C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tpms issue after replacing 1 sensor

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2022, 03:17 PM
therealmateo
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 26 Posts
Default tpms issue after replacing 1 sensor

i had a tire shop replace a tpms in my left front tire after months of reading out of service. i got it replaced, they relearned the sensors and all was fine, although i only remember the horn beeping once while he did it, not 4 times times like i read is supposed to happen. on my way home later that day, i realized all the sensors were not reading. I took the car back today and they were able to relearn the one they replaced to the car, but the other 3 are not responding. he hooked his diagnostic tool up and said that he wasnt getting any codes saying the sensors are bad, but they arent able to be relearned.
Before i buy another 3 sensors at $88 a piece, has any one had this happen? What are the chances that all of a sudden my other 3 sensor all crap out right after a new one goes in? Is it a computer problem? Id hate to have to take it in to chevy if its a simple issue. i did use search and did not find anything regarding this exact issue. thanks for your help.
Old 08-26-2022, 11:41 AM
spfautsch
Racer

Received 165 Likes on 117 Posts

Do you know if they were attempting to wake / trigger the 3 old sensors with a magnet or a TPMS tool? My guess is they were using a TPMS tool and your 3 old ones are the OE style with a reed switch. These won't respond to a TPMS tool.
Old 08-26-2022, 12:09 PM
therealmateo
Instructor

Originally Posted by spfautsch
Do you know if they were attempting to wake / trigger the 3 old sensors with a magnet or a TPMS tool? My guess is they were using a TPMS tool and your 3 old ones are the OE style with a reed switch. These won't respond to a TPMS tool.
I am not sure. But it looks like something that went down to the stem and went around it. I thought thats what the magnet process was but maybe he was using a tpms tool. however, wouldnt all the sensors need to be relearned after installing a new one? and is so, wouldnt the 3 have shown as bad right when i drove off instead of later that day if he wasnt able to relearn them?
Old 08-26-2022, 12:19 PM
purrvert
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

From the owners manual.

"As soon as the receiver learns the first sensor code, all previously stored codes are erased from the receivers memory."

All four sensors need to be programed in order LF, RF, RR, LR.
Old 08-26-2022, 12:38 PM
therealmateo
Instructor

Originally Posted by purrvert
From the owners manual.

"As soon as the receiver learns the first sensor code, all previously stored codes are erased from the receivers memory."

All four sensors need to be programed in order LF, RF, RR, LR.
huh...i wonder if he tried to reprogram the others with the tool and then couldnt and thought they were fine...dang it, i gotta go back there and fight with them over this again
Old 08-26-2022, 12:50 PM
purrvert
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Your horn needs to sound four times.

PM Sensor Programming

The Tire Pressure Monitor (TPM) system interfaces with the Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) through the serial data line. Once the program mode is accessed through the IPC, each sensors unique identification code can be programmed into the receiver's memory.

Each sensor must transmit the unique code in the proper sequence. A magnet must be held close to the sensor in order to force the sensor to transmit the identification code. The IPC will display a message as each sensor is programmed, and when to proceed to the next sensor for programming. The receiver also sends a message to the BCM to sound the horn one time, indicating that the sensor properly transmitted an identification code. If the programming sequence is cancelled before any sensor is programmed, or if the vehicle's battery is disconnected, the receiver will remember all current identification codes. As soon as the receiver learns the first sensor code, all previously stored codes are erased from the receivers memory.

Programming TPM Sensors

Tool Required

Tire Pressure Monitor (TPM) System Programming Tool Tire Pressure Monitor (TPM) System Programmer
(TPM System Programming Tool means "magnet" to ordinary C5 owners!)

Important: Make sure the vehicle has been stationary for at least 2 minutes before attempting to program the TPM sensors.

1. Turn the ignition to ON.

2. Press the RESET button in order to clear any IPC display warning messages.

3. Press and release the OPTIONS button on the DIC to scroll through the display options until the IPC display is blank.

4. Press and hold the DIC RESET button for 3 seconds.

5. Press the OPTIONS button again until the TIRE TRAINING message appears.

Notice: If the TIRE TRAINING message cannot be displayed, and the IPC is functioning properly, check if the BCM is configured with the correct RPO codes. Refer to BCM Programming/RPO configuration.

6. Press the RESET button until the IPC LEARN L FRONT TIRE message appears in order to begin the programming sequence.

7. Install the J 41760 Tire Pressure Monitor (TPM) System Programming Tool over the left front valve stem.

8. The horn will sound, indicating the left front TPM sensor is programmed.

Important: If the horn does not sound after 15 seconds, remove then reinstall the TPM sensor programming tool. This procedure may have to be attempted up to three times in some instances.

When the horn sounds, proceed to program the next TPM sensor in the following order as directed by the IPC messages

- LEARN R FRONT TIRE

- LEARN R REAR TIRE

- LEARN L REAR TIRE

Programming Cancellation

1. The programming mode will be cancelled if any of the following conditions are met

- The program mode is exited through the DIC.

- The ignition is turned to OFF.

- All four sensors have been programmed.

- The TPM system has been in the program mode for longer than 2 minutes and no sensors have been learned.

2. If the program mode is cancelled with less than four codes stored, the receiver will only accept the codes programmed up to that point.

Last edited by purrvert; 08-26-2022 at 12:56 PM.
Old 08-26-2022, 01:07 PM
spfautsch
Racer

Received 165 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by therealmateo
dang it, i gotta go back there and fight with them over this again
Or you could just do it yourself and learn something in the process. This is why I never let anyone touch my vehicles if I can't supervise. You can't compel anyone to give a **** if they don't, period.

If they installed an OE style sensor, all you will need is a magnet. It doesn't need to be a very strong magnet either - I've triggered the OE sensors in my winter set with a small disc type neodymium magnet like you can buy at hobby shops and hardware stores. Place it directly on the flat part of the inside radius of the rim adjacent to where the valve stem is.

purrvert is correct - when the relearn process is initiated all sensor ids are erased from the RCDLR. The DIC may still show stored pressure numbers for the now missing sensors, until the vehicle has been driven above a certain speed for a period of time. EDIT: Furthermore, the RCDLR will only save the learned sensor IDs after all four have been successfully learned.

If they installed a newer style universal sensor you may need a RF tool to trigger that one.

Last edited by spfautsch; 08-26-2022 at 06:21 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Samas (08-26-2022)

Get notified of new replies

To tpms issue after replacing 1 sensor

Quick Reply: tpms issue after replacing 1 sensor