C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock LS1 piston rings

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2022, 03:06 PM
Juhatee
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Stock LS1 piston rings

I bought a set of Enginetech piston rings for my LS1 engine. I checked the end gaps before installation and the top rings were with 0.024" end gap. I checked this with all top rings in each cylinder and also in the bottom area where the piston hasn't visited. All other rings were with proper end gaps but the top ones are garbage.
Since it was a very long wait and quite expensive to get those rings in here (Finland) in the first place, I wouldn't want to do the same mistake again. Is there a good source for file to fit rings and can they be sourced as a top ring sets?
Old 11-29-2022, 11:34 AM
ariZona06
Racer

Received 362 Likes on 198 Posts

Saw these in my Summit catalogue. Hopefully not to pricey to ship to your side of the planet, maybe you could find a local dealer.
Old 11-29-2022, 12:58 PM
grinder11
Race Director

Received 3,606 Likes on 2,556 Posts

IIRC, and I may not , you're supposed to have roughly .004" per inch of bore diameter. This means you should have only .016"-.018" max gap. With a .024" end gap on a 3.900" bore, you could run a 500hp shot of Nitrous and still not worry about butting the ring ends !!
Old 11-29-2022, 01:52 PM
Juhatee
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ariZona06
Saw these in my Summit catalogue. Hopefully not to pricey to ship to your side of the planet, maybe you could find a local dealer.
I already have a ring filer. It's unable to make too short rings longer though

Too bad I'm making this a stock engine. I could use all the power adders in the world with these.
Enginetech replied they need to fulfill SAE standards, not OEM ones... Though they admitted these wont fill even SAE ones.
Old 11-29-2022, 01:56 PM
grinder11
Race Director

Received 3,606 Likes on 2,556 Posts

Originally Posted by Juhatee
I already have a ring filer. It's unable to make too short rings longer though

Too bad I'm making this a stock engine. I could use all the power adders in the world with these.
Enginetech replied they need to fulfill SAE standards, not OEM ones... Though they admitted these wont fill even SAE ones.
Yes, as my boss once said to me while I was still an apprentice, "some guys here are really fast at removing metal on the lathe. But every one of them suck at putting it back on!!"

Get notified of new replies

To Stock LS1 piston rings