C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interesting information on the Optima battery?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2003, 10:14 PM
Richin Chicago
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Interesting information on the Optima battery?

I was at Sam's Club looking at Champion's labeled Spiralcell battery. I beleive it is an Optima. (Other than the cosmetics it looked identical) Anyway it has a printed warning that says something to the effect that Spiralcell batteries have a requirement that charging voltage should be no higher than 14.4 volts. Until I read that I was going to buy a group 34 as they were only $90.00 But the voltage on my DIC is always above 14.4 until I have driven for quite some time. Doesn't anybody else have experience with this?

Old 01-18-2003, 10:30 PM
EMDExpress
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Interesting information on the Optima battery? (Richin Chicago)

The voltage reading on the DIC is VERY inaccurate. Want to check it for yourself, use a good Volt/ohm meter and place the probes on each post (watch your polarity) of the battery. :nonod: :seeya

[Modified by EMDExpress, 10:31 PM 1/18/2003]
Old 01-18-2003, 10:31 PM
Richin Chicago
Safety Car

Default Re: Interesting information on the Optima battery? (Richin Chicago)

I think I answered my own question by doing somemore research.
http://www.optimabatteries.com/usingOptima/charging.asp

I have no idea what the 14.4 volt statement meant.
Old 01-19-2003, 09:46 PM
Shag Finger
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Interesting information on the Optima battery? (MANNY)

I have been thinking about an optima but is it really that much better than a glass mat that comes with a Z06? I personally have never had to actually buy a battery for any of my cars.
Old 01-19-2003, 10:48 PM
wwashing
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Interesting information on the Optima battery? (**** Finger)

I have been thinking about an optima but is it really that much better than a glass mat that comes with a Z06? I personally have never had to actually buy a battery for any of my cars.
Since your car has the glass mat Delco, and it's brand new, there is no reason for you to condsier a new battery of any kind unless there is some problem with your current battery? :(
Old 01-19-2003, 10:53 PM
Shag Finger
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Interesting information on the Optima battery? (wwashing)

Hi, uh,... yes I know this :cheers:

But I do have other cars :blueangel: and the glass mat battery isnt just for Z06s anymore :smash:

Not trying to be rude or anything :D I have been hotrodding cars for a number of years now and was just wondering why these batteries are all that much better than others that are on the market that seem to offer more for the money since I have never had an Optima and I dont believe in buying something for the hype factor. :smash:

So far I havent been able to get anyone to tell me in any of the circles that I travel in why an Optima is any better other than "well everyone has one so they must be good" :jester
Old 01-20-2003, 02:35 AM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

According to a Road & Track editor's reply, the Glass Mat batteries (like ACDelco's AGM) have been designed to outlast all other battery types, including gell-cell (Optima)-type batteries.

This is not to say that a Red Top is not a good battery - it's just not the best anymore.
Old 01-21-2003, 12:31 AM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,216 Likes on 3,459 Posts

Default Re: Interesting information on the Optima battery? (Dave68)

I imagine the statement on the battery has more to do with possible product liability than anything else. :yesnod:
Old 01-21-2003, 10:24 AM
wwashing
Le Mans Master

Hi, uh,... yes I know this :cheers:

But I do have other cars :blueangel: and the glass mat battery isnt just for Z06s anymore :smash:

Not trying to be rude or anything :D I have been hotrodding cars for a number of years now and was just wondering why these batteries are all that much better than others that are on the market that seem to offer more for the money since I have never had an Optima and I dont believe in buying something for the hype factor. :smash:

So far I havent been able to get anyone to tell me in any of the circles that I travel in why an Optima is any better other than "well everyone has one so they must be good" :jester
Here is a brief explaionation I found that high-lights the differences between the most significant automobile battery types. If you use Google and do a search on BATTRIES and SPIRAL CELL you will find a bunch of info on these.

BATTERIES are the number one component for your consideration and should be scrutinized carefully. Usually the cheaper the battery the poorer the short and long-term performance of such. Lead-acid technology is older than dirt, but provides reliable and long-term performance when purchased from leading qualitative companies. The downsides of lead-acid cells are their propensity to expel gases and fluids, relatively short shelf life, size and weight. The upsides of wet cells are that they are priced attractively and everyone sells them.

