C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check engine light on

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2023, 09:25 PM
Tony Falcone
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Check engine light on

These codes are displayed
B2282 And B2284. they refer to left door control module. I've tried resetting codes but they return after a short while when the check engine light comes on. Can anyone help please.
Old 05-06-2023, 09:30 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,143 Likes on 846 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony Falcone
B2282 And B2284. they refer to left door control module. I've tried resetting codes but they return after a short while when the check engine light comes on. Can anyone help please.
The left door is the most complicated as it hold the most controls. Have you tested (pushed the buttons and see if it works as intended) the control panels? Mirrors, windows, locks...?
Old 05-06-2023, 10:17 PM
Tony Falcone
Advanced

yes, everything working fine.
Old 05-07-2023, 08:32 AM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,143 Likes on 846 Posts

Are your codes "C" current or "H" History----- it makes a difference? Also, do you have a wiring diagram handy from your FSM? You might want to check everything that is connected to that circuit. The ground wires/mounts are pretty persnickety on C5 and you may have an intermittent ground issue.
The following users liked this post:
Johnny Hardcore (05-07-2023)
Old 05-07-2023, 09:10 AM
Tony Falcone
Advanced

Codes are H. I don't have a service manual. Even though the codes are H and I have reset a number of times the check engine light is displaying after a few miles. There are no other codes and everything works as it should. Suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I will need Pa state inspection soon and if the check engine displays, It won't pass.

Last edited by Tony Falcone; 05-07-2023 at 10:13 AM.
Old 05-07-2023, 10:19 AM
Johnny Hardcore
Melting Slicks

Received 889 Likes on 612 Posts

If the codes are "H" then a battery disconnect may clear them. However, what do you mean "when the check engine light comes on"? Your getting a CEL as well?

What else is happening/error messages are you getting? Door control module failures won't throw a CEL.

Old 05-07-2023, 10:27 AM
Johnny Hardcore
Melting Slicks

Received 889 Likes on 612 Posts

I think your edit and my post just crossed paths. The H codes may go away with a battery disconnect. The CEL is another story. But if it's running right and your confident it's electrical...and battery is good...start with cleaning your grounds.

The large majority of gremlins in the C5 electrical system are caused by corrosion within the ground plugs.

Helpful link:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...tion-long.html

I've also had other issues like "reduced power" that were caused by a tiny frayed wire in the door accordian wire loom that connects the power to the door.
Old 05-07-2023, 12:58 PM
C5 Diag
Moderator, Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,133 Likes on 1,698 Posts

Other than the 2 “B”codes what other code to you see for the check engine light…those B codes won’t illuminate it…anything that affects the cars emissions will turn on the MIL.
Old 05-07-2023, 05:32 PM
Tony Falcone
Advanced

CEL appeared last fall just before I put it away for the winter. I added fuel stabilizer and fuel. On the way home CEL displayed. I retighten gas cap and reset the codes which were B2282 , B2284 and U1064. Went for a short ride and it was fine. Thought tightening cap solved problem. Took it out of winter storage and drove it a few times and CEL displayed. Checked codes and only B2282 & B2284 showed. I checked the 2 grounds in the engine bay and both were show room clean. (the car has 14,000 miles). I also verified that the driver's door module wiring appeared to be tight and in good order. I did not open the contact units. Then reset the two codes. Went for about a 5 mile ride and everything was ok. Following day when about a mile and the CEL displayed. Same two codes.
Old 05-07-2023, 06:02 PM
C5 Diag

Support Corvetteforum!

Again those 2 door control module DTC’s will not illuminate the check engine light and cleaning those 2 grounds behind the headlight buckets are not involved in the door modules…this is the troubleshooting tree…the U1064 is a no comm with the BCM…you need to access those 2 circuits and check for a bad connection or high resistance in those 2 circuits…a visual inspection is not good enough…this is not a ground problem.

Last edited by C5 Diag; 05-07-2023 at 06:07 PM.
Old 05-07-2023, 07:22 PM
Tony Falcone
Advanced

Thanks for your thorough replies. I don't have the tools or skills to diagnose using the info you provided. I checked battery volts=2.7. Are you referring to opening and checking the two connectors in front of the accordion connector in front of the drivers door?
I really appreciate your efforts. Also, what else could be triggering an inconsistent CEL? Coolant temp, oil pressure and temp. and everything else appears normal from my limited knowledge viewpoint.
Old 05-07-2023, 08:08 PM
C5 Diag

Support Corvetteforum!

I would seek out an auto-electric repair shop in your area…they would be the best to diagnose this…a former co worker of mine owns Walt’s Auto Electric in Stroudsburg…looks like he’s 24 miles away.
Old 05-08-2023, 10:09 AM
Tony Falcone
Advanced

Could a faulty gas cap cause the CEL but not throwing a code?
Old 05-08-2023, 10:24 AM
C5 Diag

Support Corvetteforum!

Could a faulty gas cap cause the CEL but not throwing a code?
Normally if you have the MIL illuminated you’d have a code…did you use the DIC to read your codes or a scan tool ??…why do you think it’s a gas cap ???
Old 05-08-2023, 11:08 AM
Tony Falcone
Advanced

Used DIC. Problem first occurred shortly after getting fuel last fall. I have read on the forum where a lot of members had to replace their caps. Some 2 or 3 times. My problem is intermittent and everything seems to be working fine. I'm puzzled as to how the CEL comes on but no codes other than the ones I mentioned previously. I really appreciate you taking your time to help me with this issue!
Old 05-08-2023, 11:17 AM
C5 Diag

Support Corvetteforum!

With all the junk and counterfeit parts people are getting these days from China it’s no wonder why members are changing gas caps 2 or 3 times and it may not even be the gas cap…if you decide to let Walt look at it I’ll send him a text and explain what you have going on with the car…if you want to tackle this yourself remove the connector from that rubber accordion boot you see when you open the door…disconnect the connector and check where the orange wires are connected to…they are in the wiring diagram.

Last edited by C5 Diag; 05-08-2023 at 11:36 AM.
Old 05-08-2023, 11:35 AM
Tony Falcone
Advanced

Ok. Lets do that. I am dealing with a family matter now...my daughter and her family are moving. I will get back to you when the move is complete. If you have any other thoughts in the mean time, please reach out.

Get notified of new replies

To Check engine light on

Old 05-08-2023, 11:37 AM
C5 Diag

Support Corvetteforum!

Ok. Lets do that. I am dealing with a family matter now...my daughter and her family are moving. I will get back to you when the move is complete. If you have any other thoughts in the mean time, please reach out.
So you want to wait before contacting my friend ??..if you want to inspect that connector you may find some corrosion.
Old 05-08-2023, 12:34 PM
OneFast1
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

In my experience, a CEL is likely caused by something related to emissions. I have had door module errors, but the CEL does not come on.
Old 05-09-2023, 12:00 PM
Tony Falcone
Advanced

new development... check codes again in DIC. P0442 displayed.

Quick Reply: Check engine light on