C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on manual 6-speed transmission replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2023, 06:40 PM
etech152
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Advice on manual 6-speed transmission replacement

I have to find a replacement 6-speed manual Transmission for my 2001 C5 Corvette

Long story short, A local Dealership tried to repair my transmission, it was previously replaced by someone and it was already worn out, soon after, I could not get the tranny into reverse. So the Dealership tried to repair it but could not get synchros for 5th gear and so the tranny was not repaired correctly. Rather than trying to "repair" a worn-out tranny, I want to replace it with a completely good one!

So, the dealership did the right thing and refunded the parts back to me for my invoice. They kept the labor because I will now go and try to find a complete working good replacement tranny for my Corvette and they will install at n/c, (because I already paid labor on my invoice) But I do not know where to start?

I need advice!

I need a good 6-speed manual transmission for my 2001 C5 Corvette Convertible. My Corvette is a manual 6-speed.

To help, my VIN # is 1G1YY32G815112565. The engine is 5.7L V8 OHV 16V, Transmission is an MM6 Transmission, Manual 6-speed, Borg Warner.

I need a very good working (prefer low mileage) replacement transmission. I do NOT want to deal with any more transmission issues so should I go with a new replacement?? or a good salvage one with low miles?? I'm fine with either as long as it is a "Good" transmission! But I need advice and suggestions. I know nothing about transmissions!!! I want a good one and not a "worn-out" salvage replacement (been there done that).

Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance for any advice, comments, or suggestions!
Old 05-16-2023, 06:50 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Call Marc at VETTENUTS. They deal in quality Corvette salvage parts. Good people, great parts. They may have a good used MN6 unit.

https://vettenuts.net/

Bill C
The following 3 users liked this post by Bill Curlee:
Dads2kconvertible (05-16-2023), LWSZ06 (05-17-2023), miami993c297 (05-22-2023)
Old 05-16-2023, 09:59 PM
Ferg03 Z06
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Also a good option is calling Jason at Texas Drivertrain Performance, he is a great guy and can help you out, if you are unable to find exactly what you are looking for.
The following users liked this post:
Tusc (05-26-2023)
Old 05-17-2023, 07:41 AM
averagejoesautos
Instructor

Received 92 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by etech152
I have to find a replacement 6-speed manual Transmission for my 2001 C5 Corvette

Long story short, A local Dealership tried to repair my transmission, it was previously replaced by someone and it was already worn out, soon after, I could not get the tranny into reverse. So the Dealership tried to repair it but could not get synchros for 5th gear and so the tranny was not repaired correctly. Rather than trying to "repair" a worn-out tranny, I want to replace it with a completely good one!

So, the dealership did the right thing and refunded the parts back to me for my invoice. They kept the labor because I will now go and try to find a complete working good replacement tranny for my Corvette and they will install at n/c, (because I already paid labor on my invoice) But I do not know where to start?

I need advice!

I need a good 6-speed manual transmission for my 2001 C5 Corvette Convertible. My Corvette is a manual 6-speed.

To help, my VIN # is 1G1YY32G815112565. The engine is 5.7L V8 OHV 16V, Transmission is an MM6 Transmission, Manual 6-speed, Borg Warner.

I need a very good working (prefer low mileage) replacement transmission. I do NOT want to deal with any more transmission issues so should I go with a new replacement?? or a good salvage one with low miles?? I'm fine with either as long as it is a "Good" transmission! But I need advice and suggestions. I know nothing about transmissions!!! I want a good one and not a "worn-out" salvage replacement (been there done that).

Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance for any advice, comments, or suggestions!
Rebuilding that tranny not an option? You are already at the STEALER'ship so the fact they are willing to work with your on a used part is signs of the times we are in because usually they install NO customer supplied parts [at least around here].

At this point...your already in for the labor...so the name of the game for you is WARRANTY!!! The longer the better. If you can find a rebuilt unit where you can send your busted on in as a core...even better and less downtime. If there is a reputable trans shop in your area that will warranty the unit for at least a year...slower but you have a local option should **** go wrong where you will NOT be charged LABOR again. At this point there a trans guys who can rebuild a TH350, TH400, or T56 with their eyes closed and hung over for a weekend bender Since you dont wrench yourself...you goal is to pay once...cry once...then move on with life. Used ones on Flea'bay appear to be going for $1,500'ish with limited warranty. For a little bit more money...you can send your transmission to tick and have them build it up for 3,000

https://www.tickperformance.com/tick...-corvette-z06/

You got options. Don't break the bank and get the most assurance you can on your decision. You DONT want to be in this spot again in a year or 6 months on a used part. Been there...done that...as a shop owner giving the bad new on a recently replaced used part

Joe

Old 05-17-2023, 08:43 AM
jthornton
Burning Brakes

Received 930 Likes on 468 Posts

Replacing the reverse shifter fork pads is pretty easy once you get to them. If your interested in how I did it I'll be glad to give you a step by step. The transmission is probably not worn out but the reverse shifter fork pads have broken up, they are plastic. I replaced mine with bronze...

