C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Sschrader 33500 TPMS, can't get them to relearn

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2022, 05:34 PM
JJLovell
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default New Sschrader 33500 TPMS, can't get them to relearn

Had new tires installed today and had them replace the TPMS units, the originals had 103000 miles on them, After trying several times with no luck I figured I better ask the the pros here on the forum. Any hints or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 08-22-2022, 03:00 PM
WytNyt
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JJLovell
Had new tires installed today and had them replace the TPMS units, the originals had 103000 miles on them, After trying several times with no luck I figured I better ask the the pros here on the forum. Any hints or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!
  • I've often heard you need to let all the air out and re-inflate to wake them up.
Old 08-23-2022, 09:50 AM
SC427
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist

Default Tpms

I had new sensors installed several years ago along with new tires. Tried the relearn procedure several times with no luck.
Come to find out sensors had to be programed before install. Had to dismount tires and program.
Old 08-23-2022, 10:49 AM
purrvert
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

From owners manual

J 41760 = strong magnet, preferably donut shaped.

I they are Schrader EZ-sensors 33500 (315/433 MHZ) they may need to be programmed prior to installation. youtube search.

PM Sensor Programming

The Tire Pressure Monitor (TPM) system interfaces with the Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) through the serial data line. Once the program mode is accessed through the IPC, each sensors unique identification code can be programmed into the receiver's memory.

Each sensor must transmit the unique code in the proper sequence. A magnet must be held close to the sensor in order to force the sensor to transmit the identification code. The IPC will display a message as each sensor is programmed, and when to proceed to the next sensor for programming. The receiver also sends a message to the BCM to sound the horn one time, indicating that the sensor properly transmitted an identification code. If the programming sequence is cancelled before any sensor is programmed, or if the vehicle's battery is disconnected, the receiver will remember all current identification codes. As soon as the receiver learns the first sensor code, all previously stored codes are erased from the receivers memory.

Programming TPM Sensors

Tool Required

Tire Pressure Monitor (TPM) System Programming Tool Tire Pressure Monitor (TPM) System Programmer
(TPM System Programming Tool means "magnet" to ordinary C5 owners!)

Important: Make sure the vehicle has been stationary for at least 2 minutes before attempting to program the TPM sensors.

1. Turn the ignition to ON.

2. Press the RESET button in order to clear any IPC display warning messages.

3. Press and release the OPTIONS button on the DIC to scroll through the display options until the IPC display is blank.

4. Press and hold the DIC RESET button for 3 seconds.

5. Press the OPTIONS button again until the TIRE TRAINING message appears.

Notice: If the TIRE TRAINING message cannot be displayed, and the IPC is functioning properly, check if the BCM is configured with the correct RPO codes. Refer to BCM Programming/RPO configuration.

6. Press the RESET button until the IPC LEARN L FRONT TIRE message appears in order to begin the programming sequence.

7. Install the J 41760 Tire Pressure Monitor (TPM) System Programming Tool over the left front valve stem.

8. The horn will sound, indicating the left front TPM sensor is programmed.

Important: If the horn does not sound after 15 seconds, remove then reinstall the TPM sensor programming tool. This procedure may have to be attempted up to three times in some instances.

When the horn sounds, proceed to program the next TPM sensor in the following order as directed by the IPC messages

- LEARN R FRONT TIRE

- LEARN R REAR TIRE

- LEARN L REAR TIRE

Programming Cancellation

1. The programming mode will be cancelled if any of the following conditions are met

- The program mode is exited through the DIC.

- The ignition is turned to OFF.

- All four sensors have been programmed.

- The TPM system has been in the program mode for longer than 2 minutes and no sensors have been learned.

2. If the program mode is cancelled with less than four codes stored, the receiver will only accept the codes programmed up to that point.

Last edited by purrvert; 08-23-2022 at 01:37 PM.
Old 08-24-2022, 12:47 PM
spfautsch
Racer

Received 165 Likes on 117 Posts

Schrader 33500 are universal programmable sensors. You should consult whoever you purchased them from to find out if they've been configured for your application. If not they will likely need to be removed so they can be configured. Without this type of programming they will not work, period.

After that's sorted out, you most likely will need a TPMS trigger tool to wake them up for relearn / training. Search for OEC-T5 on Amazon or eBay - they're about $12.

Edit: After re-reading the initial post - if you had this done at a shop with the wheels separate from the vehicle they should be configured. You may just need the TPMS tool to wake them up. Or take the car to the shop as they will surely have the RF tool.
Old 08-24-2022, 01:21 PM
MetalMan2
Melting Slicks

Received 1,031 Likes on 654 Posts

Recently I did a bunch of research on TPMS options for our cars and am considering the Schrader 33700 - but as @spfautsch noted this and the 33500 have to be programmed to suit your vehicle. This is different than triggering a TMPS sensor like you would with a magnet on other sensors. I was looking at buying pre-programmed Schrader 33700 from this seller: https://www.tpms.com/Chevrolet-Corve...5.htm?CartID=1

Proper programming tools for the 33500 cost $200+; the tire shop ought to have one... it may be worth confirming the tire shop programmed the sensors.
Old 08-24-2022, 01:35 PM
spfautsch
Racer

After a bit of reading it seems these sensors require the RF tool (OEC-T5 or similar) to wake them. At least nothing in the product documentation mentions anything about magnetic activation.

