C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This may be considered Taboo to some but I want it. Exotic sonding exhaust - is it possible?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2003, 01:50 PM
Horsepower
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exotic sounding exhaust - is it possible?

After watching James Bond "Die another day" I decided I would like my car to sound as exotic as possible. Is it possible? Has anyone messed with resonators and stingers to see if they could get a Ferrari / Lambro sound? My buddy has a Viper with just resonators and it sounds wickedly exotic. Or is the LS1 stuck with the 350 Chevy sound no matter what? (Not that that is bad, I just would like to try something new.)

[Modified by Horsepower, 2:04 PM 1/15/2003]
Old 01-15-2003, 02:05 PM
pburant
Burning Brakes

Default Exotic sonding exhaust - is it possible? (Horsepower)

Corsa Pace Car might be the sound you're looking for.

Actually, a lot of people complain about the LS1 not sounding like a good ol' Chevy 350.......the firing order is different, and the head design is also a major factor in the sounds that come out the pipes.

I'm not sure what else you could do to get more of an exotic sound. I think the sound you're after is that which comes from a smaller displacement, higher revving engine, and most of the modifications people make to C5's tend to move in the opposite direction (such as headers, which will give you a deeper, more muscle car like sound).

Good luck - I hope you find the sound you're after.
Old 01-15-2003, 02:05 PM
Untouchable00
Melting Slicks

Default This may be considered Taboo to some but I want it. Exotic sonding exhaust - is it possible?

All you need is a camera crew and sound effect people and you can have it all. I think if you would like an exotic sound you will need one of those high revving engine with some serious compression ratio.

I also think that TUBI Exhaust would probably give you as much of that exotic sound that a Vette can have. TUBI exhaust systems are on many Ferraris.
Old 01-15-2003, 02:11 PM
Untouchable00
Melting Slicks

Default Re: This may be considered Taboo to some but I want it. Exotic sonding exhaust

TUBI's website:
http://www.tubistyle.it/main_eng.htm

Click on the products tab, wait for it to load up, click on General Catalogue, then open General Catalogue. You will see the brands of cars that they make exhaust systems for. There is only 1 for Chevrolet, of course, the C5.
Old 01-15-2003, 02:17 PM
Snake Slayer
Melting Slicks

Received 513 Likes on 193 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Re: This may be considered Taboo to some but I want it. Exotic sonding exhaust (Untouchable00)

Corsa Indys :yesnod:
Old 01-15-2003, 02:22 PM
SFVetteman
Drifting

Default Re: Exotic sounding exhaust - is it possible? (Horsepower)

To a large extent the exotic sound that you seek relates to the number of cylinders. It can be replicated to some degree by removing some plug wires. If you remove 2 wires that will give you more of a 6/12 cylinder sound and if you remove 3 wires it will sound more of a 5/10 cylinder sound :conehead

Seriously, you have a V8 and there is not much you can do to make it sound like anything other than a V8 :banghead:
Old 01-15-2003, 02:33 PM
TNT C5
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

Go to the Corsa web site - http://www.corsaperf.com - and they have sound bites of their systems. They could be misleading depending on your speakers but it would give you an idea of what the system sounds like. Good luck. :seeya
Old 01-15-2003, 02:37 PM
Untouchable00
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Exotic sounding exhaust - is it possible? (TNT C5)

My Corsa Indys coupled with the high stall converter sound very loud and revvy...if that is even a word. Many exotic owners love the sound of my setup, if that is any consolation.
Old 01-15-2003, 02:49 PM
vetterdstr
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
CA Events Coordinator

Corsa Touring, Basanni X pipe and TPIS longtubes will make your car sound like no other C5 around. :yesnod:

vetterdstr :cheers:
Old 01-15-2003, 02:52 PM
benelliwang
Burning Brakes

I have long tube headers, x-pipe, and A&A exhaust mod. Between 3500 to 5000 rpm. You will be suprised how much it sounds like a Ferrari V8, especially the 308.

And LS1 does not sound like a traditional SBC, the firing order is different. It sounds more like a power boat.
Old 01-15-2003, 03:20 PM
NassyVette
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Exotic sounding exhaust - is it possible? (benelliwang)

Ferrari V8's sound like they do because of the smaller displacement, and the added cams. You will never get your vette to sound like a Ferrari. But you can make it sound more exotic with the Corsa Indy's.
Old 01-15-2003, 03:29 PM
RG in Dallas
Race Director

Elite Member
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Re: This may be considered Taboo to some but I want it. Exotic sonding exhaust (Snake Slayer)

Corsa Indys :yesnod:

:iagree:

RG
Old 01-15-2003, 03:56 PM
RunNE1
Racer

Default Re: This may be considered Taboo to some but I want it. Exotic sonding exhaust (RG in Dallas)

Go with the Borla XR-1. I always get compliments on how the car sounds. At full throttle it sounds wicked, more like a race car.
Old 01-15-2003, 04:03 PM

From what I've seen and heard, headers, no cats, a good x-pipe, and something like Borla stingers/GHLs will really change the sound of the car. Almost (don't flame me) mustang like (sohc and dohc) which is sort of a rythmic howl sometimes.

