C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2K Coupe EBCM

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2022, 12:43 PM
cdee63
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 644 Likes on 300 Posts
Default 2K Coupe EBCM

It is my understanding the failure of the EBCM on 2K and earlier will give the warning lights and the traction control is always activated. I also have read that this will prevent wheel spin even if one wants to roast the hides. I ask is this the case? I recently acquired a 2K with the lights lit, (Trac control and abs) that will spin the tires at will. Could I have lucked out with the issue not being a fried computer? Because I am in Michigan and the car in Florida (I am in FL now visiting driving it for the first time) I cannot pull codes.
Old 09-22-2022, 10:56 PM
Dnacc5
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It’s the other way around. It disables traction control, abs, and active handling when the EBCM goes bad. Therefore you are able to do burnouts and such.
The following users liked this post:
cdee63 (09-23-2022)
Old 09-23-2022, 08:51 AM
cdee63
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Thank you! It is something I definitely want to fix, the car seems to want to become quite a handful pretty quick when it starts spinning. I have read the 01+ swap sticky quite a few times, a bit complicated but not too bad it seems.
Old 09-23-2022, 09:00 AM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 316 Likes on 271 Posts

You need to run the codes on the dash or with a code reader, that will give you a better idea of the problem, google the C5 for the procedures or someone will on the forum will chime in with how to do it. Often the abs light is a faulty connection (happened to me) and it the Steering Wheel Position Sensor goes bad the AH light will appear (also happened to me). Never chase a problem with throwing money on parts, find the cause and then look for the fix. Many times I have had problems with my 2000 and found a workable solution on the forum...saved $$$ from going to a dealer or repair shop.
Old 09-23-2022, 03:19 PM
cdee63
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

For sure. I can read the codes but my tools including my reader are in boxes ready for the move to FL where the car is currently.
Old 09-23-2022, 03:29 PM
Road Runner
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 172 Likes on 95 Posts
St. Jude Contributor '03 & '04

The C5 is the “tool”
Turn the key to the ON position, but don't start the engine. Clear any present messages by pressing the RESET button.Hold the OPTIONS button down, and press the FUEL button 4 times.This will get you into the CODES section of the DIC. The computer will automatically display all the codes your car has created. It will cycle through each code every 3 seconds. Any code that ends in H is a history code (something that has occured in the past) but is fine now.

Once the computer has finished going through all of it's codes, press RESET to enter Manual Configuration mode. It should start with a module and show "NO CODES" or "# CODES".

Press OPTIONS to go to the next module.

To reset the codes once in manual mode, press and hold RESET until it displays "NO CODES".

Press OPTIONS to go to the next module.

Repeat the steps until you have reset the codes in all the computer modules. NOTE !! Only reset the codes IF you want to - it is NOT necessary to do this.
cdee63 (09-24-2022)
Old 09-24-2022, 11:03 AM
cdee63
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Thank You!! I'd like the post twice if I could!
Old 09-26-2022, 07:02 AM
corvettezman
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 799 Likes on 449 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '15, '16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by cdee63
Thank you! It is something I definitely want to fix, the car seems to want to become quite a handful pretty quick when it starts spinning. I have read the 01+ swap sticky quite a few times, a bit complicated but not too bad it seems.
Stay away from Vipers
Just kidding.... older generation Vipers have no nannies and are about 500HP . I owned an 03 and it was a handful but I come from a generation that survived driving high performance cars with no nannies.
Your situation would not bother me personally, but the lights on the dash would drive me crazy. If there was a way to turn them off. Is there
Old 09-26-2022, 08:11 AM
cdee63
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

I hear you about the Viper. I started my chassis design career on the original Viper program in May 89. No ABS or Trac Control and that was on purpose, I have been bitten a few times by the car, luckily on a test track.
corvettezman (09-26-2022)

Get notified of new replies

To 2K Coupe EBCM

Quick Reply: 2K Coupe EBCM