MetalMan2: You may want to check out my posts in this thread. Also, if you are willing to use pop-in valve stems and have a 2001 or newer RFA / RCDLR, there's currently a cheaper option available on Amazon for $77 a set. PM me if interested.

Last edited by spfautsch; 08-24-2022 at 02:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MetalMan2 (08-24-2022)
Old 08-25-2022, 05:30 PM
feeder82
Melting Slicks

Received 991 Likes on 627 Posts

I put 4 new Schrader 20117 tpms in mine, $55 a piece. Reset with a speaker magnet using the factory procedure. No issues. Just my 2cents since there have been multiple posts with this problem lately.
Old 08-25-2022, 05:59 PM
spfautsch
Racer

Originally Posted by feeder82
I put 4 new Schrader 20117 tpms in mine, $55 a piece. Reset with a speaker magnet using the factory procedure. No issues. Just my 2cents since there have been multiple posts with this problem lately.
This is as meaningless to the OP's question as I can imagine. You might as well also mention what size tampon you use.
Old 08-25-2022, 08:54 PM
feeder82
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by spfautsch
This is as meaningless to the OP's question as I can imagine. You might as well also mention what size tampon you use.
No actually it's to point out which parts actually work. Try posting something helpful instead
Old 08-26-2022, 10:53 AM
MetalMan2
Melting Slicks

Received 1,031 Likes on 654 Posts

Originally Posted by feeder82
No actually it's to point out which parts actually work. Try posting something helpful instead
So far we've been trying to help OP make the parts work that are currently on the car. He doesn't need to go out and buy new parts unnecessarily...
Old 08-26-2022, 05:23 PM
feeder82
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MetalMan2
So far we've been trying to help OP make the parts work that are currently on the car. He doesn't need to go out and buy new parts unnecessarily...
no he doesn't but someone else that reads this post might find it helpfull that the ones I used are without issues. Like I said before there are mutilple posts for this same issue
Old 08-26-2022, 05:45 PM
spfautsch
Racer

There have already been multiple posts with this same issue. I'm only ridiculing your contribution because you're stating you bought the OE equivalent sensors and they worked exactly like the OE sensors should have. Groundbreaking discovery. (is my sarcasm coming through clearly?)

I'm trying to help people with this stuff because there aren't a lot of resources out there to draw on, and before long the OE style sensors for this car will be discontinued just like the OE sensors for the '97-'00 cars were.

Also, I enjoy helping people avoid paying the Corvette tax. But it seems the vast majority of forum members do whatever they can to thwart my efforts. Oh well.

The part # the OP posted is a programmable, universal sensor that is of a modern design and completely different from the OE design. Modern meaning something newer than 2008-9. To my knowledge, none of these sensors were equipped with a reed switch (for magnetic activation) and can only be triggered by a 120khz TPMS tool. Other than this singular difference, they will perform exactly as intended.
Old 08-26-2022, 10:33 PM
jdmvette
Night Owl for life
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,291 Likes on 1,687 Posts

Originally Posted by spfautsch
You might as well also mention what size tampon you use.

Old 08-26-2022, 11:12 PM
feeder82
Melting Slicks

What ever
Old 08-27-2022, 12:04 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,354 Likes on 1,103 Posts

These are the two magnets that I've used, over the years. The one on the left, is obviously the "professional" one, which I bought earlier this year. The one on the right, was a 'Stanley Tool' magnet, that I bought a number of years ago, in a hardware store.......

Old 08-27-2022, 09:32 PM
spfautsch
Racer

I give up.

Get notified of new replies

To New Sschrader 33500 TPMS, can't get them to relearn

Old 08-31-2022, 05:44 PM
JJLovell
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I ended up taking the car back to the shop that installed the tires after trying the magnets a dozen times. They had a handheld electronic scanner looking thing, it worked, all is good...Thanks guys
Old 08-31-2022, 06:16 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,354 Likes on 1,103 Posts

I ended up taking the car back to the shop that installed the tires after trying the magnets a dozen times. They had a handheld electronic scanner looking thing, it worked, all is good...Thanks guys
Old 08-31-2022, 06:30 PM
spfautsch
Racer

Glad you were able to get it sorted out. If you want to be able to retrain them on your own you'll need something like I mentioned previously - OEC-T5 (120hkz RF) is the cheapest you can get without buying a full-blown TPMS programming device like the tire shop had.

Last edited by spfautsch; 08-31-2022 at 06:36 PM.

Quick Reply: New Sschrader 33500 TPMS, can't get them to relearn