C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check Engine light on and dealer wants $1400??

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2003, 11:14 PM
MatthewC
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check Engine light on and dealer wants $1400??

I am new and got a question about 98 C5. We took the car to the dealership cause the check engine light came on. Here are the codes for the dealer pulled for us

P0102 Max airflow sensor circuit low freq.
P0103 Max airflow sensor circuit high freq.
P0157 Heated Oxygen sensor circuit low voltage Bank 2 sensor 2
P1416 Air system bank 2
P1431 Fuel level sensor 2 circuit performance

Those are the codes they pulled. They wanted to change the max airflow sensor check valve, O2 sensor (not sure he meant all or not), and something about air injection or something like that

Can anyone please give me input please? HELP!!!!
Old 01-07-2003, 11:59 PM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Re: Check Engine light on and dealer wants $1400?? (MatthewC)

Matt,

Get the heck away from the dealer. slowly back away from the counter and run!!!

Only go to the dealer for warranty repair. Since your 98 is probably out of warranty just flee.

Dealer is only trying to get you to #1 fork over a lot of cash for his profit or #2 trying to get you to trade in on a new C5.

How long has the Ck engine light been on?

did they mention if the codes had a "H" behind them indicating a history code or a "C" meaning current code.

The P0102&3 is actually a Mass Air Flow sensor code which is the electronic device between your air intake and the according like tube that goes into your Throttle Body.

The other codes relate to your oxygen sensors that read your emmisions before and after your catalytic converters.

I would #1 never go back to the dealer, #2 clear the codes from the DIC and see if they reoccur. if they do take it to a good non dealer shop.

A good shop can replace your O2 sensors for a fraction of the cost the dealer is quoting.

I'm not an expert but or mechanic but you might also have a MAF (Mass Air Flow) going bad.

Sounds like a job for someone who knows what they are doing and not trying to take advantage of you, like the freakin dealer.

$1400 because they found some codes!!! :mad :mad :mad
Old 01-08-2003, 12:10 AM
lost
Drifting

Were they C codes or H codes? PCMs like any other computer will have glitches. If they showed up as C(current) you have actual problems, but not $1400 worth. There may only be oil on your Mas or a poor connection. If they were H (history)chalk it up to PCM glitch. Clear them and see if they return. The air bank code could be just a sticking check valve or a poor connection. Definitely get a second opinion.The O2 sensor is after the cats and really won't affect the way the car runs that much. Any auto parts store will have it for about $50..
Old 01-08-2003, 02:25 AM
ronf
Advanced

Better than my dealer...I have a Vortex rammer on my car for two years. Never a check engine light until last weekend. They told me it was the Vortex rammer causing it. What the best way to clean the MAF sensor?
Old 01-08-2003, 09:36 AM
wwashing
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Check Engine light on and dealer wants $1400?? (ronf)

What the best way to clean the MAF sensor?
Very gently. Use a q-tip and some solvent (denatured alchohol). :cheers:
Old 01-08-2003, 10:23 AM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 445 Likes on 382 Posts

Hello Mat,

I hope you will find the forum a great asset...now lets try to reduce that bill to $100.00.

If the car is still in the dealer, try not to burn a bridge, but remove the car.
Please note, those items look like "smog" related items (I know the 02 sensors are) and should still be covered by warrenty.

Codes can be pulled by the owner from the DIC....and cleared.

That is what I would do first...clear the codes and see what re-sets.

The denutured achcohol is the step to first the MAF. That may be all that is wrong.

Bottomline: renegociate with the dealer or pull the car for a while, while your "club" trys to help you fix your Corvette on-line.

Old 01-08-2003, 11:33 AM
scool93535
Drifting

Default Re: Check Engine light on and dealer wants $1400?? (Gary2KC5)

Matt,

Get the heck away from the dealer. slowly back away from the counter and run!!!
:iagree:

Try clearing the codes and, get a second opinion if they won't clear.

The MAT codes may be caused by the same problem I encountered, a broken wire in the connector that plugs into the MAT. The factory tends to cut this connection a little short and eventually it breaks. Get a replacement connector cut off the old one, and extend the wire a little bit, 1 - 2 inches. Don't get crazy, you don't want it to be able to drop down and hit the belt.

