have a 4 post lift at home but I don't want to risk raising the rear end off the lift and engaging the transmission.

If I am not mistaken I also think the noise is louder with each higher gear. It's definitely louder in 5th versus 3rd for instance. Could be speed related as a result because the RPMs are similar between the gears. This would suggest differential?
Old 07-03-2023, 12:02 PM
NW94Z
Melting Slicks

Hi Mods,

Any chance to move this to the general section while technically this is a tech topic it may get more visibility there and more responses.

Thanks
Old 07-05-2023, 03:24 PM
NW94Z
Melting Slicks

Adding another observation to the issue I made in the last couple of days. The stick itself feels relatively loose when in any gear especially in the gears where the whine is evident. I drove a couple of my other stick cars yesterday ironically both with T56 transmissions or a variant thereof and when in gear there is much less play.

Would this suggest a linkage problem as opposed to something internal in the transmission?

Not mentioned above the car also has a TMODCUSTOMS lower shifter box and a C6 upper shifter installed.

Get notified of new replies

To 04 Z06 driveline noise/ vibration

Quick Reply: 04 Z06 driveline noise/ vibration