JT
The following 3 users liked this post by jthornton:
Bill Curlee (05-17-2023), leadfoot4 (05-18-2023), vectorz (06-19-2023)
Old 05-18-2023, 12:04 PM
Fastguy
Team Owner

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'05

Keep in mind that you can use the MM6 your car came with, or the MM12 from the Z06, it bolts right in. They all have the same rear end gear ratio so you don't have to swap the speedo gear either.
Old 05-21-2023, 09:38 PM
wrmiles
Racer

Received 126 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by jthornton
Replacing the reverse shifter fork pads is pretty easy once you get to them. If your interested in how I did it I'll be glad to give you a step by step. The transmission is probably not worn out but the reverse shifter fork pads have broken up, they are plastic. I replaced mine with bronze...

JT
When I lost reverse on my 2002, I read about the fork pads, but my local shop was not willing or capable of going into the transmission, so I had to get a rebuilt, which sadly only lasted less than 40,000 miles (different symptoms.)
Old 05-25-2023, 07:08 PM
etech152
Racer

Hello Everyone, I have been out of State for the past week and am just now able to read the posts here. I wanted to say thank you to all who took the time to post. I still NEED a Transmission for my Corvette. There is no rush! I have time! My Corvette is still at the local Dealership and whenever I can bring them a good T56 (MM6 Transmission, Manual 6-speed, Borg Warner) They will install it for me and I will be done!

I should mention that I must bring them the transmission or have it shipped to them. I am not able to have my Transmission rebuilt because it is still in the car and they must remove it, and while they remove it, they will install the good one I will bring them. (The labor has already been paid) I am "working" with the Dealership. They refunded me all parts from the repair (about $1,400) So, I need to find a good transmission and the warranty will be on me!! So I really must find a good transmission. We already had the transmission replaced 2 years ago by a shop and within one year later it began having problems. So I don't want to go down that rabbit hole again.

I've not had much time to research and check the places mentioned above, having just got back to work today and been out of State all week. But I really do appreciate all the kind helpful replies! Any comments are still welcome. I do not know much about transmissions, so I do not know what to ask. I just want the replacement transmission to feel like it should and shift into each gear nicely and smoothly yet have that "locked-in" tight feeling (like factory) (with no sloppiness). My buddy has the same C5 Corvette and his transmission feels good and has that factory T56 feeling and locks into each gear as it should. A mechanic friend of mine said when I described this that my "dogs" were worn out. Thus why this worn-out tranny was so sloppy and stopped going into reverse and 5 and 6 gears had to be replaced and they could not find synchros for 5th, and I finally decided I just wanted another GOOD, COMPLETE, WORKING, TRANSMISSION.

My task is that I must find another good T56 Tranny for my 2001 C5 Corvette (Not a Z06 model)

One SHop said they might could get a Z06 tranny for my C5. Should I even consider a Z06? He said they have more Zip in lower gear? Thoughts??

I will have no core to send in, so I just need the whole transmission out right but am researching the best way to go.

Any comments, thoughts or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Now that I am back home I will check this forum daily!

Any Help is greatly appreciated from a long-time Forum member!
Old 05-25-2023, 07:31 PM
Alley Oop
Racer

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts

Got this from an old post: called up RPM and had a nicely built unit at my door a few weeks later, and it's been flawless for the last 22K miles

Old 05-29-2023, 10:47 AM
Steve454
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Call forum vendor RKT Performance in MD and you can probably take a day trip to pick it up...then send back your core.

As far as the Z06 transmission, you absolutely can install it in your car. It will give you a little better acceleration in the lower gears due to the ratios. For the old school Muncie guys, it's the equivalent of a M-22 or M-21 (2.20 first gear) with a 4.56 rear gear. The standard T-56 is equivalent to the M-22 with a 4.10 gear. The numbers are off slightly but it should be enough to help understand the difference.
Old 06-02-2023, 11:21 AM
etech152
Racer

Thanks, everyone for the kind and helpful post responses. I've been a little sidetracked since making this post and have not had time to post. Got a family funeral to attend tomorrow. Then got a work conference in KY next week. I still need a good tranny! I've been talking to Rick @ RKT Performance and another forum member here about a replacement transmission for my C5 Vette. I've just not had time to do anything because of life. My uncle (Dad's brother) passed away a few days ago and a few other things which have kept me from doing anything.

I appreciate all the help I can get. I know nothing about Transmissions except I need to find one for my 2001 C5 Corvette Convertible (Not a Z-06) I want to make the best possible choice I can.