New spiral-cell or circular-cell technology and/or sealed batteries with electrolytic glass mat sponges and lead rolls are the new-fangled technology today. It is an attractive alternative to lead-acid cells. The distinct advantages of these batteries are the relatively lightweight, small size, sealed package, mounting position choices, extended shelf life, resistance to vibration damage, heat toleration and charge faster. A good alternative to the traditional battery, albeit more expensive.

Another consideration is deep cycle batteries. These are recommended for big wattage requirements such as powerful stereos or any accessory that you want to run independent of the engine running/charging.
:cheers:
Old 01-21-2003, 06:51 PM
SFVetteman
Drifting

New spiral-cell or circular-cell technology and/or sealed batteries with electrolytic glass mat sponges and lead rolls are the new-fangled technology today.
The technology dates back thirty years when the Gates company invented it. The original market was for stationary equipment such as standby generators.
Old 01-21-2003, 09:55 PM
wwashing
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Interesting information on the Optima battery? (SFVetteman)

New spiral-cell or circular-cell technology and/or sealed batteries with electrolytic glass mat sponges and lead rolls are the new-fangled technology today.

The technology dates back thirty years when the Gates company invented it. The original market was for stationary equipment such as standby generators.
OK! :cheers:
Old 01-22-2003, 11:55 AM
shafman1
Racer

I was reading on http://www.batterystuff.com because I ordered a charger from them. They said they stopped selling the Optima battery because of too many complaints. I'm not sure what this is all about, but I would think it must mean something coming from a place that only sells battery stuff, but then that's the only site where I've read this so far. :confused: I went to the site and found the text. Here is what they said:

Optima Batteries
As of mid May, 2002 we no longer sell the Optima batteries, although it is a fairly good battery we have had warranty issues that have discouraged us from selling Optima batteries. You may want to consider the MK Starting/Deep Cycle Batteries as they offer the sealed glass mat technology for less money and offer a large variety of amp hour sizes.

[Modified by shafman1, 10:59 AM 1/22/2003]
Old 01-22-2003, 07:06 PM
msuc5vette
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Interesting information on the Optima battery? (shafman1)

My experience with all bateries sold for car audio has been bad.

I was very disappointed in their durability, and discusted with their performance in cold Michigan weather.

My yellow top didn't last as long as my Sears DieHard Gold with the engine off, and couldn't ever start my car when it was below 32 degrees.

In my experience the battery warranty is the most important factor.

Sears has been great.
Old 01-24-2003, 04:05 PM
jimcork1
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Interesting information on the Optima battery? (msuc5vette)

?Glass Mat batteries (like ACDelco's AGM) have been designed to outlast all other battery types, including gell-cell (Optima)-type batteries.?

What is Glass Mat? I looked into Optima and emailed them on the no leak warranty. When questioned about it I got :nono: will not warranty leakage damage but only replace battery. So I just bought fact. replacement Delco. :blueangel:
Old 01-24-2003, 05:06 PM
davidmax
Drifting

Default Re: Interesting information on the Optima battery? (MANNY)

I would bet your safe.If you go over 14.4 it would be momentarilly.I find mine to max at 14.4 which is avge. for a 12 volt system.If in doubt call the Mfr. and ask.
Great price for great equipment.Dave S.
Old 01-24-2003, 11:20 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Default Re: Interesting information on the Optima battery? (jimcork1)

?Glass Mat batteries (like ACDelco's AGM) have been designed to outlast all other battery types, including gell-cell (Optima)-type batteries.?

What is Glass Mat? I looked into Optima and emailed them on the no leak warranty. When questioned about it I got :nono: will not warranty leakage damage but only replace battery. So I just bought fact. replacement Delco. :blueangel:
About AGMs: (Road & Track - June, 2002)

"Yet another example of aerospace technology finding its way into automobiles, AGM batteries package the electrolyte into moistened fiberglass matting instead of a liquid (wet cell) or jelly-like slurry (gel cel). The mat is sandwiched between the battery's lead plates, where it doubles as a vibration dampener. This makes a sealed AGM battery resistant to physical shock, somewhat finicky about charging rates, more expensive and definitely longer-lived than wet or gell-cell units."

Old 01-25-2003, 02:23 PM
RedC5
Melting Slicks

Received 132 Likes on 88 Posts

Default Re: Interesting information on the Optima battery? (Dave68)

Man...I guess I am lucky...my 5 year old C5 Delcrap has been starting up with instant strong starts, and it has been from 0-10 degrees the last two weeks. No obvious leaks either.

Get notified of new replies

To Interesting information on the Optima battery?

Quick Reply: Interesting information on the Optima battery?