C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st & 3rd gear grinding

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2022, 04:18 AM
Yosdy
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st & 3rd gear grinding

So I have a 2003 z06 and just about 7 months ago I replaced the clutch to a stage 3 and put a new Slave Pump and Master cylinder. The car was driving perfect and about a month ago my 1st gear would grind when I tried to put it in gear only if I tried to insert it within 1-3 seconds of pressing down the clutch. If I leave the clutch pressed for about 5 seconds the gear goes in without any issues or if i shift to 2nd and then enter to 1st no grinding either and goes in right away. Now it was only 1st gear and about a week ago my 3rd gear started having the same issue when shifting from 2nd to 3rd it grinds and after the grind it goes in. I have no idea what it could be took down the clutch and everything on the clutch looks fine. Flywheel, pressure plate. I feel like it’s not disengaging fully.
Old 10-05-2022, 07:01 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 474 Likes on 351 Posts

Sounds like me, aftermarket clutch overwhelming factory hydraulics. Tick master was the cure for me.
Old 10-05-2022, 07:44 PM
Yosdy
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Supercharged111
Sounds like me, aftermarket clutch overwhelming factory hydraulics. Tick master was the cure for me.

So I already changed the master cylinder. It continues to do it. Perhaps I should flush the clutch fluid maybe it’s a specific one. Unless they sell performance master cylinders?
Old 10-05-2022, 07:46 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 474 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by Yosdy
So I already changed the master cylinder. It continues to do it. Perhaps I should flush the clutch fluid maybe it’s a specific one. Unless they sell performance master cylinders?
That's what a Tick master is. I too tried a new GM unit to no avail.
Old 10-07-2022, 03:44 PM
gpracer1
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Possible bad blocker rings/synchros or maybe first gear due to pilot bearing drag?

Get notified of new replies

To 1st & 3rd gear grinding

Quick Reply: 1st & 3rd gear grinding