Again Thank you for any helpful comments.
Old 06-03-2023, 02:05 AM
_zebra
Le Mans Master

Received 821 Likes on 539 Posts

condolences to your family. that's a tough problem to compound on top of this.

but with the core swap - once the other transmission goes in & your old one comes out, you'll have a core. they'll refund that charge after the job's done & you send the old one back.

on the Z06 gearing (M12) vs non-Z06 gearing (MM6), either one will work in your car. the difference will be in how quickly you can run through each gear (faster acceleration) because the M12 has lower ratios than what the base/vert/FRC used.
Old 06-03-2023, 06:15 AM
jthornton
Burning Brakes

Received 930 Likes on 468 Posts

Originally Posted by wrmiles
When I lost reverse on my 2002, I read about the fork pads, but my local shop was not willing or capable of going into the transmission, so I had to get a rebuilt, which sadly only lasted less than 40,000 miles (different symptoms.)
It was a pretty easy job to replace the shifter fork pads if you took your time. The transmission is not going to explode when you take the rear cover off...

JT
Old 06-03-2023, 04:30 PM
BHauber
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RKT for the win

Thanks, everyone for the kind and helpful post responses. I've been a little sidetracked since making this post and have not had time to post. Got a family funeral to attend tomorrow. Then got a work conference in KY next week. I still need a good tranny! I've been talking to Rick @ RKT Performance and another forum member here about a replacement transmission for my C5 Vette. I've just not had time to do anything because of life. My uncle (Dad's brother) passed away a few days ago and a few other things which have kept me from doing anything.

I appreciate all the help I can get. I know nothing about Transmissions except I need to find one for my 2001 C5 Corvette Convertible (Not a Z-06) I want to make the best possible choice I can.

Again Thank you for any helpful comments.
Sorry for your loss and your talking to the right guy about your transmission.
Old 06-09-2023, 05:03 PM
etech152
Racer

I wanted to follow up on my post here and thank everyone for the kind and helpful comments and also to let everyone know that I found an OEM T-56 Borg Warner 6-speed manual Z06 transmission (40k miles) for $1200 for my 2001 Corvette Z51 Convertible this week while I was on a business trip in KY from another forum member here (SuperchargedZ).

I never expected to get a message while I was out of State, and later find that person in the same state, In Fact, he was "exactly" on my way home back to NC. I would have had to drive 8 hrs (one-way) but as it was, he was only 6 miles off the Hwy from my path home, so on my travel back, I was able to drop by and pick up the transmission saving a lot of time and shipping. Plus I got to meet another nice forum member who had the tranny cleaned up and looked like new and kindly helped me load it on my truck.

This is a great forum and some really nice and helpful peeps here!

I was told the Z06 transmission will work fine and I will hardly ever tell a difference. I may have a little quicker low-end gearing and a few hundred higher RPM on the 6th gear which all sounds nice and a bit of an upgrade! (smile)

Anyhow, thanks to everyone for the kind posts and helpful comments. It just happened to all workout! Now the tranny is at the local Dealership where they can get the tranny installed. I will post the results once they get the transmission installed. I'm looking forward to getting her back on the road again!

- etech152
The following users liked this post:
Alley Oop (06-09-2023)
Old 06-09-2023, 10:05 PM
_zebra
Le Mans Master

Received 821 Likes on 539 Posts

good deal!
Old 06-19-2023, 12:01 PM
etech152
Racer

I wanted to follow up on my post here and thank everyone for the kind and helpful comments and also to let everyone know that I found an OEM T-56 Borg Warner 6-speed manual Z06 transmission (40k miles) for $1200 for my 2001 Corvette Z51 Convertible this week while I was on a business trip in KY from another forum member here (SuperchargedZ).

I never expected to get a message while I was out of State, and later find that person in the same state, In Fact, he was "exactly" on my way home back to NC. I would have had to drive 8 hrs (one-way) but as it was, he was only 6 miles off the Hwy from my path home, so on my travel back, I was able to drop by and pick up the transmission saving a lot of time and shipping. Plus I got to meet another nice forum member who had the tranny cleaned up and looked like new and kindly helped me load it on my truck.

This is a great forum and some really nice and helpful peeps here!

I was told the Z06 transmission will work fine and I will hardly ever tell a difference. I may have a little quicker low-end gearing and a few hundred higher RPM on the 6th gear which all sounds nice and a bit of an upgrade! (smile)

Anyhow, thanks to everyone for the kind posts and helpful comments. It just happened to all workout! Now the tranny is at the local Dealership where they can get the tranny installed. I will post the results once they get the transmission installed. I'm looking forward to getting her back on the road again!

- etech152
I wanted to make a final post to my thread here. The Z06 Transmission I got was installed and I just picked up my C5 Corvette from the shop this weekend and drove it this past Saturday & Sunday and was really impressed with the Z06 Transmission I received from Forum Member "SuperchargedZ" (smile)

The tranny shifts excellently and is tight and exceeded my expectations!! My C5 Corvette is SO FUN to drive now!! This IS a great forum with some really great members and I just wanted to say a big thank you to "SuperchargedZ" and to all who posted comments to my thread. You Guys ROCK!! :-)

Get notified of new replies

To Advice on manual 6-speed transmission replacement

Quick Reply: Advice on manual 6-speed transmission replacement