LOL

:cheers:
Old 01-08-2003, 01:25 PM
MatthewC
4th Gear

Default Re: Check Engine light on and dealer wants $1400?? (scool93535)

thank you for the advice guys. I am just wondering if I use the Qtip and try to clean the sensor. Where would be located at? Also, what is the tub going from the sensor to the throttle body at cause I want to check for oil in it too? Can anyone be kind enough show me a picture what i would be looking at and where then MAF sensor please? Great board and very helpful. Thanks alot guys

Old 01-08-2003, 01:30 PM
Shinobi'sZ
Le Mans Master

Received 439 Likes on 236 Posts

Default Re: Check Engine light on and dealer wants $1400?? (wwashing)

I would recommend taking the MAF off and spraying it with electical connector cleaner...it evoporates very quickly and does not leave residue. When I blew up my motor I had oil from the airfilter to the intake. I cleaned the MAF this way and it worked great..you do not even have to touch the sensors with anything...just spray them off.
Old 01-08-2003, 02:12 PM
aces
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Check Engine light on and dealer wants $1400?? (Shinobi'sZ)

clear the codes and see what turns up again before you do anything. My .02

Do you know how to pull codes using the DIC ?
Old 01-08-2003, 02:14 PM
Steve02C5
Safety Car

Matt, try the events section for your area and see if there's not a group which have mod-days. Here in the Houston area I've been befriended by a great group who regularly have mod-days and they've helped me immeasurably - you guys know who I'm talking about, many thanks. :cheers:
Old 01-08-2003, 02:16 PM
Smiley1
Intermediate

I THINK I had the same problem.

Any way, The dealer tried resetting the car but the Check Engine light would reappear after 15 minutes of us. this happen four times.
Finally, it was discovered that the wiring for the plug to the Mass Air was bad.
It cost the warrentee company 25.00 for the part and 102.00 for the labor.

Hope that is the problem for you, cause its a cheap fix.

Good luck.
;)
Old 01-08-2003, 06:44 PM
TexasRedZ06
Drifting

Do you have any mods on your car, like a K&N filter??? These are sometimes over-oiled and can cause the MAF wire to be dirty, triggering some of your codes.

1st thing is to nicely get your car back, pull the DIC codes, write them all down, resetting the codes and see if they reappear.

You can do the code checking yourself via the Corvetteforum tech info at: https://www.corvetteforum.com/techti...D=26&TopicID=1
Old 01-08-2003, 07:01 PM
Dicecal
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Re: Check Engine light on and dealer wants $1400?? (TexasRedZ06)

Hey guys, gonna piggy back on this thread. What do you know about PCM codes P0327 and P0332. Both have Cs and Hs after them. The check engine light is on as well. Round one with the dealer they relpaced the knock sensor. However, while driving it home, guess what came on again? Going back tomorrow for round 2 on this one.....Thanks!!
Old 01-08-2003, 07:17 PM
bullahu
Racer

Hey Fellas, I must commend all of you for your input and feedback. By coming to this site individuals, like myself, who are not mechanically inclined can get some valuable information and definetly save some dough. Thanks guys for sharing! :thumbs:
Old 01-08-2003, 07:34 PM
Z06 Quin
Safety Car

Default Re: Check Engine light on and dealer wants $1400?? (Dicecal)

Hey guys, gonna piggy back on this thread. What do you know about PCM codes P0327 and P0332. Both have Cs and Hs after them. The check engine light is on as well. Round one with the dealer they relpaced the knock sensor. However, while driving it home, guess what came on again? Going back tomorrow for round 2 on this one.....Thanks!!
P0327 Knock Sensor (KS) Circuit Front -B

P0332 Knock Sensor (KS) Circuit Rear -B

Here's what the codes mean anyway.....it sounds to me like the knock sensor is fine, they need to find the source of the knock....I've heard that a poorly braced exhaust can rattle against things and make the sensors think they see a knock.....but that's just something I've heard before...

On the MAF issue, I've had theat code before when my MAF wasn't connected securely to the intake ducts.....just something else to check :)

Old 01-08-2003, 08:01 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,395 Likes on 748 Posts

Matt,

You've got some good advice here. One other thing I'd do is use the "member locator" (under the Tools button above) and see who's in your local area that would be able to give you a hand.

Best thing to do is, don't panic, clear the codes, see if they return: if not, :D, if so, then come to this forum for some of the best advice you can find.

Good luck, and keep us informed,
Mike

Get notified of new replies

To Check Engine light on and dealer wants $1400??

Old 01-08-2003, 08:11 PM
1999 White C5 Coupe
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

MathewC,

Check your emission warranty - it is longer than the new car warranty. The items you listed are covered by the emission warranty (which is longer by mileage and time).

Good luck.
Old 01-08-2003, 08:24 PM
FlamerF1
Instructor

Default Re: Check Engine light on and dealer wants $1400?? (1999 White C5 Coupe)

Find a good honest tech. to look at your car, it fixes like any other Chevy, there are no tricks but you need someone who knows what they are doing ,not guesing. and using some kind of scan tool. Dont be scared to pay a profesonal.
Old 01-08-2003, 11:00 PM
TooManyIDs
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Check Engine light on and dealer wants $1400?? (Shinobi'sZ)

I would recommend taking the MAF off and spraying it with electical connector cleaner...it evoporates very quickly and does not leave residue. When I blew up my motor I had oil from the airfilter to the intake. I cleaned the MAF this way and it worked great..you do not even have to touch the sensors with anything...just spray them off.
:iagree:

Quick Reply: Check Engine light on and dealer wants $1400??