C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rhythmic vibration above 65

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2022, 07:28 PM
grinder11
Race Director

Received 3,606 Likes on 2,556 Posts

Originally Posted by jim993
Get a good balance of all four wheels/tires. Make sure the tech watches each for out of round tires or bent wheels. Tires on bent wheels can be balanced but still cause a vibration from out of roundness.
Good advice, and I'd like to add that a good wheel balance includes "road force." IDK exactly what that means, but as you said, Jim, it will expose a bent wheel pretty quickly.......
Old 10-04-2022, 07:35 PM
grinder11
Race Director

Received 3,606 Likes on 2,556 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverC5guy
No and no, I just find it hard to believe that 4 different tires and nothing would change. I have zero shake in the steering wheel, its still in the exact same spot and still improves after driving for 30 minutes or so. Something is getting warm and exapnding with heat to improve it.
How about an over the axle exhaust pipe making just enough rhythmic contact where it shouldn’t? This happened to me on the passenger side, and I had a Hell of a time finding it, even with a lift!
Old 10-07-2022, 03:49 PM
gpracer1
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

If mine sits for a week with those soft 140 treadwear tires, I leave at 4 am when they are cold and the flat spots will do that rhythmic deal till the tires warm up and lose the flat spot. In a long sweeping turn it will change the frequency and outside tires change sync with inside.

Quick Reply: Rhythmic vibration above 65