C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passenger side speaker not working

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2023, 12:55 PM
yellowGS
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Passenger side speaker not working

My passenger side door speaker isn’t working. It will once in a while kick in, usually when I’ve driven over a rough section of road, it will then kick off for same reason. I thought it was a broken wire/ loose connection or bad speaker. Took off the door panel, turned on the radio and played with the wiring with no change. The wires to the speaker all look good and the connection is clean and tight. I tried to move the wiring bundle around that comes into the door and still no change.
if you listen carefully you can barely hear sound coming through the speaker.
I got a used speaker off of eBay, swapped it out, and no change.
Any thoughts on the cause?
Thanks
Old 06-20-2023, 01:10 PM
Dads2kconvertible
Drifting

Received 651 Likes on 429 Posts

I'd check the L-R balance control just because but since it sometimes comes back on a rough road it has to be a bad connection. Could be internal to the head unit, the amp, wire broken inside the insulation, wire pulling out of a connector or several other things. Without special test gear you're in for a lot of testing.
Old 06-21-2023, 05:49 AM
yellowGS
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Dads2kconvertible
I'd check the L-R balance control just because but since it sometimes comes back on a rough road it has to be a bad connection. Could be internal to the head unit, the amp, wire broken inside the insulation, wire pulling out of a connector or several other things. Without special test gear you're in for a lot of testing.
car stereo systems are definitely not my thing, but this may help to eliminate some options. Went out last night to look at it again, and see if I could recreate the cut out/in by shutting the door hard, rocking the car, etc. before I got to any of that, I turned on the radio and the sound was messed up, crackling from the driver side speakers also for the first time, and nothing from the passenger side. After about 20sec the driver side kicked in and worked fine. An additional note, it’s both the twiddler and the woofer without sound, so that suggests to me it’s from the head unit??? When I put the balance on full passenger side there is no sound from the door or the rear.
Old 06-21-2023, 09:44 AM
Dads2kconvertible
Drifting

Received 651 Likes on 429 Posts

Might find some tips in the C5 audio thread: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...audio-faq.html
Happy hunting!
Old 06-21-2023, 09:55 AM
dainon
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by yellowGS
My passenger side door speaker isn’t working. It will once in a while kick in, usually when I’ve driven over a rough section of road, it will then kick off for same reason. I thought it was a broken wire/ loose connection or bad speaker. Took off the door panel, turned on the radio and played with the wiring with no change. The wires to the speaker all look good and the connection is clean and tight. I tried to move the wiring bundle around that comes into the door and still no change.
if you listen carefully you can barely hear sound coming through the speaker.
I got a used speaker off of eBay, swapped it out, and no change.
Any thoughts on the cause?
Thanks
Take a look at your DIC codes under Radio. If you have wiring issues, it may give you a code.

Get notified of new replies

To Passenger side speaker not working

Quick Reply: Passenger side speaker not working