The x-pipe helps even out the engine note at speed, and the straight through design of corsa's, stingers etc. keep the 350 'blat' to a minimum.

:cheers:
Old 01-15-2003, 04:29 PM
benelliwang
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Exotic sounding exhaust - is it possible? (NassyVette)

Ferrari V8's sound like they do because of the smaller displacement, and the added cams. You will never get your vette to sound like a Ferrari. But you can make it sound more exotic with the Corsa Indy's.
Well, I guess my C5 has a Ferrari Engine in there, then since it sounds like one :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Old 01-15-2003, 09:45 PM
NassyVette
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Exotic sounding exhaust - is it possible? (benelliwang)

Well, I guess my C5 has a Ferrari Engine in there, then since it sounds like one :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
If you think your car sounds like a Ferrari, then you've never heard a Ferrari. That, or you were on crack when you heard it :crazy:
Old 01-15-2003, 10:04 PM
BillY2KFRC
Le Mans Master

Received 347 Likes on 192 Posts

I've got long tube headers, heads/cam, x-pipe, no cats, and Borla Stingers. VERY exotic sound. :yesnod: Not high pitched Ferrari exotic, but very Diablo like. Deep sounds, but get a raspy higher pitched race car sound at full throttle. Also pops and spits fire an decel, many exotics will do this, Diablos with no cats, F40s, etc.

It's a fun daily driver. :D :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To This may be considered Taboo to some but I want it. Exotic sonding exhaust - is it possible?

Old 01-15-2003, 10:46 PM
D-RAWDOG
4th Gear

To tell you the truth all the systems out there sound exotic to me. The only ones that don't are the Flowmasters and the Borla Stingers that I have heard. So go with Corsa, B&B and you'll have that whiny European sound you seek. HEY this is an AMERICAN car its about V8 rumble not European Whiny sounds. All of us C5 owners are looking to get our cars away from that sound. Oh well, different strokes for different folks! Good luck on your choice of exhaust. :cheers:

[Modified by D-RAWDOG, 4:00 AM 1/16/2003]
Old 01-16-2003, 12:36 AM
jmX
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Exotic sounding exhaust - is it possible? (BillY2KFRC)

There is *nothing* exotic sounding about a borla stinger, gimmie a break folks.

Z06catback + xpipe is probably as close as you'll get from what I have heard.
Old 01-16-2003, 02:20 AM
benelliwang
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Exotic sounding exhaust - is it possible? (NassyVette)

If you think your car sounds like a Ferrari, then you've never heard a Ferrari. That, or you were on crack when you heard it :crazy:
Now wait a minute Mr. Pot Smoker. Have your heard a heads & cam (224 duration and 114 lsa, no lope at idle) car with RK sport long tubes, high flow cats, A&A x-pipe (different then other x-pipes), and A&A stock exhaust mod? It is a much different sounding beast. With the way my exhaust is tuned, it’s very quiet and does not have the bass sound of typical American V8 and no lope you can hear of unless you stick your head next to my tail pipe. At 3500 to 5000 rpm, it sounds awfully like older Ferraris. But once I go pass 5000 rpm, people will know it's not a Ferrari. Also, we are not talking about Ferrari’s wailing at 9000rpm at a race track, where every body hears the musical high pitch sound. We are talking about Ferraris just driving around town, through out the rpm range and all speed.

I live in Vegas, home of Fancy cars and high rollers. Ferrari's are very common here in this town, I see them in weekly basis. I know what they sound like. And a 308 GTSi owner I meet was very surprised that how much my car sounds like his. That was at the red rock canyon loop.

Also bunch of us went to the Celebrity car auction and these are only some of the pictures from the auction. I was in the garage and these 18 year old kids were moving these cars for the auction. Let's just say they weren't too gentle with these cars. And every time they are blasting these Ferraris to the auction floor all my friends can't believe how close my car sounds like the older Ferraris.

http://benelliwang.badassride.com/Ot...s/f50_F355.wmv
http://www.pinball.nu/ferrari/norwoo...8GTB_run_1.wav
Last, here is the link of Ferraris at a track. And a 308 at the dyno Listen to the the F355 at the track and 308 at the dyno, that's very similiar to how my car sounds from 3500 to 5000rpm. Then listen to the F50 GT1, MY CAR WILL NEVER SOUND LIKE THAT :eek: :eek: :eek: But that's an race car with high rpm, V12 and no muffler.

Also, our dear moderator: Mean Green 2000 heard my car before. So Mark, can you vouch for me? Does my car sound like a Ferrari or not?

Now if you are one of those keyboard warriors who argues behind a keyboard and do lame insults. We can do this: please mail me your digital camcorder. I will tape the sound of my car and sound of a 308 from 3500 rpm to 5000rpm. Then I will mail the tape back do you so there is no way I can edit the sound using my PC. And you post the video and let people judge.

Who's the crack head now :jester

[edit]Oops, forgot to post the video :bb

[Modified by benelliwang, 11:35 PM 1/15/2003]

Quick Reply: This may be considered Taboo to some but I want it. Exotic sonding exhaust - is it possible?